Here, Kitty, Kitty...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yowza! :shock:
Very cool, nature and all, but holy crapola. Not something you want to see on the other side of a storm door.

Thanks for posting these. Very cool pics.

Beautiful cat, but yea keep it away from the kids. And Lord knows they would think it was adorable and try and pet it...

Holy Christmas, Batman! Not the kind of creature you want to encounter when you are dragging the trash out. You have to appreciate its beauty and danger all at once.

We have wildcats in our neighborhood occasionally. One of our neighbors up the street shot one a while ago. Noticed that the neighborhood kittens started disappearing in numbers. Once the cat was killed, the kitten population stabilized.

Thanks for posting.

We have wildcats in our neighborhood occasionally. One of our neighbors up the street shot one a while ago. Noticed that the neighborhood kittens started disappearing in numbers. Once the cat was killed, the kitten population stabilized.

Kim says if you're talking about wildcats, you're probably talking about cougars, aka mountain lions. We have them in the Shawnee National Forest (the forest turned 40 loose several years ago, to help control the deer), and there was a pair that moved into the spoils of the strip mine where DH worked.
The guys always went deer hunting out there, and about 3 years ago, they noticed that the deer were less plentiful. Guys had been spottng what they thought was a cougar for several months, and then one of the guys, who was out hunting by himself, walked into a clearing where they had field dressed (gutted) a deer the day before. He noticed that the remains had been covered with leaves.
He told Kim he suddenly got a funny feeling, like he was being watched, and then spotted the eyes, looking at him through the brush. He said the hair stood up on the back of his neck, as he realized that he was no longer at the top of the food chain.

We (and probably you, too, Katie) also have bobcats in this area. They are much smaller, and have tufted ears. They're not a danger to humans, although they might go after your toy poodle.

Last edited:
Yikes! What a beautiful cat, but definitely too close for comfort. It brought back memories of some very vivid dreams I have had over the last 30 or so years. Every few years I have an extremely vivid dream that there is a wild lion, tiger, bear, etc. in our back yard. Those dreams always scare me to death at the time because they are so real.

:ohmy:Barbara

Last week, the bowl of cats biscuits that I leave out for the strays went walkabouts to my neighbours place about 3:30am. While I entertained a fox being the culprit, I am very pleased to not have to think about one a cougar getting takeaway!! The cats all freaked out at whatever it was; hate to think their reaction to a REALLY big cat!! LOL

Bilby, A cougar would have eaten your cats, not the biscuits. That would only be if he was very hungry, though. They prefer deer.

Those photos are pretty amazing. I guess if you're going to live in the middle of nowhere, make sure doors and windows are always closed ;)

I have this awesome picture of my dad when he live in CA. a freind down there had a mountain lion as a pet and it shows my dad and the lion with its paws on his shoulders. ill have to scan it for you guys.

It's looking that way, Middie. But I understand the desire. I'm sure I'd have the desire to pet it or scratch it under the chin but I'm also sure there's no way I'd try it.

:) That is the reason our cats get locked in the house in the afternoon they have a cat door to use in the day. Not only do we have to worry about mountain lions but badgers, coyotes, fox, eagles, owls, bobcats, raccoons ,bears and snakes the rattle snake is capable of eating kittens. Our neighbors had two dogs snatched out of their pen by a mountain lion. Mountain lions are not beyond snatching up small children as well. You can tell a Mountain Lion kill as they cover the deer with leaves and grass. DH hunts them with out dogs by coming across a kill as they come back a couple of days to eat it.

Go ahead and give it a whirl middie. They are doing wonders with prosthetic arms these days! I do know what you mean though. I wouldn't try it, but I would wish I could!

:)Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom