Has anyone seen...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefkathleen

Sous Chef
The new trailer for the Julia Child movie that's coming out? Meryl Streep is playing her. LMAO at it last night. I can't wait to see the movie!
I think the title may be "Julie & Julia"

Well, I'll be darned! I didn't know it was a book. Was it good? I usually like to read the book before I watch the movie.

Yes, it was a really good read. I love food and travel literature so this was perfect reading for me. Maybe I'll get it from the library and re-read it before I see the movie. So often they completely change the story from the book to the movie. "Under the Tuscan Sun" anybody? That movie in no way resembled the book and not for the better! And that will probably be the case here because the movie trailer seems to follow Julia Child's life as a parallel to the Julie story. In the book, the only Julia Child story line was about Julie making all the recipes in Julia's cookbook, as I recall. Regardless, I'll see the movie because I love Julia and cooking!

Yes, it was a really good read. I love food and travel literature so this was perfect reading for me. Maybe I'll get it from the library and re-read it before I see the movie. So often they completely change the story from the book to the movie. "Under the Tuscan Sun" anybody? That movie in no way resembled the book and not for the better! And that will probably be the case here because the movie trailer seems to follow Julia Child's life as a parallel to the Julie story. In the book, the only Julia Child story line was about Julie making all the recipes in Julia's cookbook, as I recall. Regardless, I'll see the movie because I love Julia and cooking!

The trailer mentions 2 books. Looking it up on the internet the website for the movies says it's based on Julie Powell's book about cooking and Julia Child's book "My Life in France". By combining the 2 it should make for a good movie.

Julie & Julia

Then again you also have to think which one is the most recognized by the public. I've never heard of Julie. Base a movie on her and it would tank at the box office.

That explains it then. Guess I need to re-read "My Life in France". Has anyone else had Julia's voice in their head since this thread started?!? It makes me giggle.

Total non-sequiter here (well maybe not total). Is anyone out there a fan of MFK Fisher's? She is one of my food heroes and a favorite author. I mention her because she too (like Julia) was heavily influenced by France and she was a strong, opinionated woman. If you love food/travel literature, she is a must read. I have a salad recipe in my collection that was dictated by her to a person (not me) standing in my kitchen and holding my phone. Long story but if anyone wants to hear it let me know! I tell you, it was a thrill when it happened. It was probably 20 years ago - but I remember it well. We made and ate the salad and toasted MFK. What a memorable day!

Back
Top Bottom