Hate is a strong word.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will add yellow jacket hornets to Chief's list. Mowing the lawn one day, I ran over one of their holes in the lawn, and a bunch of them flew up my shorts legs and kept stinging and stinging. Weeks of pain!

What an image! I don't mean to laugh at your suffering, but just the way you described the event made me howl! Because something similar happened to me. :LOL:

I was poking through a pile of brush looking for kindling one crisp fall day. Big mistake, girlie. :ROFLMAO: I disturbed a wasps' nest, or is it hornet, I dunno, but they don't take kindly to being bothered. A big pack of them exited the pile of brush and went to work on me. I ran faster than I ever thought I could (I am middleaged) to the house, forgetting to even close the door behind me. Yes, they followed me into the house.

Final paragraph: I got 13 bites that I could see, but the swelling went down in a couple of days and I was all right. I did not suffer as bad as you apparently did; could be a different variety of wasp, or you are more susceptible, perhaps mildly allergic.

Yes I draw the line at fleas and mosquitoes, i.e. have no qualms in killing them.

However, we pass on the fear of spiders to our children and it is mostly irrational (unless you live somewhere that spiders are poisonous). They can be removed with the glass and card technique, i.e. placing a large glass over them then slipping a card underneath to form a trap. Then they can be taken outdoors and set free.

Also, if a fly is in the room, I find that by opening a window they will gravitate to the draught and fly out. No need for flysprays.

Some reptiles, some fish, shrews, platypus and some insects are venomous. Poison is generally associated with some plants and laboratories.;)

What an image! I don't mean to laugh at your suffering, but just the way you described the event made me howl! Because something similar happened to me. :LOL:

I was poking through a pile of brush looking for kindling one crisp fall day. Big mistake, girlie. :ROFLMAO: I disturbed a wasps' nest, or is it hornet, I dunno, but they don't take kindly to being bothered. A big pack of them exited the pile of brush and went to work on me. I ran faster than I ever thought I could (I am middleaged) to the house, forgetting to even close the door behind me. Yes, they followed me into the house.

Final paragraph: I got 13 bites that I could see, but the swelling went down in a couple of days and I was all right. I did not suffer as bad as you apparently did; could be a different variety of wasp, or you are more susceptible, perhaps mildly allergic.

Yellow Jackets, let me count the stings:

7 years of age, stepped on a yellow jacket nest by a stream, got stung all over my left leg and arm, multiple stings. Ran home, DM put baking soda slurry on stings. Was good a few hours later. Made me litteraly scream.

9 years old, stepped on a yellow jacket nest in a large ditch on the edge of some woods. Got stung same as previous experience, but on right side. Ran home for the same treatment. Again, pain was gone a few hours later.

Put on a jacket, found a bumble bee in the left sleeve. Got stung. Got treated.

Riding a bicycle, ran into a flying yellow jacket, went down my shirt, got stung on the chest. Lived with it till the pain was gone, a couple hours.

Riding motor cycle, got hit in the neck by a yellow jacket, got into my helmet. By the time I got the bike stopped, and before I could get the helmet off, it got mad and stung me three times behind the right ear. Lived with it til the pain went away.

Put on a seat belt and found a yellow jacket on the back of the belt. got stung on the belly.

Swimming in a pool, in Subic City, Phillipines, on base (was a U.S. sailor). Someone disturbed a nest of something that stung. Got stung on the right forearm while doing the Australian Crawl stroke.

Stuck my left arm into a ceiling at work while running telecom cable. A yellow jacket found my forearm, and yep, I yelped.

The last one, riding a motor cycle on the way home from work. Got stung on the right side of my right knee. Looked down and there was a bee caught where the pant leg gathered. Brushed it away and when home, complained to DW. Next day, same time, same place, same activity, glanced down at the gathering on my pant leg and saw another bee stuck in the material folds. Brushed it away before I got stung. It spooked me to the extent that I checked my pant leg every night when riding home, until the insect season was over, and it was time to put the bike away for winter.

And yet, I don't dislike yellow jackets and am not afraid of stinging insects unless they are on me. I've found that generally, if I leave them alone, they leave me alone. Every time I've gotten stung, I somehow put a nest, or individual members in distress. They've never just come looking for trouble. Besides, I once watched a single yellow jacket eat 4 houseflies, and a horsefly. And I detest houseflies, and hate horseflies. Wasps, hornets, and bees are hugely beneficial insects. I've had a few other stings as well, but I've cataloged enough of the episodes here. I still like bees, hornets, and wasps. I like spiders too. But as with stinging insects, don't let them get on me. Reflexes take over and their lives are extinguished.

Last edited:
:clap: Did you remember all your stings, or did you write this in a diary? Just curious. You appear to have a helluva memory!!! My dad kept bees, they were all over the farm, and of course stings are going to happen. My dad would quietly remove the sting and send us on our way. No to-do was made. I guess baking soda slurry would've been nice, though...

:clap: Did you remember all your stings, or did you write this in a diary? Just curious. You appear to have a helluva memory!!! My dad kept bees, they were all over the farm, and of course stings are going to happen. My dad would quietly remove the sting and send us on our way. No to-do was made. I guess baking soda slurry would've been nice, though...

Memory is a tricky thing. I remember every sting. They made an impression in my memory. I can remember clearly events from when I was 3 years old. But do you think that I can remember the three items that DW will ask me to pick up from the store? And poor memorization skills was a real challenge while I was immersed in university math courses while getting my B.S. EET degree.

Yet, I heard four of Mason Williams' "Them Poems", and they stuck in my head, word for word, the first time I heard them. DW isn't especially fond of them. They include - "Them Hog Liver Likers", "Them Sticker Gitters", "Them Duck Pluckers", and her least favorite of all - "Them Moose Goosers". Of course I taught them to my own children when they were young. Now, those same people, who thought they were funny back then, roll their eyes at me when I say them to my grandkids. And I'm not allowed to teach them - "Them Moose Goosers".

I'll just have to do that Secret Grandpa thing with them.:D

Oh, and another pest I really dislike is people who enjoy causing trouble for others. The only problem is that the law won't allow you to swat 'em, or spray them with Deet.:LOL:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Memory sure is funny. I have the same "shopping list problem". My first distinct memory is of sitting in the gravelled area of our yard and getting my bum bitten by ants, in a diaper. Some things just make an impression on the mind.

Red Ants

Brown Recluse Spiders and Hobos or Wolf because they look like Brown Recluses

Anything crawling on me...

We don't have poisonous spiders living here, so I wasn't worried. There was a spider in my kitchen sink and it didn't seem able to get out by itself. I let it crawl onto my hand and put it on the window sill. I'm a live and let live kinda woman.

Originally Posted by creative
Yes I draw the line at fleas and mosquitoes, i.e. have no qualms in killing them.

However, we pass on the fear of spiders to our children and it is mostly irrational (unless you live somewhere that spiders are poisonous). They can be removed with the glass and card technique, i.e. placing a large glass over them then slipping a card underneath to form a trap. Then they can be taken outdoors and set free.

Also, if a fly is in the room, I find that by opening a window they will gravitate to the draught and fly out. No need for flysprays.

Some reptiles, some fish, shrews, platypus and some insects are venomous. Poison is generally associated with some plants and laboratories.;)
Of course...I was discussing the harmless ones that we needlessly kill (and offering a solution), e.g. just because we are scared of a spider. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Of course...I was discussing the harmless ones that we needlessly kill (and offering a solution), e.g. just because we are scared of a spider. :rolleyes:

Faced with a native venomous snake, how would you handle it?

Invasive species should be destroyed on sight!

You have missed my point....I was addressing HARMLESS creatures. :rolleyes:

No, I got your "point" loud and clear. Instinct is what drives creature behavior. It is human stupidity that makes them "HARMFUL". I get all warm and fuzzy every time some moron gets bit trying to kill a venomous snake.:ROFLMAO:

I tried to explain to someone on another forum that his dog was not bitten by a copperhead, by describing what happens after a crotalid envenomation. He couldn't grasp that the venom begins the digestive process, causing necrotic tissue damage. His dog had some swelling and redness in the "bite" area and was "fit as a fiddle" the next morning. The guy had let the dog out at 10:00 PM to potty, heard a yelp and the dogs paw had some redness and swelling. He went outside, saw a copperhead and killed it with a shotgun. Even though he didn't witness the "bite", the copperhead was the culprit. You just can't fix stupid.;)

Originally Posted by creative You have missed my point....I was addressing HARMLESS creatures. :rolleyes:
:ROFLMAO:
No, I got your "point" loud and clear. Instinct is what drives creature behavior. It is human stupidity that makes them "HARMFUL". I get all warm and fuzzy every time some moron gets bit trying to kill a venomous snake.:ROFLMAO:

I tried to explain to someone on another forum that his dog was not bitten by a copperhead, by describing what happens after a crotalid envenomation. He couldn't grasp that the venom begins the digestive process, causing necrotic tissue damage. His dog had some swelling and redness in the "bite" area and was "fit as a fiddle" the next morning. The guy had let the dog out at 10:00 PM to potty, heard a yelp and the dogs paw had some redness and swelling. He went outside, saw a copperhead and killed it with a shotgun. Even though he didn't witness the "bite", the copperhead was the culprit. You just can't fix stupid.;)
Anyone can get bitten by a venomous snake...that's a totally different point and NOT what I was addressing. Of course action should be taken. That's so obvious that it hardly needs pointing out does it? :rolleyes: Well perhaps to you, since you think I have this same kind attitude to poisonous creatures...i.e. you say you got my point but clearly didn't! So, what you are laughing at is your own misunderstanding! Ah well, never mind....

However, stupid is killing a harmless creature just because of being scared...stupid, unnecessary and unkind.

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO:
Anyone can get bitten by a venomous snake...that's a totally different point and NOT what I was addressing. Of course action should be taken. That's so obvious that it hardly needs pointing out does it? :rolleyes: Well perhaps to you, since you think I have this same kind attitude to poisonous creatures...i.e. you say you got my point but clearly didn't! So, what you are laughing at is your own misunderstanding! Ah well, never mind....

However, stupid is killing a harmless creature just because of being scared...stupid, unnecessary and unkind.

What action should be taken?

What action should be taken?
Depends on the situation. I was on an Italian mountainside and suddenly confronted by a snake that reared its head in attacking position. I had nothing on me to use for protection so I turned to my natural instincts. (Some might have fled but I felt that might lead to a sudden attack).

I drew on my knowledge that dogs respond to the tone of voice, rather than the words....so I spoke slowly and softly to the snake. The attacking position is due to the snake feeling threatened. I tried to reassure the snake that I was not about to kill it....then, slowly, walked away!

Let me guess what your reply would be? Shoot it? That was not an option I had and the snake had every right to be there since the mountain was its home, i.e. it was me that was trespassing.

I drew on my knowledge that dogs respond to the tone of voice, rather than the words....so I spoke slowly and softly to the snake. The attacking position is due to the snake feeling threatened. I tried to reassure the snake that I was not about to kill it....then, slowly, walked away!

Dogs have evolved with people over thousands of years to respond to our voices and body language. Don't expect other animals to behave the same way. And btw, dogs do learn words.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by creative
Dogs have evolved with people over thousands of years to respond to our voices and body language. Don't expect other animals to behave the same way. And btw, dogs do learn words.
Yes of course dogs learn words...but, as I said, they respond more to tone than the words. Try saying "good doggie" in a shouting, scolding voice and you will see! I am spiritually focused and used my intuition regarding tone of voice. Voices emanate a resonance i.e. a vibration - it is universally so.
Also, my tactic worked!
icon_cheers.png

Back
Top Bottom