How often do you grocery shop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I go to the grocery store about once a month. I buy milk, butter, cheese and fresh fruits (at this time of year) and sometimes fresh veggies. This is probably not the norm. How often do the rest of you grocery shop?

I get all of my fruits and veggies at the organic farmers market every Sunday afternoon.
I get honey there too.
I purchase meat a few times throughout the week (depending on who has organic/grass fed) and get milk once a week.

Other than that, it's just little things I need now and then, like wine, or flour/sugar

Once a week. On Saturday between the hours of 0800 and 1000. Purchase limited to the specific items required for the coming weeks menu plan excluding bulk items.

Impulse buying is not allowed. We are strictly limited to items ON THE LIST. All household members can contribute to the list or make menu suggestions electronically at anytime throughout the week.

Left Right Left Right.... we are buying groceries now. Forward March. Left Right Left Right. Halt. About Face....;)

Last edited:
Seems like I'm at the grocery store every week. It varies what I'm getting but bread and milk are 2 things that don't last long around my house. I try to buy meat in bulk at Sam's club but will pick up bits and pieces at the grocery. Then there are the times when I get specific meal requests and don't have all the ingredients so I'll make a run to the store. Fortunately there are several stores close by for those frequent trips.

I go to a few different stores through out the week. I never really do a large order at any of them. I just pick stuff up as I go.

CW: Speaking of Groceries, I sent you a message and your mailbox is full.

My girlfriend is a restaurant manager and goes out to shop for work a couple times a week. She usually grabs us stuff when she goes. I pass a grocery store on my way home from work. I drive my teenage daughter to and from town quite often. I rarely pass a grocery store without stopping in for something.

Last edited:
Pretty much every day or two for something. Today it was mushrooms, so I added a couple other items. No way I can go a month without getting fresh veggies and milk at least three or four times during that month period. Fresh veggies are just too perishable IMO.

Whenever I feel like it. Once a week maybe sometimes more.

In the summer I do farmers market twice a week

I wish we were more European. I'd shop every day or two.

I go once a month for the "big" shopping trip then about every 10 days for fresh items I will need.

I try to go alone most of the time but sometimes I need DH there for large or heavy items. And it ALWAYS costs more when he comes along LOL He sneaks things in the cart when I'm not looking and when we get home I see things that I never would have purchased. I'm thinking maybe give him $10 to spend on whatever he wants .. that would sure be cheaper in the long run .. but I do love his company when he does come along so it's all good in the end.

I wish we were more European. I'd shop every day or two.

i wish we were russian.

then we could get it done faster... :cool:

between dw and i, i'd say we shop about 3 to 4 times a week. we each do one larger trip for staples and things we plan on cooking that week, and then maybe one smaller trip each for things we forgot or ran out of.

Whenever we need to. DH and I both have grocery stores on the way to and from work.

I do tend to go every day or two. I tend to compartmentalize. One day its lots of produce. Another it will be shopping the sales for pantry/long shelf life type things. Another day it will be bagels and bread. Another day I'll shop the meat sales for the week.

I don't like to buy perishables in bulk because I want the freshest available.

Plus I like to go to different stores for different things. My local
Safeway only seems to carry produce from Ecuador/Chile. I don't do Ecuador/Chile produce unless forced. I go to my Foodland instead because they sell locally grown produce.

I'm sure this is sort of weird. I can't imagine being well trained / organized enough to shop only once a week.

forty_caliber, you amaze me. I can't imagine being that well organized. I'm in awe. And little frightened. =o)

I do the big shop once a week on Thursday's and then on Monday's if we want some more fresh vegetables for example for the rest of the week I get them then :)

The grocery is a block from work and on my way home...sometimes I stop in the morning too, if I had nothing planned for lunch. We tend to shop on a daily basis, I call Shrek everyday to find out what he would like me to pick up.

I go to the store, on average, a couple times a week. Once for a big shopping trip, and usually a second time to get fresh veggies and meat for later in the week.

Some of you are going to think this is weird, but I shop completely backwards from most people. The only list I take is for non-consumables like soap, paper towels, water softener salt, and so on. As far as meals go, I do very little planning ahead. DW and I have worked it out where we have 5 nightly meals at home per week. The other two nights we eat out. Two of the sit-down meals are usually vegetarian.

So what I do is take a notepad with me to the store and jot down numbers 1 through 5 - one number for each meal. Then I walk to the meat & seafood area of the store see what's fresh, looks good, is on sale, etc.

Whatever I pick up there is generally what I plan meals around. So I write each item next to one of the numbers. Then I head back to the produce and dry goods sections and get the sides and veggies to go with the meals. Sometimes I'm surfing the net for recipe ideas while in the store.

I know. It's bizarre. But I've been doing it this way for over 30 years now. :rolleyes:

We make the 65 mile round trip to shopping centers once or twice a month. In between, we purchase locally (25 minute round trip bicycle ride) 1 or 2x per week, in combination with a visit to the post office, library, town dump, and or bank.

Last edited:
I usually make 3 trips a month, one to Save-A-Lot, and two to Walmart. When Rouses has a good meat sale I like to make a trip there too, but that only happens every 3 months or so.

I shop weekly, online, for everything, fresh veg, milk , bread, meat etc. I plan what I will cook ahead of my shopping list and then shop accordingly . I only go into the supermarket if I have forgotten something, I love the convenience of an online delivery and I have been using that service for years now .

We stock up for items like bog rolls and kitchen roll at Costco every other month or so plus I usually pick up some meat , I like their meat .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom