How did your turkey turn out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
This doesnt need a poll. Just wondering if you had a good experience with your turkey ( for those in the U.S. Celebrating T-day).

Oddly this was my best turkey ever ( in terms of moisture).

I use the Alton Brown recipe for Thanksgiving turkey. It was moist and tasty with a rich brown skin. I made dressing separately and cooked it outside the bird.

Everything great here! We fed 74 in 3 hours....and had one hotel size pan of dressing left and 2 of turkey. Hope everyone else had a warm and blessed holiday!

Because of circumstances I wasn't able to shop for today's meal until last night, so we ended up with a turkey breast. It turned out really nice, as did the rest of the meal. Even though it is just the two of us, I always do the whole works for Thanksgiving. Some people think that's silly, but why give up part of the meal just because we are the only ones eating it?

:) Barbara

Barbara L said:
...Some people think that's silly, but why give up part of the meal just because we are the only ones eating it? :) Barbara

I don't think it's silly. The two of us do the same thing. In fact, one year I cooked a full Thanksgiving dinner for myself.

i've done that too andy and barb. we used to get free turkeys (if you spent a certain amount of dinero in that store over a few week period), so we'd eat one on thanksgiving, and freeze the rest. then we'd do the whole works again for no reason other than dinner, usually towards the end of winter. a few times it was just for myself.
like jkath said in another thread, it's just one of those meals that i love. i'd rank it right up there with prime rib roasts, steamed lobsters and crabs, and sunday gravy, so why not have it more than once a year?

our dinner was great. mys sis and mom made a whole turkey and an extra breast that were delicious, as well as their gravy. i was suspicious as to how it would turn out after being cooked at mom's house, then surviving a 45 minute ride to my other sis's house to be reheated. it was moist and tasty, so you'd never have known it's ittinerary.
my hostess sis did a nice job with appys (i think i ate a pound of shrimp cocktail) dw's stuffing was superb, and her apple pies were perfect: not too runny, or too firm. it must have been due to my very precise peeling and coring techniques, i'm sure. :cool:

one of the best toikey days ever. :chef:

The Turkey turned out juicy and golden brown skin, stuffing was so good even if i did make it myself, the ham my daughter fixed had a slight some taste to it with a semi sweet sauce to baste it with..The best part, spending the day with my family, laughing and just enjoying the laughter and smiles of the little guys. Talked to my oldest son, his wife and my two granddaughter, and got a call from my daughter, and Ethan and Olivia, who were at another aunties house for today..
See Barb no matter how many are around that table, those absent, are there in our hearts.

kadesma:)

I tried somthing different this year. I alway rub butter on the outside of the turkey. this year I took butter and mixed it with fresh sage, thyme, salt pepper,(evything you get in poultry seas.) and let let it sit in fridge for a couple of days to favor. then took it to soften and rubbed a little on the outside but put moist of it under the skin, Oh boy was it ever tasty, moist, Yumm. I don't like stuuffing on the inside i put carrot celery onion sage leaves in the cavity. unbeliveable gray it make with the dripping also form the butter. It was a good thanksgiving.

I started very well yesterday. I planned everything perfectly until an hour before time to take the turkey out. That's when I uncover it to brown. I decided to take his temperature. 160*! I was concerned but figured it could still get there in an hour. Well, it didn't. Not in an hour & a half. (I blame my husband. He bought a high-falutin' BB. I always get a nice, no name turkey who knows how to do as he's told.) I was taking the turkey, stuffing and gravy to the family dinner at my daughters and had to be there on time. I took the turkey out and let it rest for 30 minutes (don't ask me why I stuck to this in the position I was in but habits are hard to break) I carved it and plated it and put it in the microwave. After all of that was done, I poured off the juice and cooked it and poured it over the sliced turkey. We got to her house (in a tizzy) only 15 min late. Of course it all turned out beautifully and we had a wonderful meal and enjoyed the family laughing and joking together. I finally gave out, we came home and I hit the couch.
Ya know how you tell kids to get that (whatever) out of their mouths when they're walking/running/playing? How many times do you have to say it? Soon after hitting the couch the phone rang. My 7 yr old grandson had jammed the eraser end (sans eraser) into the back of his throat resulting in a gaping hole and we had to take him to the hospital in an ambulance. (Just in case of swelling) He did fine. They eventually decided to let it heal on it's own, gave him some pain medicine and sent us home. I am very thankful.
(Sorry to be so "long-winded". I just had to tell you about my day.)

This was the first year that I got to cook the turkey (usually it's my mom's job) and I'm really proud of how it turned out. I set the turkey on a bed of veggies like many of you recommended, rubbed a compound butter under and on the skin, trussed it nice and tight and it turned out juicy, flavorful, and perfectly golden. My dad yelled at me for getting ready to cut into it before he took its picture!:ROFLMAO:

Twice-baked sweet potatoes were addictive, and I was really pleased with my two desserts, too. Only problem was that in a futile (and really unnecessary, considering rest of the menu!) attempt to be a little healthy I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese in my ginger pumpkin cheesecake pie and it didn't set up as firmly as I would have liked it too. Still tasted great though!

Sofie ate some of everything, and usually she just picks a bit at meals. She even fell asleep at 7 PM, much, much earlier than normal!

I'm glad to hear everyone else had wonderful days, too!

My mom and sister cooked - and it was wonderful. We had all the usual stuff - turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, stuffing, vegetable casserole and cranberry sauce.

I got home from work Wednesday night, and unbeknownst to PeppA, set up a brine and brined our turkey (she doesn't like my to brine poultry, as the first time I did it, I goofed and used WAY to much salt). I cut the outer two sections of the wings off, the tail, and some of the fat from the tail, as well as reserving the neck and giblets.

Wednesday morning, I roasted the neck and cut pieces, except the giblets (reserved those for the stuffing), then used the roasted pieces to make stock. I also cut two onions in half, and cut a couple ribs of celery into thirds, and lined the roasting pan with them. I removed the turkey from my brine, and placed it into the roasting pan. I seasoned the bird all over with salt, pepper, sage, thyme, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. I placed half an onion and half an orange into the body cavity. I placed this into the fridge to wait until noon to start cooking.

I made a bread stuffing (for PeppA), and used the giblets for that, and stuffed the tail section of the bird (the bulk of the stuffing wasn't actually inside the bird, just resting on the tail.

12 noon came, and into the oven the bird went for 3 1/2 hours, basting every half hour. I had originally planned on roasting for 4 hours, but when I temped the bird at 3 hours, I realized it wasn't going to go that long.

That's when the rush started. I had to get the veggies going, make the gravy, my cornbread dressing, cresecnt rolls. I got it all done, but could have used a couple extra burners on the stove.

Here's a pic of my bird when it came out of the oven:

2006thanksgivingturkeyoi9.jpg

The turkey gravy was really, REALLY, good. I poured all the juices/drippings/bits of turkey skin/meat that was in the roasting pan into my large cast iron skillet, and over high heat, cooked off the water, then heavily caramelized the "bits" in the turkey fat. While that was cooking, I strained the turkey stock that had been simmering all day long, then deglazed my roasting pan with the stock. Once that was done, I strained the sauce to remove all the skin bits, and set the sauce up to reduce a bit and concentrate the flavor (not that it really needed it) Once I tightened the gravy, and seasoned it with a little salt and pepper, it was magnificent. Since I caramelize the drippings so much, the color was similar to a dark brown roux, or close to a beef gravy. It's so good, that we can (and probably will) eat the gravy smothered on plain bread.

Homemade pumpkin pies made a great dessert. Of course, PeppA had to get some ice cream, so we enjoyed a second, smaller, dessert a couple of hours later that night. By that time, around 8:30, I was ready to pass out, and once I stumbled in to bed, did just exactly that. I guess we were all OD'ed on tryptophan, as I was the last one to go to bed.

I had talked my mom into letting me make a second turkey, because I wanted to try smoking/grilling one. I followed Alton Brown's honey brine recipe even though the bird had a solution in it. I also "stuffed" the bird with cubed oranges, lemons, sage, rosemary and thyme. we have a grill where you can out the charcoal on the side to smoke what you are cooking. I also made smoke packages of mesquite chips with rosemary, sage, thyme, and Cinnamon. I made three of these, which I put on the coals one at a time about every forty minutes. I had a hard time with temperature regulation of the grill, but wasn't terribly worried because I had a working thermometer inside the breast, which I could read outside the grill. It cooked for about 3.5 hours, and looked an incredible golden brown. It was done in the perfect time for dinner, which worked out well, because the other turkey wasn't done for another hour and a half.

It tasted great, though unconventional. It was even juicer than deep fried turkeys I have done in the past. I would highly recommend this to others, though for a thanksgiving turkey, I would use less smoke in the future, but will do it again as I did for other occasions.

it was awesome: sausage wild rice and pecan stuffing, fresh tom turkey, roasted over root veggies (sweet onions parsnips carots) turnip greens with ham hocks, sprouts with panceta and balsamic (roasted), whipped garlic spuds, roasted haymans (a local heirloom white sweet potato), punkin pies

afternoon delights before included fresh boar sausage and pomagranate molasses, two fine cheeses, a variety of olives, and a brie & pesto fondue.

The day was splendid, obviously I love to cook and feed friends and family. I hope everybody else had a great day whether they had home made or ate out, simple or fancy.

Hey Let's, that show was one of the funniest I've ever seen on tv. Thanks for giving me a laugh thinking of it.

I ended up changing the preperation of the turkey we did for the Thanksgiving set menu dinner. We also served a rectangular three-compartment plate with homemade cranberry sauce, buttered asparagus and baby carrots, and a chestnut and cherry stuffing timbale with the dish. The turkeys I used were smaller, young turkeys, that basically yield a 1.5 to 2 lb. piece (before cooking) which is perfect for individual plating. It was a twice cooked method of making turkey confit, then deep frying it to order so it's crispy:

Crispy Free Range Young Turkey Confit
Kabocha Pumpkin Risotto, Caramelized Onions, Buttered Asparagus and Baby Corn, Housemade Cranberry Sauce, Chestnut Stuffing, Truffled Giblet Jus

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom