Home Remedies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A couple drops of molasses 2-3 times a day on a canker sore helps it to heal quickly. First drop really burns but after that it doesn't hurt at all. I had one that lasted almost a month, prescription didn't help, 2 days of molasses and it was gone. Works every time.

When you have the stomach flu it helps to drink jello while it is warm. It coats your stomach to help relieve the nausea and gives you a little energy from the sugar. Plus when you are sick it feels good to drink something warm.

Wow, Aunt Bea!

It sounds like a nightly tea of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger in a Peppermint tea wound be a great daily nightcap would be perfect for me. I'll try that tonight, I've got all the ingredients on hand. Thanks for the idea! XOX

I made this tea for my bedtime cordial, and the only thing it needed was a tablespoon of honey which is also a great antibiotic. YUM!

Nighty night. Mmmmm - ZzZzzzz.

I'm about to go steep some chamomile tea bags for my night time brew before bed. My left ear is feeling stuffy so I will let the tea bags chill a bit and put over my ear to help it drain. Have not had an ear infection since I started doing this, I was used to having them at least two or three times a year.
I get the same thing but with my right ear. Do you let the tea bag get cold?

Whenever anyone in the family get a bee/hornet sting, I make a moist paste of MSG and apply. Stops the pain and makes it easier to remove the stinger. :angel:

Whenever anyone in the family get a bee/hornet sting, I make a moist paste of MSG and apply. Stops the pain and makes it easier to remove the stinger. :angel:
In Girl Guides we were taught "Vinegar for wasps; Bicarbonate for bees" ie cures for stings

My other go to thing when I have a mouth ulcer is honey. It removes any nasty gunk from the ulcer, and my dad used to swear by it as a topical treatment for his psoriasis flare ups.

In Girl Guides we were taught "Vinegar for wasps; Bicarbonate for bees" ie cures for stings

My other go to thing when I have a mouth ulcer is honey. It removes any nasty gunk from the ulcer, and my dad used to swear by it as a topical treatment for his psoriasis flare ups.

I used to get the Psoriasis Letter and in it folks would list some of the things they used. The most popular one that I remember was apple cider vinegar. I prefer the ointment that I am presently using. It cost $503 a tube. So glad I don't have to pay for it. I use about two tubes a month. :angel:

My parents always put meat tenderizer disolved into hot warm water on our stings. The logic was that meat tenderisers break down protiens and bee/hornet/wasp venom is a protien. Don't remember how well it workes.

Honey is supposed to have all sorts of anti-bacterial properties. I wish I could find the article I read about it being useful in treating MRSA. All I can find at the moment are a bunch of "articles" that are basically adds. The one I read talked about honey being a super-saturated solution so it tends to draw water out of cells. It dehydrates some types of bacteria. There is also an enzyme in it that might kill bacteria.

When our cat had problems with fleas both he and I had not so fun reactions to all the treatmemts. We found a bunch of people recommended rosemerry tea as a treatment. We checked animal poison control and rosemary wasn't listed as harmful to cats so we tried it. It worked really well and no nasty reactions!

I get the same thing but with my right ear. Do you let the tea bag get cold?

No, just cool enough it doesn't burn me, you want it to be hot. Cold one's I put on my eyes...actually I use any cold/cool ones (anything but mint, it stings) on my eyes.

My parents always put meat tenderizer disolved into hot warm water on our stings. The logic was that meat tenderisers break down protiens and bee/hornet/wasp venom is a protien. Don't remember how well it workes.

Honey is supposed to have all sorts of anti-bacterial properties. I wish I could find the article I read about it being useful in treating MRSA. All I can find at the moment are a bunch of "articles" that are basically adds. The one I read talked about honey being a super-saturated solution so it tends to draw water out of cells. It dehydrates some types of bacteria. There is also an enzyme in it that might kill bacteria.

When our cat had problems with fleas both he and I had not so fun reactions to all the treatmemts. We found a bunch of people recommended rosemerry tea as a treatment. We checked animal poison control and rosemary wasn't listed as harmful to cats so we tried it. It worked really well and no nasty reactions!

Honey is used medically as a wound healer, for the reasons you list. I for one have never seen mold on honey or in plain sugar/sugar solution. It's only when other things get added that you can get mold.

Google Medihoney...that is the brand name. It's cheaper to buy local honey and use it.

Honey is used medically as a wound healer, for the reasons you list. I for one have never seen mold on honey or in plain sugar/sugar solution. It's only when other things get added that you can get mold.

Google Medihoney...that is the brand name. It's cheaper to buy local honey and use it.
Apparently, when they opened Tutankhamen's tomb they found jars of honey that were perfectly sound and edible (not that I'd want to be the one to test it).

One of the hospitals in the Manchester (England) area, which is held to be THE burns unit in the country, has been using honey on severe burns for some years. And I read not long ago that there is a study somewhere into the use of honey for healing bed-sores in long term bed-ridden patients.

Unfortunately honey has a bit of a jokey rep in Britain as there used to be a rather flamboyant English authoress of regency bodice-rippers, called Barbara Cartland who swore by honey for everything you could think of from putting on your bread to preserving your youth. (I seriously hope you haven't come across this woman's books because they were awful. She was trying to ape Georgette Heyer and not succeeding by miles. Mainly because GH researched her backgrounds so well and wrote intelligently. Neither of which BC did.)

I've heard of using a meat tenderizer paste on stings, too, PAG. It's supposed to work very well.

Apparently, when they opened Tutankhamen's tomb they found jars of honey that were perfectly sound and edible (not that I'd want to be the one to test it).

One of the hospitals in the Manchester (England) area, which is held to be THE burns unit in the country, has been using honey on severe burns for some years. And I read not long ago that there is a study somewhere into the use of honey for healing bed-sores in long term bed-ridden patients.

Unfortunately honey has a bit of a jokey rep in Britain as there used to be a rather flamboyant English authoress of regency bodice-rippers, called Barbara Cartland who swore by honey for everything you could think of from putting on your bread to preserving your youth. (I seriously hope you haven't come across this woman's books because they were awful. She was trying to ape Georgette Heyer and not succeeding by miles. Mainly because GH researched her backgrounds so well and wrote intelligently. Neither of which BC did.)

:ohmy::rolleyes: Oh yes. I have heard of BC. She had this so called claim to being related to QEII. And the makeup! Good Grief! Was there any left in the Kingdom for anyone else? I think it all was on her face. I remember seeing her doing an interview. She had on a negligee spread across a chaise lounge and had the most awful British accent I have ever heard. Even worse than one from Yorkshire. You couldn't understand one word she was saying. Quite a character. :angel:

We have been using medical honey for years at my facility. You wouldn't believe how many elderly come to us with bed sores. We get them healed, they go home and are back in 2 or 3 months with another bed sore.

We have been using medical honey for years at my facility. You wouldn't believe how many elderly come to us with bed sores. We get them healed, they go home and are back in 2 or 3 months with another bed sore.

I remember when I was in the hospital after having my first child, a woman came in from a nursing home. She had been on bed rest for most of her pregnancy. She had a huge bedsore on her hip. One of the nurses was outraged. She wanted to report the home. I can clearly hear her saying in a loud voice so that all the nurses on the floor could hear her say, "Bedsores are caused from bad nursing." The patient started to cry when the nurse put the first wet strip of whatever it was on the sore. "This is the first time anyone has even really looked at it." She was so grateful. The head nurse used that patient to teach all the nurses about bedsores. She used to hold classes when it was time to change the dressings. Some of the nurses had never even seen one. Even some of the young doctors were sickened by it. :angel:

I remember when I was in the hospital after having my first child, a woman came in from a nursing home. She had been on bed rest for most of her pregnancy. She had a huge bedsore on her hip. One of the nurses was outraged. She wanted to report the home. I can clearly hear her saying in a loud voice so that all the nurses on the floor could hear her say, "Bedsores are caused from bad nursing." The patient started to cry when the nurse put the first wet strip of whatever it was on the sore. "This is the first time anyone has even really looked at it." She was so grateful. The head nurse used that patient to teach all the nurses about bedsores. She used to hold classes when it was time to change the dressings. Some of the nurses had never even seen one. Even some of the young doctors were sickened by it. :angel:

It used to be bedsores came from nursing homes, with short staff and untrained help. These days, for the most part, they come from home or the hospital with bedsores. And then there are the patients who are non-compliant with pressure reduction strategies. We have a few paraplegics who are young and sit in their chairs all day, they have the worst pressure ulcers (bedsores). Can you imagine being in your 40's or 50's and needing to stay in a nursing home because you will not take care of yourself?

These days, for the most part, they come from home or the hospital with bedsores. QUOTE]

We moved to Ohio from Oregon to be near my DH parents. When we got here his Dad was not well. He had Alzheimers. The family was trying to care for him at home but it was not working. He spent the majority of his time in bed. I will never forget how horrible his hips were. Both sides - huge and deep bedsores.

I was outraged as the family just brushed it off saying he did it to himself.

DH and I got him to his Dr within 3 days of arriving here and the Dr immediately put him in a nursing home so he could get some proper care.

The bedsores eventually healed and for the last few months of his life he was actually enjoying being alive.

To this day I am still angry at those people for not taking care of their own flesh and blood. My DH - for a long time - blamed himself for his Dad not getting care. We were on the west coast - they were here in the same house with him .. the reason they didn't take him to the dr - they didn't want to spend his money:mad: You know what that means .. they are all a bunch of greedy creeps (that was a nice word and not the word I wanted to use).

So of course they became enraged with me because I took the lead and got him to a Dr.

The end result is that none of the family will talk to DH or me because we "stole" part of their inheritance ... they are sad sad pathetic people.

I was taught that unless a patient was in traction and was not turning themselves, they had to be turned minimum of every 8 hours, preferably every 2 hours. And, if there was a red spot from pressure, to massage it.

MrsLMB, it's not just your in-laws that are greedy. My dad's half sister was like that. My dad's mum's husband was also his sister's dad, but not his. She felt she had more right to inheritance than my dad or their brother. My grandparents were considering the purchase of a colour TV, back when they were brand new and very expensive. My mum told them to go ahead and buy it if they wanted it. They were retired with pensions and a paid off condo. They didn't need to save for their old age. ;)

My aunt was outraged, because we were encouraging her parents to waste her inheritance on frivolous stuff. :ermm:

When my grandmother died, my aunt tried to insist that the condo was worth about $1,500, so my parents should get half and she would take the condo. This was a renovated-to-modern condo in a gorgeous building in downtown Stockholm, a city with a housing shortage at the time.

I have nothing of value to leave to my kids to fight over. During the six years I have been living in this building, I have slowly been giving my kids a lot of the things they have expressed an interest. Because my daughter and Poo pretty much have their own home and everything they need, most of what I have given away went to Spike. The Pirate lives more simply than I do and has no interest in anything I own. My jewelry will got to my daughter's youngest child. It is not much, but she has expressed that I have a couple of pieces she really likes. Two of my kids have the PIN to my bank account so either one can empty the account immediately. Since my daughter and Poo will be sharing the expense of my funeral, any cash is to be divided between them. They all know what my wishes are. All I can do is hope they follow them. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom