Holiday shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
There are some christmas shows I've been watching loyally since I was a kid. Never a year went by that we didn't watch A Charlie Brown Christmas on CBS with all those Dolly Madison commercials.

How The Grinch Stole Christmas is my all time favourite christmas show. Charlie Brown and It's a Wonderful Life tie for second. A Christmas Story with Darren McGavin is a very very close third. It just wouldn't be christmas without those shows. I happen to love Babes in Toyland, too, but consider that more of a thanksgiving show, than christmas.

I enjoy seeing the ballet version of the nutcracker suite too. What lovely music.

How about A Christmas Without A Santa Claus with heat and snow miser? What great songs those two sing!

Do any of you remember the movie in the theatre called The Christmas That Almost Wasn't? I never see that in reruns, I wonder why.

And the Burgermeister Meisterburger! Santa Claus is Coming to Town! Tanta Kringle and all the little kringles....

I think if I could just see one Dolly Madison commercial for Zingers....:santa:

What about you?

Two that really stick out in my mind that I watch every year are Miracle on 34th St, which I just saw the other day (the old one, with Natalie Wood), and also It's a Wonderful Life which I havent seen yet this year.

I'm 49 and haven't had kids living in my home for years, but I still watch all of the old Christmas shows and movies! James and I both are big kids and love them. A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph, Frosty, Nestor the Long-Earred Donkey, all of them! Every now and then (any time of the year) I break out in a rousing rendition of "I'm Mr. White Christmas, I'm Mr. Snow. I'm Mr. Icicle. I'm Mr. ten below..." I love all the classic Christmas movies (never could get into A Christmas Story, but I love all the others). One that hasn't been mentioned that I love is All I Want for Christmas (with Thora Birch). I haven't seen the latest Tim Allen Santa Clause movie yet but we will buy it when we can.

:) Barbara
22.gif
24.gif
19.gif
2.gif

My "must see" Christmas movies are The Grinch and The Muppet's Christmas Carol. I have them on DVD. I'd like to get CB on DVD, as whenever it is on TV I'm not able to watch, and forget to set the timer.

amber said:
Two that really stick out in my mind that I watch every year are Miracle on 34th St, which I just saw the other day (the old one, with Natalie Wood), and also It's a Wonderful Life which I havent seen yet this year.

If it's not the Natalie Wood version I'm not interested in it! I love the monkey impersonation lesson.

Alix said:
White Christmas.

You know...I've never seen that! I have a Bing Crosby christmas albumn, love his version of the song...but never saw the movie.

Perhaps I'll be able to catch it this year.

Barbara L said:
I'm 49 and haven't had kids living in my home for years, but I still watch all of the old Christmas shows and movies! James and I both are big kids and love them. A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph, Frosty, Nestor the Long-Earred Donkey, all of them! Every now and then (any time of the year) I break out in a rousing rendition of "I'm Mr. White Christmas, I'm Mr. Snow. I'm Mr. Icicle. I'm Mr. ten below..." I love all the classic Christmas movies (never could get into A Christmas Story, but I love all the others). One that hasn't been mentioned that I love is All I Want for Christmas (with Thora Birch). I haven't seen the latest Tim Allen Santa Clause movie yet but we will buy it when we can.

22.gif
24.gif
19.gif
2.gif

I love Thora Birch, but don't know the movie you mentioned. What's the story line?

I love when heat and snow miser end the stanza with "i'm too much!"

BigDog said:
My "must see" Christmas movies are The Grinch and The Muppet's Christmas Carol. I have them on DVD. I'd like to get CB on DVD, as whenever it is on TV I'm not able to watch, and forget to set the timer.

When my son was 2 I taped the Muppet Christmas Carol for vcr. He's 21 now and we still watch it several times a christmas season. It's a sloppy tape because it has some commercial breaks and some cut out, but he and my daughter absolutely will not part with it for a neater version. Just last night he walked in on my watching Santa Claus is Coming To Town and said it was time to put in the 'christmas tape' that has all the christmas shows, including the Muppet Christmas.
"I've been chasing a truck all day, and boy am I exhausted"

VeraBlue said:
Do any of you remember the movie in the theatre called The Christmas That Almost Wasn't? I never see that in reruns, I wonder why.

Isn't that the one with the mouse who sent the angry letter to Santa, singed "All of Us"?

I saw that one last year for the first time in I don't know how long... Think it was on ABC Family or something. Whatever channel that did the Christmas special marathon.

(They even showed "Rudolph's Very Special New Year" :huh: )

John

It's not Christmas at our house without National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. My husband and sister-in-law recites lines from it from Thanksgiving till Christmas! And I think of it everytime we're trying to wash the sap off our hands from putting up our tree.

VeraBlue said:
I love Thora Birch, but don't know the movie you mentioned. What's the story line?

I love when heat and snow miser end the stanza with "i'm too much!"
She was really young in this (I think around 10). It is about a little girl and her brother (a couple years older than her) who are upset that their parents are divorcing. They come up with a plot to try to get them back together. It is cute, funny, and heartwarming. All I Want for Christmas (1991)

Every year I too watch

Charlie Brown
Rudolph
Frosty
The Grinch
A Christmas Story

Doesn't matter if my son's home to watch them or not lol.

We have to watch Rudolf, Charlie Brown and The Grinch every year. I also love Ralphie in the Christmas Story. White Christmas is good but Holiday Inn (where the song comes from) is better I think. My mother loves Miracle with Natalie Wood. It's always fun to see a version or two or Scrooge becoming a better person. Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase is pretty funny too.

Charlie Brown Christmas is by far my favorite!

Love the Grinch
& we LOVE Christmas Vacation - I finally had to buy it since we watch it all throughout the year.
dh loves Christmas Story- and now he and the kids shoot the lines back and forth : "you'll shoot yer eye out!" "Drink more ovaltine" and "Fra-gee-lay!"

VeraBlue said:
You know...I've never seen that! I have a Bing Crosby christmas albumn, love his version of the song...but never saw the movie.

Perhaps I'll be able to catch it this year.

I dont think I've seen this movie yet either, maybee snippets here and there over the holiday but never actually watched it, though I love his white christmas song, so classic!

ronjohn55 said:
Isn't that the one with the mouse who sent the angry letter to Santa, singed "All of Us"?

I saw that one last year for the first time in I don't know how long... Think it was on ABC Family or something. Whatever channel that did the Christmas special marathon.

(They even showed "Rudolph's Very Special New Year" :huh: )

John

No, this wasn't animated. I was very young, and I recall the commercials..showed an angry man ripping down what could have been a banner across a street or on a building. He threw it to the ground and stomped on it, I recall.

Family channel is having a marathon today of all the christmas shows. Lou and I got buzzed on whiskey last night and watched Rudolph...singing along and doing dialogue. It was hilarious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom