Have you done your taxes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I did our taxes yesterday. This is the first time I have ever gotten them done more than a few days ahead of time. I have to say that I feel so relieved to have that out of the way. Not to mention we are getting a decent chunk back this year :)

Luckily for me Paul does the taxes.
He has started but not finished.
We never ever ever get any back....

I use Turbotax. I've bought the software but haven't used it yet. Probably get it done in the next month or so...

We've gone through the primilary checklist from our CPA, now we just need to set up an actual meeting to finalize it, and then it's done. We've just had too much going on this year, usually we're done by now. Of course, if we owe money, we make sure not to mail it until right before the deadline, but if we're getting a refund, that sucker gets e-filed ASAP!

John

No, we wait until the last minute. Plus, we haven't gotten on of dh's 1099's yet. We have to pay in every year, about $2,000 and up. That is what happen's when you do contract labor. I HATE APRIL 15TH !!!!

texasgirl said:
No, we wait until the last minute. Plus, we haven't gotten on of dh's 1099's yet. We have to pay in every year, about $2,000 and up. That is what happen's when you do contract labor. I HATE APRIL 15TH !!!!

So do I!
:(:(:(

I use www.taxact.com. Been using it for the last three years and no complaints from me. Great features and info on the different categories and they prompt you with everything so you don't miss a thing. Between state and federal I'm getting back a sizable piece this year.

Ours are almost done. HH still has to look into any potential deductions for helping my parents out during Katrina last year - there may be mileage, and food and lodging expenses we can deduct.

Because I made so little money last year, for once we are getting money back (even w/o any Katrina stuff) from the feds.

Ours are done, but I ain't happy. We owe both, fed & state. Whoops. Reason why is I'm not in school anymore so I can't take that write off any more. Forgot to adjust the withholdings to compensate. D'oh!

TaxAct is good software, and free software, to do federal takes. I've used it 3 or 4 years running now.

State I've done long hand, as I won't pay someone else, or for the software. That will likely change this next go round with the opening of my business.

Last edited:
BigDog said:
Ours our done, but I ain't happy. We owe both, fed & state. Whoops. Reason why is I'm not in school anymore so I can't take that write off any more. Forgot to adjust the withholdings to compensate. D'oh!

TaxAct is good software, and free software, to do federal takes. I've used it 3 or 4 years running now.

State I've done long hand, as I won't pay someone else, or for the software. That will likely change this next go round with the opening of my business.

I think TaxAct is only free if you're a return user. I could be wrong though. I use the upgrade every year so I pay a few buck regardless.

ironchef said:
I think TaxAct is only free if you're a return user. I could be wrong though. I use the upgrade every year so I pay a few buck regardless.

I never paid from the get go. I'm too cheap. My cheapness is also why we owe. I hate the thought of giving the government an interest free loan. They certainly don't retro that courtesy back! Yeah, a large lump sum is nice to get on rare occassions, but think, the money you are getting back could have helped pay more bills, or could have been earning YOU interest with some sort of investment. Instead, the government used it until the last possible second they had to pay it back, and only paid back principle. Imagine if all we had to do was to pay back principle on a loan from the government! They'd go nuts!

I'd rather owe then get back, though I don't want to owe too much to cause penalties. I want to be in control of my money, or delegate people of my choosing to do so. The feds ain't high on my list of people to delegate too!

BigDog said:
I never paid from the get go. I'm too cheap. My cheapness is also why we owe. I hate the thought of giving the government an interest free loan. They certainly don't retro that courtesy back! Yeah, a large lump sum is nice to get on rare occassions, but think, the money you are getting back could have helped pay more bills, or could have been earning YOU interest with some sort of investment. Instead, the government used it until the last possible second they had to pay it back, and only paid back principle. Imagine if all we had to do was to pay back principle on a loan from the government! They'd go nuts!

I'd rather owe then get back, though I don't want to owe too much to cause penalties. I want to be in control of my money, or delegate people of my choosing to do so. The feds ain't high on my list of people to delegate too!

I put a decent portion of my paychecks into my 401, mutual funds, etc. I'm lucky in the sense that at least 5 days a week, I don't have to spend any money on meals because I can eat at work. When most people look at their budget or their spending, thousands of dollars each year are spent on food during the work days for lunches. For me, that's money that I can invest.

Done and spent:LOL: I suppose if your expecting a return you file early, otherwise, you wait til the last minute.

We use TurboTax, ours are complete, filed and the return is in the bank. The electronic filing is the only way to go.

Later

Back
Top Bottom