Helpful hint with coffee filters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
I like to keep a stack of cheap coffee filters on the kitchen counter. They are so handy for small spills, covering something small in the microwave, using one for cutting up a small piece of fruit on. It sure saves on the paper towels. Do you have any other uses for the filters?

Besides making coffee ;), I use coffee filters to make a Bouquet Garni and to brew cups of herbal tea. I also use them to drain small batches of fried food on.

I have used them for all of th above uses. The only thing I have not seen mention, they are great for removing water marks off wood. The paper is so fine as an abrasive that paired with a little cigar ash, works wonders on wood.

Also good for juicing citrus, just place the cut fruit in filter, and squeeze.

I have use them when I have run out of stablizer paper in my embroidery
I also have starting using them on a regular bases. I buy the commerical size and fits my hoops great and also cheaper the a roll of the reg embrodery paper.

they are also great to use when you want to line a dish or a gift box when place candy or cookies or whatever for a giveaway .

I use them them for when ironing on a item the has a decal on it so it doesn't come off onto your iron.

so many uses

Also good in the bottom of a plant to keep the soil from leeching out and let the water drain.

If you want to do a neat art activity with the younger set take a regular coffee filter (the ones with the circle bottom and not the cone shaped ones, fold about 3 times and dip each of the corners into different colors of food coloring mixed with water. A muffin pan works great for this whereby you put a different color in each of the molds. Dipping only takes a second. Don't saturate them and do leave a bit of white in the center if you can. Then carefully open them up and place on newspapers to dry. When dry tape them to a window---they're beautiful "stained-glass" pieces and the kids are pretty awed by them. Even the 10 year olds at our small international school had a blast with this easy activity.

Back
Top Bottom