How often do you "clean your cupboards" of unwanted foods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

concreteman

Assistant Cook
I clean mine out once every 6 months or so when our Lions club holds a food drive for the local food banks. Out goes anything pasta based, canned food that I bought on sale, jams and peanut butter. About two or three bags of food and then I start buying again.

that's a smart idea.

dd goes through the cabinets pretty often to check for outdated foods but i pretty much just buy the things we need, not extras. including the freezer!!!

Just remember that many charities won't accept food that's out of date. I often use canned goods that are slightly out of date, but some charities just throw it out.

Unless the can or jar is obviously compromised, it's safe to eat, so there's no reason to discard it. I don't really go through my cupboards like that.

Every time I go grocery shopping I will buy one or two things I don't want. Every 6 months or so I will gather that stuff up and donate it to the food banks. I won't miss $5.00 a week where I might miss spending $100.00 in one week to donate. Every time we hold a food drive I'll "clean out my cupboards" of this excess food plus some items that I thought that I might use. Still well within expiry dates.

I try to buy the things that I need and will use but I clean out my OMG what was I thinking items a couple of times each year. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Every time I go grocery shopping I will buy one or two things I don't want. Every 6 months or so I will gather that stuff up and donate it to the food banks. I won't miss $5.00 a week where I might miss spending $100.00 in one week to donate. Every time we hold a food drive I'll "clean out my cupboards" of this excess food plus some items that I thought that I might use. Still well within expiry dates.

That's great that you do that C. I plan on following your lead. There are SO many people right now, who need help feeding their families for the first time, without a paycheck. It's heartbreaking.

Last edited:
Most of the grocery stores by us have donation bins near the exit. Everything collected goes to the local food bank. I grab a few shelf stable items when I shop, put them loose in the baby seat after they're scanned, then put them in the bin on my way to the car.

The "OMG, what was I thinking" items are the only ones I give to food banks. They don't want the past the best-by-date ones. In fact, they would really rather have money. They can get really good deals on bulk food. It's also easier for them. It's easier to make sure they have enough of the things people need and want. Storage is easier when it isn't random ones and twos of things.

The "OMG, what was I thinking" items are the only ones I give to food banks. They don't want the past the best-by-date ones. In fact, they would really rather have money. They can get really good deals on bulk food. It's also easier for them. It's easier to make sure they have enough of the things people need and want. Storage is easier when it isn't random ones and twos of things.

I've done some serious thinking about this post Taxi, and you are sure right.

We've found our food bank online for this county, and they have made it convenient to set up monthly $$ donations just like paying any other monthly bill of ours. The thought of so many people in need for the first time in their lives makes many of us fortunate people wanting to make a serious difference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom