How often do you eat out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
This is one of those things I really don't know where to place.

How often do you eat outside of your own home?

I think it counts as eating at home if you eat a meal you prepared at home (a sandwich or salad or soup you made and ate at work)

I, personally, eat outside of my home one or two times a week. I'm in my mid fifties, and my husband is in his early 60s. We're retired and on a bit of a budget, but not poor by any means. We're careful with our money, though. We have a group who get together on Friday nights, and we eat out then, and when it is a special occaision, we have a big thing.

When we take our annual trip to be with my family, we actually do eat fast food, but that is maybe 3 or 4 meals a year.

But on a day-to-day basis, how many meals do you not prepare? Carry out, fast food, nice dinners/lunches/ breakfasts out? I'm just curious

I think I could say less than once per month on average. I go for "lunch" or "coffee" with friends more often than not and I'm counting those. As for REAL restaurant outings, I could say definitively that we go out no more than 4 times a year.

I work full time, so that dictates a lot of my eating habits. Obviously then, I eat lunch out 5 days a week. Breakfast on workdays usually consists of a fruit & nut type breakfast bar with a diet Pepsi while I'm driving over the Sunshine Skyway.

On the weekend, I need to spend 1 day shopping & running all the errands that I can't do during the work week. That typically means having lunch and/or dinner along the route somewhere.

At least once during the week I just don't feel like cooking after a long day, so we go out and have dinner & a martini somewhere nearby.

Add to all that the special occasions and the planned social evenings, and I probably eat about 1/3 of my meals at home.

When working and living in NYC and weekending on Eastern Long Island we ate out about half the time. Now that we're living full time on Eastern Long Island we eat out little more than 6 times a year. Sadly by and large, we find the cost of most local restaurant food has become increasingly unjustified by it's quality and quantity. Over the course of the last 10 to 15 years we've seen most all of our favorite dining establishments close down.

About twice a month. And then it is usually either Vietnamese, Thai or a decent Oriental buffet heavy on fresh sushi.
Ditto that we have become less enamored of restaurant food...

Don't eat out anymore

Over two years ago I used to eat out (lunches) once a week. Since then I don't eat out at all. It's much cheaper and healthier to cook all my meals and eat only at home. :chef:

I cook every Saturday, try to make it special. My wife will cook at least one a week.

I work from home M-F, so usually I will just forage at home. Occasionally, if a meeting brings me into a meeting in person, I will grab something from one of my company's cafeterias.

My wife is a nurse, works 2-3 days a week, usually 12 hour shifts, getting home around 9:00 pm, she will grab takeout for herself. She usually buys lunch on her workdays.

We go out typically twice a week. More often than not to a moderately priced place (tab w/wine or drinks & tip, $50-$80).

About once a month, we go to someplace much nicer.

And a nice breakfast out every other Sunday.

Yeah, Max, it is cheaper and healthier to cook at home. But this gal has to scrub the stove, the floors, etc, and I'm fortunate (or smart enough) to have a husband who will wash dishes. What I'm getting at is that eating out isn't just about the food, it is about having a few hours where husband and I can just enjoy each others' company (and sometimes some of our friends). I love to cook, but can't say I love to scrub and clean. So going out isn't so much about the food around here, but about not having to be the scullery maid.

^^^ I agree with this as well. Food is somewhat secondary but lousy food or service can ruin your entire evening....

Another very true statement.

There seems to be sort of a threshold where you decide whether to make an issue or not. But there is nothing worse than paying significant dinero to be aggravated.

Sadly, most of the restaurants locally just are not as good as they used to be. So, my family and I rarely eat out dinner unless we drive to Reno, NV and even then we mostly meet for lunch. I probably eat out 5-10 times per month total. Being single it is mostly a social thing. I get tired of eating by myself, so I will go to the local diner for breakfast and occasionally lunch. That number also includes bringing home Chinese takeout which is what I do when I go grocery shopping in Reno.

i very seldom eat food that i have not prepared. when i eat fast food, maybe three times a year, i bring it home to eat. big meal maybe three times a year. to expensive, and i just enjoy cooking so much. when i get bored i just shop (on line) for ingredients and make something different. re. tamales this week.

............ So going out isn't so much about the food around here, but about not having to be the scullery maid.
Here, here! And unlike you, I'm not fortunate enough to have a DH who does pots and pans (dishes go into the dishwasher) after I've messed them all up!

We rarely went out to eat when we lived in OH. With two kids at home and more chains than family restaurants it was easier/cheaper to cook. When we moved here we were so surprised by the number of stand-alone restaurants with outstanding prices and portions. We went crazy. At first it was 3-4 times a week.:ohmy: Now it's about once a week, sometimes twice. We have a couple of favorites since the food is way beyond "restaurant food" or they make something I do not make at home (can you say "broasted chicken"? yummmmm....)

we have NO temptations within a 45 minute drive...so we eat out a couple times a year....not counting eating out when traveling, but even then I pack some food for road trips..

our main form of entertainment is eating at friends houses or having them over here..

Back
Top Bottom