How many restaurant seats are in your town?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Portsmouth is a small city on the seacoast of New Hampshire with a population of just under 22,000. According to a recent seacoastonline article, "There are 30,615 restaurant seats in the city, 8,819 more than the number of residents and, as Health Inspector Kim McNamara noted, many of those seats turn over multiple times a day.

The health inspector said the numbers don’t include food inspected at temporary food-focused events, or the farmer’s market.

“So there’s a significant amount of food served in Portsmouth,” she said."

https://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20190721/portsmouth-now-home-to-30000-restaurant-seats

How many restaurant seats are there in your town?

Are you bragging or complaining? :LOL:

How many of those seats are in restaurants that provide really good food?

I'm pretty sure we have (including the food serving bar and 2 restaurants), at least 40 seats in our metropolis. People here are more likely to wander through people's backyards and 'lift' some produce. They are healthy beggars.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Not to be Debby Downer, but all we have in our little community is a Dollar General Store. The post office closed about 7 years ago and the local gas station (message/gossip center) went belly up about the same time. Pretty darned quiet here. However, if you want churches, we have scores and scores of them. We're in the Bible Belt after all.

Town is population 400. One restaurant, Bully's Pub & Grub - my educated estimate is 70 seats. They are open just 4 days a week for lunch and dinner, and most days do a very good business, often a lot of take-out at both meals. We see cars and motorcycles from 4 states regularly parked there.

Last edited:
Does it even matter if you rarely go out to eat? :huh:

Our town of 11,000 is a sleepy bedroom community. No real restaurants, but a couple of the pizza joints have the random table or two for people waiting for take-out pizzas. We have a couple of bars - but I have no idea if they even offer real food. Two donut shops with tables - do those count? I suppose if I count seating at the P(olish) N(ational) A(lliance) I might be able to get the seat count over 100.

Does it even matter if you rarely go out to eat? Nope, except for the economic factor for the town. Our town taxes are low, so it doesn't matter to me.

TS, that's a lot of money coming into the small city Portsmouth as it seems to be culinary destination.

This small city of Santa Paula is just slightly larger at 29,000 and it's far from a culinary destination by any stretch of the imagination. There's around a half dozen small Mexican restaurants, and one Irish Pub with good food.

I don't even know how to look that up. I tried googling, with no luck.

Yeah, I tried, too.

We have 160,000 people, and very few of them cook, so we probably have a staggering number of seats. We have seven prime steakhouses, and that is one small category.

CD

About 40,000 people here but I would guess we probably have a seat for every person living in this town. All there is here are places to eat if you include the fast food places, restaurants, and mall food. Well, OK, our one and only Outback restaurant just closed down, so subtract about 60.

Jenny, I heard you had a tornado back there in Cape Cod. You all OK?

Last edited:
About 40,000 people here but I would guess we probably have a seat for every person living in this town. All there is here are places to eat if you include the fast food places, restaurants, and mall food. Well, OK, our one and only Outback restaurant just closed down, so subtract about 60.

No loss there. :rolleyes:

CD

I read three newspapers. Statistics related to crime, poverty, mortality, incarceration, food deserts and public education failures at every level are frequently reported for the city of about 600,000. Have never seen the number of restaurant seats. Sounds like a first-world issue.

Thankfully, for the time being, we are blessed with good water and good barbeque.

I read three newspapers. Statistics related to crime, poverty, mortality, incarceration, food deserts and public education failures at every level are frequently reported for the city of about 600,000. Have never seen the number of restaurant seats. Sounds like a first-world issue.

Thankfully, for the time being, we are blessed with good water and good barbeque.

Memphis does have more than it's fair share of "issues." But, if you have good food, it ain't all bad. New Orleans is a rough place, but it has some incredible food.

CD

We are a population of just under 10,000....
By my count, there are just over 1,200 seats........

I did not include the Chinese Take-Out, as their 12 seats are for waiting customers, not for dining...:yum::yum::yum:

Lira's bad Mexican food...16 seats
The [Girl Dog's] Corner Bar...8 seats (Imagine that sign on Main Street)
Open Range Diner...8 seats

32 seats in a town of 476...if you toss in the convenience store 36 seats. Lira's is always full when they are open, don't know why, you get better food out of the freezer case.

My town had only one restaurant, eatery which closed down during the winter sometime, I just never noticed. They catered to truckers, locals and carry out food for hunters. Mostly breakfasts and lunches which were pretty good actually. But they've closed... :rolleyes:

So my town has.... ZERO.

Back
Top Bottom