How do I keep Christmas trees alive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
Every year I buy a live Christmas tree in a pot hoping to plant it outside when the thaw comes.
Well they keep dying before I get a chance to plant them outside.
Would anyone have any tips about keeping it alive?
Mel

What have you been doing? Probably easier to suggest where you are going wrong rather than come up with ideas.

What is the root system like on the trees generally?

The tree is around 4 feet tall. I usually just leave it in the pot is comes in and hope to plant it outside in March. I keep it until then in the house so the sudden change of temperature wont kill it. Maybe I should put it ouside sooner, in case the pot is too small? I have another pot which is slightly bigger than the one it comes in. I wonder if it would be worth transferring it to that one. And it is a prettier pot for Christmas too. :)

I usually water it now and again. I wait until the soil is dry and then give water. This seems to keep my house plants healthy but not the Christmas trees. :ermm:

I dont know anything about root systems so I cant coment about that.

As to the roots I was wondering if they were cut/damaged when the retailer puts it in the pot. I'm with Rom that it might need a bigger pot but I am loathe to suggest doing it before Christmas in case it starts to wilt.

How long do you have it before it starts to look dodgy? If it is slowly dying from day one (effectively), it could be that it has got damaged roots. Try another retailer if you usually go to the same one. (Always assuming that you have that as an option.)

Don't know that you will have much luck but you can try a couple of things: Transplant it into a much bigger tub - this is a tree don't forget, put some sort of mulch and water retaining crystals around the base (but not to close to the trunk) (the crystals can be mixed in with the soil), use a product that protects the tree from stress (we have something called StressGuard) as you are trying to grow it in a warm environment (assuming you have fires/heaters on in winter) and keep the soil moist.

Still think you have damaged roots as the main reason. These trees aren't treated with a lot of respect by some retailers - just a quick buck. I would be looking for one that was grown in a bag rather than something sold in a pot.

Thanks very much for the tips Bilby.
Unfortunately I think u may be right about the roots being damaged since the the trees never survive.:(

I usually dont notice the Christmas tree is dying until it starts shedding a lot of needles.

Mel

Look Mel, I have khaki coloured thumbs but I watch/listen to a lot of gardening shows. However there maybe a much more experienced gardener that can help you more.

When you get rid of this year's tree, take it out of the pot and have a look at the roots. I suspect you will find they have been cut, or if grown in the pot, severely pot-bound. Think it is one of those markets where they do NOT want you growing your own so it doesn't do them any good to look after the plant. It just needs to last to Christmas Day and then most people just chuck them out. It seems such a sin.

It sure is a pit Bilby.:(
At least the trees make compost for the garden. I usually chop them up into little pieces when I find they are dead and then feed the garden with them.

Mel

You cannot keep a tree in the house for months. Usually only a week to ten days is recommended.

You have to plant it even if it is cold outside. So if your ground is going to be frozen, dig the hole for it earlier. Then plant it even if it is cold.

If you Google living Christmas tree care you will find a number ways to take care of your tree.

Good luck this year.

my Tree expert friend said:

As a general rule, trees don't like being brought inside. Iin bonsai, the rule of thumb is, for every day inside, a tree needs 5 days outside to recover.

The absolute worst time of year to bring a tree inside is winter. The tree (even conifers) will have gone into dormancy (or very slow 'tickover' metabolism) and bringing it into a warm, centrally heated (i.e. extremely dry) environment demands water from the leaves (or needles) that the roots can't supply because the tree is dormant.

Sometimes the warmth can trigger a false spring, in which case, the tree will begin growing and then putting it outside in freezing temperatures will kill it.

I say all this just to show that the odds are stacked against your mate. However, there are some things that can be done do to increase his (or her) odds.

1) Make sure the tree is properly potted. Many of these 'potted live' trees have just been ripped from the ground and have no useful roots to speak of. These trees will hold their needles for longer than cut trees, but will still invariably die.

2) Make sure it hasn't been sprayed with one of those 'anti needle-shedding' sprays (that stop christmas trees shedding all over the place). It's essentially a laquer that stick the needles to the tree but will clog the pores and will suffocate it.

3) Place it as far away from radiators or other sources of dry heat as possible.

4) Spray with a fine mist of water at least twice a day to keep up the humidity around the needles.

5) Don't let the soil in the pot dry out (aim to keep it damp, not wet).

6) Keep it inside for as short a time as possible.

7) When putting it out, don't put it straight out into a freezing frosty garden. Put it in a well lit but sheltered area (south facing wall), out of any harsh winds and protect it from hard freezing for the rest of that winter.

8) If it makes it that far, put it into prepared ground in early spring (late Feb. Early March).

Thanks Auntdot:)
That might be what I am doing wrong. I think I will try putting it outside at the end of January instead of March. I know it will still be in the house for longer than a week, but I like to have it in the house until Chirstmas is well and truely over.

I put all dead plants, vegetable trimmings and fruit peal in the garden Bilby. I put some of them at the bottom of pots in which I am going to plant something.

Mel

Thanks YT:)
If this tree survives it will be the first time ever I managed to keep one alive.
Hopefully having all this information will be what it takes but I think u are right, the odds are against it because I want to keep it in the house for the entire Christmas season. It makes me feel cheerful. I am planning to buy it today and Christmas is not properly over until the end of January.

Mel

Oh, deary me. There is a big difference in pine trees. A Norfolk pine is a tropical plant, others are cold weather plants. BIG difference. Norfolk pines have to come in after the first sign of frost, others can live outside.

Claire, I think it is called a Norway spruce.

Bilby that rust idea sounds good. Maybe plants need a lot of iron. I could feed some tins to the plants as well as vegetable trimmings instead of tossing them in the recycling. :)

Aunt Dot is exactly right with her directions, except that you might want to harden the tree off in a protected place for a few days before you put it in the hole.

My old neighbors used to set theirs on their porch right after Christmas and the wife's father came for it in a couple weeks to plant it on his property. It wasn't in a pot though. It was wrapped up in burlap like typical of a rootball. I have no idea what kind of stand they used to keep it from tipping.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom