Help for a blind friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
One thing I love about this web site is how much help I get when I have difficulties unrelated to food. Here's one for you. I have a blind friend I read to a couple of times a week. She recently went from being legally blind to being totally blind. One problem is that modern, cordless phones are almost impossible for her to use. She has a phone in her office that she CAN use -- a very large keyboard that she has memorized, a cord on the handset so if she drops it she can retrieve it. I know my parents have a similar one and I know someone still makes them. I've been surfing the 'net (as have several friends) but haven't been able to find a source. If anyone knows how to find such a thing, it would be appreciated.

Claire, if it is the phone with the extra-large buttons you are looking for, I'd say check out eBay. Might be a bit of a needle-in-the-haystack search, though.

However, in your area I would think there might be some blind-assistance organization(s) that could help. Then, of course, there's always searching the Internet for such an organization.

Several years ago, I bought a desktop phone for use in my home office at Big Lots for $9.99! It has speaker phone and a data protection circuit for a modem…..and oversized buttons. I don’t use it anymore, and it now resides in the garage on a shelf with other stuff I refuse to throw away! Although……when the power goes out and the cordless phones are rendered useless, this little guy still works like a champ….so I have a valid reason to be pack-rat in this case!! :LOL:

Here is a pic of it:

Phone.jpg

You can get a similar phone from Wal-Mart. Check Wal-Mart and Big Lots and you should be able to find what you’re looking for.

Back
Top Bottom