Help - my dog is licking his feet!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Help! I have only one dog at present, and he is forever licking his paws. When I break down and go to the vet he gives steroid injection that calms the dog down for while but two weeks later, he is at is again. Not getting any peace. I try to ignore him and figure eventually he will q uit has been going on for more than 5 years I know. I have heard and read every reason why he does this. Grass, food, breed, e tc.

I am really at a loss but steroids are not good for anyone on regular routine. One of the vets t ook some kind of tests for him and found out his liver has been affect ed and she suspect ed steroids. She also recommended SamE. This is supposedly for humans and haven't given it a try which I am going to do. He is also getting cataracts. Seems their lives are so short when they have physical problems. Losing a dog due to some kind of disease or otherwise makes one so depressed.

Right now he is at it again licking his paws so they swell up and can hardly walk on them. I have tried bathing his paws when he comes in from outside but no help. The food theory was a disaster. didn't want to eat it. Like a child you want to tell him it is supposed to be good for them but if they won't eat it, what can you do?

Thanks for underst anding and hope your pets all stay healthy. This one is lonely since his last friend was put to sleep. Doesn't bark much anymore.

Feet licking (at least in dogs bigleg) is usually caused by allergies. The most common source of allergies in dogs is their food (corn, wheat, soy), although I saw an allergy report the other day for a Boston Terrier that I don't know what is wasn't allergic to. Also, once a habit starts it can be hard to break. And yes, boredom can also cause unwanted behavior.
If you don't want to stick with a food switch because the dog wins out and you switch him back, much like people preferring say... fried chicken wings dripping in butter and hot sauce to a plain grilled chicken breast, then spray something on his feet like bitter apple or a spray designed to keep them from chewing. Many are safe to be sprayed right on the pet. You might also want to give him benedryl, the plain, pink, 25mg, for allergies only kind. Veterinarians regularly prescribe benedryl for allergies. Then I will talk the owner into switching foods and the dog's coat comes back, its luster, and no more benedryl is needed. I had one 60 lb dog getting 8 benedryl a day at their vet's sugesstion! You should see him now, his owner is amazed.

Our dog would lick his paws and forearms until they bled. After many vet trips and all types of medication, I got him a rescue dog. He never licked again.

Skeeter was just very lonely and bored to tears.

I have a 12 yr. old toy poodle and there are days he licks his paws alot, other days no. He is going blind too, but can play like a puppy at times. Thats my Joey !

ITK... it is more than likely allergy related as pacanis stated. I have an article about dog food that I can send you that you may find helpful. My dog Boots has this same problem and I have found that switching his diet has helped. Also a bite collar does the trick as well!!!

Get that dog an Elizabethan collar right away. He shouldn't lick until his paws swell like that.

My beagle has allegies and he scratches at his eye all the time. When he's like that -- on goes the collar.

I agree that it's probably allergies. Switch his food. Dogs will eventually eat when they are hungry even if they don't like the food. Or, if there is chicken in the food add a bit of diluted chicken broth to it for him.

Our dog loves to romp and play basketball on the blacktop at the hoops. We have to keep a close eye on him because the surface tears up the pads on his paws. He will play soccer in the grass but he always takes the ball to the courts.

When we walk them, we try to find areas where there are vacant lots and alleys so they are not always on the sidewalk or the street. We have two dogs.

Benedryl

This dog is small about 15 lbs. You think I could try giving him more than 1 per day?

What is Elizabethtown collar? Do I need the vet to prescribe it or can I buy at pet store?

I have guilt feelings about walking the dog all the time year round maybe I ruined his paws? Some people buy the dog some kind of protection. I never knew about all these things when we had dogs when I was young. Dogs have really become more important these days and am I thankful. Just wish I could help mine. I don't take lot of medicine as there are always side effects hence I don't give the dog too much.

I have tried bitter apple, different foods, but when the paws get so swollen makes me feel like I don't care about him. Geez, I am so thankful you all love your animals. Who else would love you the way you are? Maybe your mom. But your dog/cat would never do anything you wouldn't approve of unless they couldn't help it.

Boredom may be problem but he can't walk anyplace anymore cause he can't see where he is going too well. At night got to turn the lights on.

ITK an E-collar is one of those plastic "lampshades" that prevent a dog from licking or chewing on himself.

The vet can sell one to you but I have seen them for cheaper in pet stores like Petco and Petsmart. They come in a number of sizes. It will prevent him from hurting himself.

Have you tried Benedryl? Our vet said to give the beagle a half a human Benedryl and it does seem to work @ least temporarily. You might want to ask your vet or look into that.

People have made some good suggestions. If all of those fail, you might try half baked 's idea and get another dog since your dog seems very sad from losing your other dog.

Oh

Now I know what you mean by the E-collar. They sure are good but with this constant licking do you think it will only be something temporarily. I don't like it that the vet gives him steroids. I wouldn't like to have to take them myself.

Getting another dog may be the solution. Right now I am just depressed over having to lose one dog and replacing her seems really hard. It is really healthy idea to find another dog to fill the void but why must I have such a sense of loyalty to dog that is gone? At the same time I gave her injections is really hard not to remember that is over with. I am so very thankful she seemed to accept her fate. Just laid down on the table and seemed to tell us she wanted to just give up. I am thankful she never required tubes or means to prolong her life. I want someone to help me to go too. Not unnecessary means to prolong agony. she was one smart dog.

ITK, I'm sorry. Now I remember that you recently lost your dog. :(

Our Skeeter didn't chew on his feet and lick his forearms until I went back to work. He was just beside himself with loneliness.

Last edited:
ITK.... getting another companion really helps to move on from the pain of losing your other pup. Trust me, it is such an uplifting experience and you will always have good memories of your dog while you develop new ones with your new family!!!

In the Kitchen said:
Getting another dog may be the solution. Right now I am just depressed over having to lose one dog and replacing her seems really hard.

ITK, you would not be "replacing" your dear departed doggie. You would be adding another dog to love and enhancing the life of the dog who is left. I would suspect he's grieving the loss of his friend. Giving you both another friend to love would be some of the best medicine possible.

:) I agrre with Katie E not only what she said but it's a great opportunity to save another puppy who really needs a home.Does not mean your replacing your doggie he cant be replaced you just want to give your other dog some company and you have a space for another dog looking for a loving home.

Thanks

You people are the best. Thanks so much for assuring me that I will resolve this problem. (Remind me of being faithful like my dogs) You all associate with the void I am experiencing today.

Now how do I go to adopt a dog and pick only one? The last time I did this I got the two dogs that are gone. They were sisters and I am sure they are both together again. Just remembering how we all would get ready to go for our daily walk was the highlight of my day. Keeping up with them was always a challenge. I look forward to having those days return and seeing this little one return to somewhat normal routine.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I do appreicate your understanding and time.

Guess I'll be asking about the new ones when i get them. Kind of like a security I can count on.

It's hard to pick only one! Only you know your dogs personality and which one he would be compatibable with as well as yourself. For instance, my dog (black lab) dislikes terriers but loves pugs, who knows why.

I didnt realize that you lost your dog recently, which is very hard indeed. But as others have said and I agree, your not replacing your dog, your dog will forever be in your heart. You are gaining a new friend for yourself and your dog.

Back
Top Bottom