How often do you eat dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TanyaK

Senior Cook
I never make dessert for only myself and DH - I'll only make it when we're having people over for dinner. When we go out for dinner we might share a dessert. I remember when I worked in the UK years ago the family I stayed with always had dessert (or as they called it "afters") every night of the week - which we loved as at that stage we picked apples for a living so we were starving every night. When I lived in the US the family I stayed with also had dessert quite often. Most people I know don't make a habit of making dessert if it's not for an occasion so maybe it's a regional thing as I quiet often see desserts on the menu on DC - which of course mean that I then crave dessert. Fortunately there's usually cupcakes in the freezer:rolleyes:

no dessert ever planned but we always have like chocolate or cookies or whatever in the house. the wife loves ice cream and im a big lover of chocolate.

they didnt call it "pudding" in the UK?

In that household it was called "afters" but I think you're right - it usually gets called "pudding" in the UK. We call it "pudding" here as well (as well as dessert) . One of the Afrikaans words for it is actually "poeding" which translates to "pudding". There's your useless piece of information for the day :)

I know growing up in NJ, when we had friends or family over or vice versa, we always had dessert and coffee. Whoever was visiting usually brought the dessert which was usually a storebought cake. Now as a grown up in Ga single and living alone, I usually have some icecream in the freezer. I don't really consider it dessert, i just think of it as a before bed snack. When I hear the word dessert I think of something a little more formal.

Almost never. But my mother is the queen of the multi course meal. fruit salad, salad, soup appetizer, bread , a million side dishes, main course and always ends with the desert.

i don't like too many desserts, avoid chocolate (caffiene), & i'm usually stuffed by dessert.
cheesecake's an exception!!

Lately I've been baking apple crostatas and pumpkin pies. I need to stop. Thing is there are 4 kids (including DH) who love sweets in this house. I would settle for a simple fruit salad for dessert. The ice cream has stopped for 9 weeks now. We will only have it every Friday evening or every other Friday.

I'm not a dessert person, but on occasion I will indulge a creme brulee from Pappadeaux's. About the only other time it happens is during holiday gatherings. Gots to have a slice of pumpkin pie!

When we eat out we often have dessert. At home we don't have it that often. James said they usually had dessert when he was growing up. When I was growing up we had a light dessert, like Jello and fruit, every week or so, and heavier desserts less often. We will be making a concerted effort to lose weight when we get home from vacation, and one thing we plan to do (based on a study I read about at WebMD) is eat yogurt three times a day, so I guess we will be eating dessert a lot then. :cool:

:)Barbara

Once in 3 months I'll get the urge for something sweet. Most of my "desserts" consist of cheese and crackers or something spicy.

The DW, on the other hand, is a different story.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom