Heinz vs. French's ketchup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd_1138

Sous Chef
We always buy Heinz, but I think I will buy French's from now on. It has sugar in it and not high fructose corn syrup like Heinz.

I am not a huge ketchup eater. French's mustard is my fave condiment, and Hellman's mayo is my 2nd fave. Sometimes I make fresh cut fries and squirt some ketchup on the side to dip them in. Or a ketchup/mayo mix.

Wife puts ketchup on everything like a little kid would do.

Heinz makes with and without sugar or fructose corn syrup. I buy the without. A bonus for diabetics. It is called Simply Heinz. :angel:

Last edited:
Heinz makes with and without sugar or fructose corn syrup. I buy the without. A bonus for diabetics. It is called Simply Heinz. :angel:

Simply Heinz contains 4 grams of sugar per tablespoon, the same as French's and most other brands of ketchup. I use Heinz Reduced Sugar which contains 1 gram of sugar per tablespoon, it also contains sucralose and costs about twice as much. I guess it's a case of pick your poison! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup 13oz | Heinz Ketchup

Last edited:
To us, ketchup is ketchup is ketchup and there's not much difference, unless we go to the trouble of making some from scratch for something special. We don't really use much of it at all. I'd say our main use is putting some in meatloaf, as well as making a glaze with worchestshire sauce for the top of meatloaf. A bottle of ketchup lasts a LONG time here.

I buy regular Heinz. I use ketchup on eggs, burgers, meatloaf, fries. HFCS doesn't bother me either, it's just sugar. I would be interested in doing a comparison taste test between Heinz and French's though. Many like Hunt's better, I've never cared for it.

Will have to try the Simply Heinz.

Last edited:
We're not big ketchup users. I buy a smaller bottle and have to keep checking the expiration date to be sure it's still OK. At that consumption level, we stick with the taste we like.

Now that the kids are mostly out of the house, I use little ketchup. I've even run out and not noticed I didn't have any! I buy Heinz. I agree with Andy in that we use it so seldom that the sugar content is negligible for us. HFCS can make the blood sugar spike faster than regular sugar so I tend try to limit it in foods but you can't get away from it totally it appears if you buy any mass produced food products.

I haven't seen French's ketchup yet, but I have tried Heinz screaming yellow mustard.

I have a very large jar of their yellow mustard in my fridge. I very seldom use mustard. And when I do it is usually Guilden's dark brown. The yellow was given to me after the last party we had down in the Community Room by Management. Pirate uses it. They also gave me a large jar of Simply Heinz Ketchup. Now that I will use. :angel:

I'm even less of a mustard fan that I am a ketchup fan. I used to buy Gulden's but had repeated issues with the squirt bottle so I switched to French's for both yellow and brown.

Mayonnaise, on the other hand, is very important! Hellmann's - nothing else will do.

Simply Heinz contains 4 grams of sugar per tablespoon, the same as French's and most other brands of ketchup. I use Heinz Reduced Sugar which contains 1 gram of sugar per tablespoon, it also contains sucralose and costs about twice as much. I guess it's a case of pick your poison! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup 13oz | Heinz Ketchup

Put less ingredients in and jack the price up big time.... Brilliant!!

I'm the same as you rare ketchup users. I rarely use it except for meatloaf. Meatloaf absolutely requires it. What I have in the fridge ATM is Hunt's. It's fine.

I'm even less of a mustard fan that I am a ketchup fan. I used to buy Gulden's but had repeated issues with the squirt bottle so I switched to French's for both yellow and brown.

Mayonnaise, on the other hand, is very important! Hellmann's - nothing else will do.

I grew up on Caines Mayo and still use it to this day. (A New England brand) It cost less than Hellman's and with a coupon or two, I really save money. If I can't find a coupon in the flyers or in Coupons.com I go directly to the site and print them out there. I only buy it when it is on sale. And the coupon makes a huge savings in the end. :angel:

I prefer Simply Heinz ketchup, French's yellow mustard, Gulden's spicy brown mustard and Olive Oil Miracle Whip salad dressing. Miracle whip has sweetness, spices, and a personality, while mayonnaise just has grease.

I prefer Simply Heinz ketchup, French's yellow mustard, Gulden's spicy brown mustard and Olive Oil Miracle Whip salad dressing. Miracle whip has sweetness, spices, and a personality, while mayonnaise just has grease.

I have never had the Olive Oil Miracle Whip. Right now I have three large jars of Cains I have to use up before I buy another one. :angel:

Iam a mustard fan. Guldens was always my go to mustard until I found Woeber's Reserve. I have no use for French's whatsoever.

I have never had the privilege of tasting Caine's Mayo. I wish I could. I am picky when it comes to mayo. Unless I stumble upon something better I'll stick with Hellman's.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom