How do I host a casual summer party (post-social distancing/pandemic)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niceties55

Assistant Cook
I am looking to host a summer party (post-social distancing) but I am kind of new to "hosting parties" and do not want it to be too awkward.

I would like it to be a casual, indoors/outdoors event. I am not looking for a crazy/wild party. Just a good time for us to hang out, especially since I have not seen a lot of these people in person for a while.

The people I am inviting are all master's students or young couples so the cheaper the better. The thing that could get weird is the fact that I know the people that I am inviting, but some of these people do not know each other.

My 2 questions are:

What are things that I could do to be a good host and not make things awkward? (games to play, things to talk about, how to get people to talk to each other, outdoor activities.)

What types of food should I make and/or what food friends should bring?

I'd suggest you plan your casual house party for next summer. It will be a very long time before responsible social distancing, in one form or another, is over. Save yourself the trouble for now as it's likely most of your guests will decline your invitation. I, for one, will be social distancing until a proven vaccine is available for all.

Last edited:
I agree with Kay about the timing, but you can still make plans in the meantime [emoji2]

Food and drinks - for the last few years, my neighborhood has been having a monthly cocktail/potluck party. Everyone brings a dish to share and everyone brings their own drinks, which they can choose to share or not. They generally have several seating areas inside and out - try to have places where guests can put down drinks while they eat. Make sure trash and recycling receptacles are available.

Personally, I like it when there's quiet but upbeat music; it sets the atmosphere and makes it feel more comfortable. Also, think about ways to provide soft lighting.

It helps to designate a friend to greet guests and show them where to put food and drinks, so you're free to do other things.

Encouraging guests to chat and mingle - since you know everyone, when you have the opportunity, introduce people who you know have interests in common - their research or field of study, sports, hobbies, etc. You can get them talking and then excuse yourself to "go say hi" to someone else.

Activities - not really needed at adult parties, imo, so this isn't something I'd spend a lot of time on. Corn hole seems to be pretty popular right now, so if you have the space, you could set that up. If people want to play, they will.

That's all I have off the top of my head [emoji2]

Great ideas there GG !! I sure hope you'll soon be able to attend those great neighborhood parities of yours once more. It now sounds like there's reliable hope for a vaccine by the end of the year. Hope is such a powerful and comforting word. :heart:

Back
Top Bottom