How often do you eat rice and how much do you like it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We eat rice at various rates, depending on what we feel like eating. I always make enough to put some in the freezer in individual serving size packets. We only cook brown rice and usually brown basmati rice. We like it a lot. I would say anywhere from once every other week to four times in a week.

Qe go through phases. Sometimes a few times a week, then a month will go by.

Since I got my newest rice cooker, I've been making a lot of rice bowls whenbits my turn to cook.

I usually use short grain rice, as I have a bunch for making sushi/sashimi, but it makes such good rice bowls, it's worth using for that.

I eat brown basmati rice almost daily, buying it from places that didn't previously grow cotton fields. Arsenic is drawn up into the rice in those areas, southern US. Arsenic was used as a pesticide or herbicide ? on the cotton fields and is in the soil. For instance California grows a lower arsenic rice. It's also helpful to cook rice like pasta with lots of water, to dilute the arsenic.

My father spent 7 months in China during WWII, and he hated rice, so I never ate rice growing up. I was always potatoes or, because my mother was Sicilian, macaroni.

Now I cook a lot of Asian and Mexican meals, most of which pretty much require rice.

I prefer brown rice to white, but I have both. I cook my rice in a Krups rice cooker, which is also a steamer, a slow cooker, and makes steel cut oat meal.

I make both Mexican red rice and Mexican yellow rice with whole grain rice, and I will make enough rice for each dish to cover the first meal and any leftovers. Sometimes I even have to make a different dish that goes with the same rice.

I will usually use steamed brown rice for Asian dishes, but will make white rice and keep it in the refrigerator overnight if I want to make fried rice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT0oMAPL6bE

Of course, being Sicilian, I eat my fair share of macaroni of every shape and size, and because I still make some of my father's favorite New England Boiled Dinner style meals, I also have both white and sweet potatoes in the pantry, but it's hard to keep them from sprouting before I get a chance to use them.

I eat brown basmati rice almost daily, buying it from places that didn't previously grow cotton fields. Arsenic is drawn up into the rice in those areas, southern US. Arsenic was used as a pesticide or herbicide ? on the cotton fields and is in the soil. For instance California grows a lower arsenic rice. It's also helpful to cook rice like pasta with lots of water, to dilute the arsenic.

Interesting question for me at this time. I love rice but have not been able to properly cook it. Today was the first time I cooked it until it was done, in a pressure cooker. I/we love Spanish rice but it took 30 minutes cooking in a pressure cooker to get the rice cooked.

Cotton is not a food stuff and can have pesticides and insecticides not approved for food stuffs. I also only cook long grain brown rice and am happy I have finally cooked a rice that was not hard!

I have never found any North American basmati rice that tasted like basmati rice. Many of the Texas and California growers seem to think that it's just a specific cultivar, well, at least those growing brown basmati. It's also the fact that the rice is aged, that's what gives it that special basmati flavour and aroma.

I used to eat a lot more rice than I do now, but a little over 12 years ago, I started reducing it in my diet, when helping Mom plan her diet, due to the diabetes. I found out that the rice I would buy in 25 lb bags in the Asian market - jasmine rice - was the absolute worst rice to eat, due to the glycemic index of up to 101! Figures that's what was so good, plus, I made Thai food about 3-4 times a week then. I'm not diabetic, but it's in my Mom's genes, so I started reducing rice, especially the jasmine. The flavor of brown jasmine or basmati, while good, weren't the same. One thing I did was experiment with other grains mixes with jasmine, but most drowned out that flavor. One, however, works well - hulled millet. This has a very mild flavor, and I have mixed up to 2/3 of it to the jasmine, and the jasmine flavor is still there. Usually, I use it 1:1.

I use more of that brown basmati than other rices, for usual things. I keep those brown rices in the freezer in 4 c Foodsaver bags to refill the quart jars with - they are one thing that will go rancid at room temp, even vacuum sealed. But I also have other rices - red rice, some sticky rice, and some black sticky rice, plus a couple of parboiled rices. One type, for making dosa (I don't recall the names for it), and Uncle Ben's (whatever they call it now). I learned way back that parboiled rice is actually more nutritious than brown rice (except for the fiber, which is not high in brown rice anyway), and more recently, I found that the GI is also lower in parboiled than other rices, and the Uncle Ben's was the lowest of any of them. The theory is that the parboiling processing makes the carbohydrates in it "resistant", like refrigerating rice and pasta, lowers the GI.

I still use more other whole grains (or whatever they are) than rice, these days: that millet, black quinoa, amaranth, wild rice, oat groats, barley, sorghum, and many types of wheat - bulgur, freekeh, spelt, kamut, and the hard white and red wheat berries. And probably some I forgot!:LOL:

Last edited:
I thought I´d posted a reply here... must have been a "technological challenge issue" ie. forgot to press the "enter" button.:neutral::neutral:
Rice is a staple here in Venezuela. At first, I found it a bit odd, being a dedicated potato guy, but I got used to it. Typically, (white) rice is prepared with half an onion and some "ají dulce" ( a local sweet chile) in it, which makes for great flavour. The first time I had fish, at the beach, it was served with rice and coleslaw. Wierd, I thought, given that "Fish ´n´Chips" is part of my DNA, but I got used to it.
We mostly eat white rice, basmati, and carnaroli for risottos.
I cook rice the way many Indian cooks make it: like it was pasta. A pan full of boiling water, throw in the rice, cook for 14-15 minutes, strain and serve.

As most know, I am from Hawaii, the land of "two scoop rice". :LOL:

DSC01113.jpg

A typical meal would consist of two scoops of steamed White Rice, mostly Calrose.

My DH is from Pennsylvania and when he first moved to Hawaii he absolutely deplored Rice... and then he met me :cool:
He turned into a local quite quickly. He would never think of having Fish now without Rice... or Chili, or ...
It's on plates more often than we think.
Or, we have Sushi, all manner of Rice dishes.
I grew up with it.

About once a week, I cook a cup of rice (1-2/3 cups water) and we eat about a third of it the first night. I usually give it a lash of soy sauce. As a leftover I serve it fried, with mushrooms and vegs, or Mexican style with chopped onions and chile powder, or in stuffed peppers.

Back
Top Bottom