HEY!!!!! Make this Better!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-DEADLY SUSHI-

Washing Up
*turning on chaser lights* *USING GAME SHOW HOST VOICE*

After making a dish do you ever wonder... "How could this be any better"? :shock:
Well we will post a BASIC list of ingredients, I ask all of you to help out and tell us how to "Make this Better"!
Remember.... it has to include just the basics. I really feel that it will help at LEAST myself. Inspire my cooking and give me ideas. Fill in with spices, other ingredients and cooking technique.
1.gif

Sorry Sushi, I am not sure I know the rules.

If I can use other ingredients, those led me to black beans and rice (moros y cristianos) served with Cuban picadillo (using the garlic) topped with a fried egg.

Rats, I am sorry we already have a menu for today.:(

Huevos rancheros the right way: refry the black beans (I've got a post on that elsewhere) with a little "breakfast sausage patty" crumbled into it for a meaty, rich flavor. Scramble two eggs sunnyside up. In a sauce pan sautee the garlic, some finely diced onion, a couple of diced and mashed tomatos and maybe one jalapeno. Heat up about 4 corn tortillas.

Serving: "In the left corner we have delicious black beans with a little crumbled white cheese on top and several tortilla chips stuck into it... in the right corner we have piled the 4 tortillas, put the two eggs on top and then topped that with the ranchero sauce... get ready to rumble!!!". Basically what will happen is that the egg yolk and ranchero sauce will soak up into the tortillas like maple on pancakes giving you a hearty truck stop breakfast.

Option the second:

Personally I would go for some "red rice" which mixes rice, egg and some cayenne based sauce such as crystal, texas pete or franks red hot. Then I put some garlic in the oven to get it all soft and smokey and mash that into my rice. Lastly a big 13 oz can of goya black beans with all liquid included... unless I fry it a little on the side first with some sausage to give it extra flavor.

Last edited:
Sushi, you turned me on. The idea of being given ingredients and asked to make a dish is fun. Thanks.

I might make crepes with very finely diced red and green peppers (number one, the eggs).

In a bit of butter would slightly saute the garlic (item number two) and add a strained can of black beans (number three) with a bit of the liquid.

When warm, would mash the beans until smooth and add finely diced onion (I want them a bit crispy).

Would then make a 'burrito' with the beans and crepes.

Cut them at an angle in the middle, place on a plate, and top one half with a cheese sauce and the other with a tomato based sauce.

Garnish with a bit of parsley and it sounds OK to me.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Black beans and eggs with garlic. Can you "Make this Better"?? :chef:

Add some Ancho chili powder and some red pepper flakes.

Sounds lovely, ironchef. Glad to see you back among us more often.

But I am still waiting for that pancetta with risotto recipe you promised to post some months back.

Goodweed of the North said:
Swap out the breakfast sausage with Chorizo and I'll take Lugaru's idea.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

An all meat Chorizo or an all vegetable Chorizo??

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chef:

Those are really good ideas....... which I will use on Monday morning actually!! :mrgreen:

Anyother ideas for the beans and eggs?

Does anyone else have ideas for another round? Remember you can only choose 3 ingredients to start another round. :chef:

Last edited:
ooooh oooooh! Can I play?
(don't like scallops, so I can't help ya there....)

but how about this:

Fettucine, fresh artichoke, portabellos

(trying to imitate sushi's game-show voice, "Make That Better!"

perfect! Then we'll dice/saute the portabellos and sprinkle on top, and then take the freshly cooked artichoke heart, douse it in butter and that will be on top.

(only mine will be sans seafood, okay?)

Back
Top Bottom