How Many Layers Is Your Lasagne?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm starting to feel inadequate with 2 layers. I start off with meat/filling at the bottom, then a layer of pasta sheets (however many it takes to cover), then meat/filling, then pasta, then topping.

You should only be guided by the depth of the dish you are baking it in or the amount of ingredients. :yum:

Haven't you heard? It's not the size that counts, it's how you use those layers.:rolleyes::LOL:

Seriously, I am no longer able to have all that pasta, the rest of the meat sauce and cheese I can eat all day. So a two layer would be the right amount of pasta.

Try swapping out the noodles and using thinly sliced eggplant instead!

My signature lasagna method is as follows (layers vary, but it's basically the same structure!)

1. sauce on bottom of pan
2. noodles
3. meat or vegetable sauce
4. noodles
5. Mozzarella
6. optional layer of sausage or mushrooms (no sauce)
7. bechamel
8. noodles
9. meat/vegetable sauce
10 . mozzarella

So I guess if the amount of noodles counts, it is a three layer! ;)

Last edited:
Princess Fiona and Gravy Queen,

Nothing wrong with a small two layer Lasagne Ladies,
I so agree, Margi!

My bulky lasagne formula came through my catering - actually as a vegetarian option for the main (at weddings and other banquets) so I wanted it filling and unique. Then I used it when we worked at a kid's camp on summer and we used it because you could cut smaller pieces and still fill them up (we were cooking for 600 people at a time and filling smaller table sized pans).

My mom's recipe was a two (pasta) layer and I loved it. She used cottage cheese but I prefer my bechamel.....and others seem to agree! :rolleyes:

Good Evening LPB,

If you count, the sauce on bottom = 1 layer, then lasagne sheets = layer 2 and then, filling = layer 3, then more lasagne sheets = 4th and the Bechamel is number 7 ( in mine ! ) ... so Please recount ... filling is a layer.

*** you have a skyscraper there !!! Yum ...

Thanks for feedback.

Kind regards.
Margi.

Last edited:
Good Evening LPB,

If you count, the sauce on bottom = 1 layer, then lasagne sheets = layer 2 and then, filling = layer 3, then more lasagne sheets = 4th and the Bechamel is number 7 ( in mine ! ) ... so Please recount ... filling is a layer.

Thanks for feedback.

Kind regards.
Margi.

If I'm going to count that way I have 13 layers in my lasagna usually, though I alwasy though there were only 3. ;):LOL:

First layer is sauce with crushed, already cooked meatballs,
grated cheese, s & p,
then a layer of noodles long ways,
then a layer of doppled ricotta spread out and sprinkled with grated mozz,
then a layer of lasagna noodles placed short ways,
then a layer of sauce, meatballs, grated cheese,
then noodles long-ways,
then layer of ricotta and mozz,
followed by a short side layer of noodles,
topped with a final layer of no ricotta, just some sauce, crushed meatballs, grated cheese and topped with mozz.

So I guess it's meat, noodles, cheese, noodles, meat, noodles, cheese, noodles, then final top layer.
This is how my nonna and mother did it. If I had to cut it down it would have to be in a shorter width dish. But to cut down on a layer, I don't know which one I could cut out and have it be just as good. :ohmy:

Good Evening LPB,

Thanks for feedback.

Kind regards.
Margi.
Thanks, Margi. I was meaning if you ONLY count the noodles, then mine is a three layer, but I numbered each layer in my description as 1 - 10! :)

Now you all have me wanting to make some lasagna!

Margi Cintrano said:
@ Addie,

Ricotta is quite spreadable when at room temperature --- and put in Food Processor with Pecorino, Buffala di Mozzarella ---

However, Skittle prepares her´s quite different than I do.

I personally do not combine the vegetables with the mushrooms, nor the cheese. I have three aspects: 1st: the ricotta, pecorino and buffala di mozzarella mixture with only the spinach or the spinach in my dough, for a spinach lasagne
2ndly: the mushrooms sliced and intact, which were sautéed
3rdly: the veggie combination

The ricotta mix is a cheese spread; which is spread on the lasagne sheets, then, the veggies on top spread. The mushrooms are placed on top of that, and then, another sheet layer of lasagne sheets ...

Have lovely day.
Margi.

I have never tried mixing the veggies mushrooms and ricotta together- I just like the idea. I usually chop them up and put them in the sauce. I do a layer of sauce, a layer of noodles, a layer of ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan, another layer of sauce, then noodles, then cheese and so on until I have three layers of each. So if you count each layer of cheese, sauce, and pasta a separate layer, I guess I do ten layers (since there are 4 layers of sauce)

I do mine like Margi does. All cheeses together, sliced mushrooms and other foods sauteed first. I want texture, not mush. And I do lay my noodles in opposite directions. The noodle is the start of each new layer. What goes on top of that noodle is part of that layer. I don't consider the additions a different layer. So if you use seven noodles, then you have seven layers. :yum:

@ Addie,

You are Right On Lady ! Texture, not mush ! I have an intense dislike for mushy textured anything ... pasta not al dente and too soft because it is overcooked, for example, Runny thin mashed potatoes, overcooked anything and a lasagne´s Bechamel not a bit crisp and golden bubbly !!

Thanks everyone for all your input. Interesting post.
Margi.

I have never tried mixing the veggies mushrooms and ricotta together- I just like the idea.
:chef: as I mentioned before the main reason I do that is to hide anwanted items from the family members. Otherwise I would have to make 4 separate lasagnas. One doesn't like mushrooms, one doesn't like peppers, one doesn't like melted cheese and i do not like spinach. :LOL:
When mixhed the flavor and taste is there, but nobody can say that there is something they do not like, as long as they cannot see it, they/we are good. :rolleyes:

:chef: as I mentioned before the main reason I do that is to hide anwanted items from the family members. Otherwise I would have to make 4 separate lasagnas. One doesn't like mushrooms, one doesn't like peppers, one doesn't like melted cheese and i do not like spinach. :LOL:
When mixhed the flavor and taste is there, but nobody can say that there is something they do not like, as long as they cannot see it, they/we are good. :rolleyes:

I never understood why some families cooked separate meals for all the members of the family. I always believed in giving my family a choice. Eat it or go hungry. The choice is yours. I do not run a restaurant. :)

Addie said:
I never understood why some families cooked separate meals for all the members of the family. I always believed in giving my family a choice. Eat it or go hungry. The choice is yours. I do not run a restaurant. :)

In my house it was eat it or make yourself a sandwich, and more for everyone else lol. Luckily for me I was never a picky eater.

Charlie,

What about Zucchini, Red Bell Sweet Pepper, Tomato or sundried tomatoes, Ricotta and the Parmesano or Pecorino ?

Can that solve the dislike on the mushrooms, spinach and green bell ?

However, yes, a coarse paste in Food Processor combining the
Ricotta with your ingredients works !

Good idea too. Thanks for sharing. I would just keep it more thick and cheesey !

Margi.

Back
Top Bottom