Household money saving tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
How do you save money around the house? Here's a couple of my tips:

Mix dish soap 50/50 with water, and use two tablespoons in a small pump container filled with water for hand soap.

Buy larger cuts of meat and use the leftovers for lunch, or turn it into another meal. Leftover chicken - chicken salad, steak - cheese steak sandwiches.

Buy whole chickens and break down into seperate parts. It takes me 5 minutes to turn a whole chicken into boneless/skinless breasts, legs, thighs, wings.

Use the carcass for stock, strain and freeze.

I do the exact same things you described! The soap trick I do on occasion, especially when the hand-soap is running out. I always cut-up my own chickens.

I’ll also go to Sam’s and buy huge packs of ground beef (5+ pounds) and then divide them up myself for freezing. Same with large packs of chicken leg quarters and wings. I also cut leg quarters apart and freeze them individually so that I have packs of legs and packs of thighs for use.

I also like to make big pots of soup and freeze the leftovers in individual servings.

Also, writing out a menu for the week really helps and cuts down on waste. When it’s written down, it’s easy to see where the leftovers are going. For example, one night you make a big pot of chili, the next you have chili-dogs and fries, or chili-cheese nachos, etc. Pork Loin one night, then pork sandwiches or stir-fried rice the next.

Then there are home-remedies that are cool such as using lemon juice to clean SS cookware. DW even has a recipe somewhere for furniture oil that is made with products nearly everyone has lying around the kitchen.

buy huge packs of ground beef (5+ pounds) and then divide them up myself for freezing.

I do that, too, along with other cuts of meat.

My best advice is get a chest freezer if you can afford the space and take advantage of sales and stock up.

I have a make believe Hog that lives in a make believe pen under a real pecan tree behind my house. The object is to starve the hog to death!:ermm:

Everything is turned into something else or frozen for soup/stew/etc. There is no telling how many hogs I have starved to death! :LOL:

Have Fun!

Last edited:
I do the same as mentioned, also take veggie ends and scraps and store them in a freezer bag until I have enough to make veggie stock.

Buy bulk cheese and shred myself and freeze for cooking purposes. Foodsaver comes in handy here.

Unplug any applicance or whatnot from the wall, even tho it is not turned on, it still uses power and emits carbon into the atmosphere. Helps to save $$$ on the electric bill.

I definately like the whole chicken thing... I love using the carcass to make stock and then pick it clean to have chicken for salads and sandwiches!

because everything is SOOOOOOOOOO $$$$$$$ over here in K. we waste nothing. I save all jars and plastic containers and recycle them. There are no dollar stores over here and a small plastic bowl will set you back at least $3-4 dollars. Also since I work at the international school I take in old newspapers, magazines, empty boxes, toilet paper and paper towel rolls for art activities. We also wash and rewash ziploc bags that we bring back with us from the states. Everyone shares DVDS, magazines, and books------recently saw a Reader's Digest for sale here---$13.00USD!! When in the states I also use coupons for the items that I normally use anyway or use store brands that I know are good.

:)Never ever shop for groceries when you are hungry it makes it easier to stick to your list and when you see a great deal on something you like stock up.

I save all my celery tops in the freezer for soups, etc.

Non-food related, we save all our cereal, cracker, soup, etc. boxes for use as "kindling" in our wood stove, which heats our house in the wintertime. Use newspapers in the bottom of the litter box, too.

I also shred all my junk mail and put into my compost pile as some of the "dry" material. Same for all my veggie waste. So far, my compost pile is awesome. Nice and rich and black. Also, definitely no identity theft problems.:LOL: Save in the freezer all chicken and beef trimmings/bones. When enough, I make stock...using my celery tops already saved.

I used to send back all the credit card offers in their own postage-paid envelopes, but figured out it made little difference. Instead, I get compost.

:)Never ever shop for groceries when you are hungry it makes it easier to stick to your list and when you see a great deal on something you like stock up.
Absolutely JP. It took me a while to really learn this because I really don't like grocery shopping so I tend to put it off till I'm hungry. But that's a HUGE mistake. I end up with a pantry full of weird stuff!

With regards to my apartment, a while back I just tried to train myself to really think about each decision I was making, especially with regards to electricity (leaving lights on, having more lights on than needed, unused appliances plugged in, TV on while doing something else etc). After a while, you develop something of a revulsion against excess. It actually turned into something of a pet peeve, really, to see anything unnecessary using electricity. The savings were immense. Just by being observant, I now use 75% less electricity per month with no real hassle, well, other than the mood swings brought on by someone leaving a light on :)

Absolutely JP. It took me a while to really learn this because I really don't like grocery shopping so I tend to put it off till I'm hungry. But that's a HUGE mistake. I end up with a pantry full of weird stuff!

...And, lots of ice cream!

-Mary

Just one idea.

Oten we find turkeys on sale when most folks just are not thinking about them. Often they are very cheap.

Cook them up hawever we wish. Deep fried is a lot easier to do in the warmer weather than it is when you are not sure what the weather is going to be.

Break them down and cook the legs on the barby.

Cook them whole, or the breast, and the meat makes better sandwiches than chicken, particularly in a club.

Then you have the carcass for a lovely soup - or just as a stock.

Most folks just don't think of turkey after Thanksgiving and Christmas, off season it is a tasty way to have great cheap meals.

With regards to my apartment, a while back I just tried to train myself to really think about each decision I was making, especially with regards to electricity (leaving lights on, having more lights on than needed, unused appliances plugged in, TV on while doing something else etc). After a while, you develop something of a revulsion against excess. It actually turned into something of a pet peeve, really, to see anything unnecessary using electricity. The savings were immense. Just by being observant, I now use 75% less electricity per month with no real hassle, well, other than the mood swings brought on by someone leaving a light on :)

Could not agree more... the savings that can be realized just by being conscience of the stuff you leave on or plugged in can make a big difference. I get upset when hubby stands with the fridge door open to long. You know what is in there, open the door, get it and shut it! PRONTO! LOL!

i grow a veggie and herb garden, and a raspberry thicket, as well as a huge apple tree. nothing saves more energy than just walking outside into your garden to pick fresh produce.

also, i walk around my house, constantly having to power things off.

for some reason, dw doesn't seem to get it.

in fact, one of my credit cards were stolen recently, but i didn't report it. the thief spends far less than my wife...

I save by cooking a $10 meal at home instead of paying $30+gratuity at a restaurant. i.e. 90% lean ground beef $5.00, burger buns $2.00, couple slices bacon .50 cents, salad fixings $1.00, cheese $1.00, roasted potatoes with herbs and spices .50 cents, preparation and savoring it...priceless!

I buy in bulk too. And I shop at the dollar store for items like scrubbing pads etc. I also use rags and cleaning sprays or vinegar rather than all those Swiffer things.

Stayed at a resort in Turkey last year that took "saving money" to new heights. All air conditioning went off promptly at 8 am and didn't come back on until 8pm. This was during 85plus temps and our room faced the hot afternoon sun. We just laid on our beds and didn't move. Then as soon as you opened the balcony door to get some air (the balcony door had to be locked in order for the a/c to come on) or left the room OFF went the A/C. If you wanted your room to cool down by the time you went to sleep at least one person had to stay in the room. They had to have saved a lot of $$$$$ with time. But the "funniest" thing was the game that was played by the staff at the front desk. Complaints about the A/C not working were taken care of by moving us to a new and just as hot room, and after complaining again, sending a "repairman" who fiddled with the thermostat, looked at the vent, etc. and then told us that the hotel was working on it and that it should be up and running in a few hours. Sure did. Came on promptly on at 8pm---we realized by the 2nd day that it was all a charade and there was nothing that we could do about it as this was the only resort there was. Also the hotel was shaped like a crescent so ALL the rooms were hot. Other than the fun & games by the management we did have a nice time.

Back
Top Bottom