Help finding info/history on antique locket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I know this is far fetched, but I thought I'd ask anyway...
Anyone out there have an idea as to where I can find information on a piece of jewelry from my Great great grandmother? Members of my family are trying to remember the history, or any significance of it, but aren't having much luck, as the woman it belonged to originally died of old age in the 1940s. Anyhow, if anyone knows of a site that is familiar with antique gold lockets and such, can you pass the info on? Thanks!

Try taking it to your local university or museum, they may be able to point you in the right direction. Do you have a picture of it? :) I'd love to see!

If there isn't an appraiser near you, perhaps you can photograph the locket and email the photo to an appraiser.

:) I also would like to see a photo. Is it gold or silver dos it have any stamps or symbols on it to perhaps identify it's maker? They would usually be quite small.

I did a search for online jewelry appraisal and it brought up a lot of sites. Many of them looked worthwhile.

:)Barbara

Here's her photo. Years ago, my Grandma said she thought it looked like it should be Joan of Arc, since it's a woman with a helmet. But who knows?

img_691625_0_758bc6e121468b74e3917f4ce9a767cb.jpg

ummmm...that's a lovely knotty pine kitchen you posted a link for...............

as for the markings, I looked through a loupe and found a hand inscribed " 3 5 " on the inside of both pieces. You can't see it without major magnification, though.

You may be right, the photo's of other lockets/pendants are similar in the jut of her chin, the flow of her helmet at the back (is that horse hair or something? who knows), and the shape of the bottom back of the helmet..

img_691652_0_1f69551e6952901de5462e8c556e7a2b.jpg

Wow, Saphellae, I think you found her brother from that first link's photo! I haven't found anything so similar yet.

Stacy - could be Athena. She's a warrior kinda gal, isn't she?

You guys are great!

I am learning so much!

I'd totally love to go to school for this. lol

My only question is that if it matches up with a greek goddess, why does the helmet have a french looking visor?

It can't be Helen of Troy, she wasn't a fighter.

Anyways I think it is Athena.

Saphellae, I think you're right on. Thats what I was going to suggest too. I think it is definitely greek. I'm not sure the locket itself would be greek but certainly the lady on it is greek styling. Jkath, maybe a quick research into whether or not Goddesses were a popular locket item in that era?

Alix, I think they were. One of the ones I found that was very close to Jkaths picture is from the 1880's, which is probably around the time his great great grandmother got hers.

Back
Top Bottom