How do you punish/train a bird?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
My cockatoo, Spike has yet again chewed something. He has been chewing my refrigerator grate on and off for a few weeks every chance he gets. I try to keep an eye on him as I like to leave him out of his cage most of the time and he has a play pen perch and lots of toys. Yesterday I was putting a load of clothes in to wash and came in to find him in front of the fridge looking innocent. I got him back to his play pen and didn't think any more about it. Well, this morning I went to get a glass of ice water from the fridge door and cold water shot all over my legs and the floor. Apparently he had chewed through the water supply hose. Yelling at him only got me a pitiful, puzzled look. When he performs undesirable behaviour, how can I make him understand and associate his actions as bad?:(

Basically, I don't think you can stop cockatoos from chewing. It is a natural instinct, and birds simply do not understand punishment.

When I had a pair of cockatoos, I provided them with perches made from 2 x 4's. They would last less than a month before they needed to be replaced.

Make him watch you prepare, cook and eat a Cornish hen.

When eating it, shake your finger at the Cornish hen and say "Bad Bird, BAD Bird!"

He may need counseling afterward however.... :ROFLMAO:

(Jus kiddin of course.:-p)

Ha!

Make him watch you prepare, cook and eat a Cornish hen.

When eating it, shake your finger at the Cornish hen and say "Bad Bird, BAD Bird!"

He may need counseling afterward however.... :ROFLMAO:

(Jus kiddin of course.:-p)

That wouldn't work... he likes to eat chicken and cornish hen bones:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom