How do you organize your pantry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callie

Head Chef
I'm not sure exactly where this question fits...

My pantry is a disaster! I don't have much space in my kitchen. Mr. callie built me a pretty pantry, but I'm always losing things in it!

How do you organize things in your pantry?

I have a pantry about 1.5'w x 7.5'h x 18"d

5 shelves top to bottom

Shelf 1 - Light stuff like pastas, rice, and cereals
Shelf 2 - Often used items - Broth, tomato products, vinegars, oils
Shelf 3 - Less used items - Soups, boxed items, Sauces, Marinades
Shelf 4 - Misc items like canned veggies, Mayo, ketchup, tuna, etc.
Shelf 5 - Heavy items, larger containers fryer oil, sugar, flour, etc.

Hmmm? My pantry is sort of silly since my house isn't air-conditioned. However, I have a shelf that includes all pastas and dried beans/legumes.

Then, I have all manner of whatever canned things I might have, beans, sauces, fruits, sauces (although, I can nearly all my tomato products), whatever. Make most of my broths so no canned there.

That pretty much sums up my canned goods. Although I will admit to the occasional purchase of artichoke hearts and other treats.

hi, callie! my pea in a pod!
my pantry is just fit items where you can!

I just keep like items together.

Canned tomato products
Dry pastas and grains
Canned and boxed broths
Dry herbs and spices
Oils
Vinegars

hi, callie! my pea in a pod!
my pantry is just fit items where you can!

5.gif
hi, luvs!! that's what i do, too...but that's how i get in trouble. it's a small pantry - but i never can find things i KNOW are there. then after i buy the item again, i find the "lost" one. sigh

The only rule in my pantry is that cereal, crackers and chips are on a low shelf, so when the kids were little they could reach. Also, I have a small plate that I keep syrup on so I don't end up having to scrub sticky off the shelves. I also have a 2 tiered lazy susan for spices and those little wire racks for cans. Oh, and I have 2 baskets on the floor under the bottom shelves for all the stuff that won't fit anywhere else. Hmmm...reading this it sounds organized, but really it just has "organized potential".

I have a good sized pantry, my problem is keeping things like tire irons, big jars of grease remover out in the garage..I even found a deflated tire we needed to save..It was rather tough to the tooth:ROFLMAO: I keep all boxed items on one shelf, canned goods on another level, at the very top two shelves which are a u shaped is my serving platters,bowls and such, also things like a blender stick, mandolin,pannini press,extras for the cuisinart, ebelskiver pan,egg poacher,juice and tea pitchers,my raclette set,waffle irons,blenders..next shelf pastas,rice,on another shelf all things for baking,sugar,flour,polenta,at the bottom cleaning products, a tea cart with slow cooker and large baking dishes,one of 2 cast iron pots and lids.paper plates, napkins .I love my pantry and am rather selfish about anyone putting something in it. I think I've done a good job loading it myself...Oh yes there is a special place for the chocolate chips and candy and cookies for my little ones:)
kadesma

Here's my pantry

Attachments

• pantry1.jpg
    pantry1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 69
  • pantry2.jpg
    pantry2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 61
Well, no way is mine that organized. I organize my pantry (a fraction of what some have said, but huge compared with any other couple I know) and then my husband goes through and organizes it how he thinks it should be. I've given up. It is a turn of the century kitchen, and all I DO demand is that the food that is opened (i.e., oils, vinegars, sauces, spices) be in the cabinets near where I am cooking. The unopened ones can go in the pantry cabinet, which is actually somewhat subterrenean (it would take an entire line here to explain it) keeps the foods that are not going to be used more immediately. We still have disagreements (not often) when I go to look for an ingredient for a dish that should be in the kitchen, and have to go looking for it. It isn't that the "pantry" closet is that far away from where I keep the products that are already opened. Just that I want to be able to reach for something where I left it. We've moved every few years all of our lives (military) and, ironically, he used to do easily his share of the cooking. For some reason in recent years I've wound up cooking more and more and more (I'd say it used to be 60/40 and now it is 95/5), the less he cooks, the more he knows the better way to organize the kitchen. Great Scream Inserted Here.

My pantry is fairly large (walk-in). My sisters all are jealous! I keep like things together. Cereal on one shelf, with tomato products and canned soups next to them. Staples like rice, pasta, flour, sugar etc. on the next shelf with canned veggies. Bottom shelf is canned meats, extra condiments (I buy some online and have to get a case). Under that is dogfood and a basket of cleaning supplies. I have those little wire shelves and used old baby wipes boxes to hold sauce packets and dried soup mix and Kool Aid. Another basket holds chips and nuts. I have a shelf for my slow cooker, waffle iron, rice cooker. It doesn't always stay neat, but I can usually find what I'm looking for.

I organized my pantry - I made a computer table of where everything was by shelf and uprights. It worked pretty well. But I fell off the wagon and my darling DIL re-organized it for me....Bless her heart!

Her notion of organization meant what fits - not what goes together.

I need to organize my pantry! :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom