How old is this DR Pepper bottle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
This is an image I found on google. DH found the exact same bottle on the lake bottom where he works. I can't find the year for it though. Can someone help me figure it out?

img_328691_0_168dab811d441533cba421da99167961.jpg

There are countless Dr Pepper sites. From what I've seen in the past 15 minutes of looking, your bottle may be one from the first years of production, circa 1885. The bottle you have does not display the 10 4 2 logo yet, and isn't shaped like the tall bottles of the 20s.

I saw something similar to yours on one of the sites that requested a thousand dollar donation for the bottle.

Narrow your search to vintage dr pepper to find a site that can authenticate it.

I've got a feeling its worth something...more than the original product, anyway.

What a cool treasure to find:cool:

hahhahahahaha...I much prefer my version, the thousand dollar one.

They are already 40 years old. Hold onto them. They are not at all like the typical bottles of that decade.

It was fun looking, though. What else is at the bottom of that lake, I wonder:ohmy:

VeraBlue said:
hahhahahahaha...I much prefer my version, the thousand dollar one.

They are already 40 years old. Hold onto them. They are not at all like the typical bottles of that decade.

It was fun looking, though. What else is at the bottom of that lake, I wonder:ohmy:

I know there are arrowheads, but, other than that, I'm interested to see what he finds.:LOL:

One way you know it may not be older than 1923 is that it isn't turning purple. Prior to that time there was manganese in glass bottles which when exposed to sunlight turns purple.

The Dr Pepper bottles look really old. The might be considered antiques. I would guess that they came out in the 1900.

See if they are worth anything.

Jill and Jolie

I think they are from the "pre-med" era of Dr.Pepper...he was always a lil presumtuious. It should of been pepper in scrubs, but just not the same ring to it I guess.

Poor Mr.Pib...he should of kept on going. Stay in school kids!

tg, your hubby works on the bottom of a lake? what he heck could he do for a living?

and all this time you b!tch about him. geez, cut the guy some slack. :)

buckytom said:
tg, your hubby works on the bottom of a lake? what he heck could he do for a living?

and all this time you b!tch about him. geez, cut the guy some slack. :)

BT, he's a fish, you goof!!:LOL:
Naw, our lake is so low, that, most of the cove we are all on is dry. He even moves it, LOL

I found it!! 1966.
somehow I don't think so. I don't remember any Dr. Pepper bottles shaped like that in MY lifetime...

Dr Pepper used to be my favorite soft drink (back when I could drink them)... and I date back before 1966. :cool:

ChefJune said:
somehow I don't think so. I don't remember any Dr. Pepper bottles shaped like that in MY lifetime...

Dr Pepper used to be my favorite soft drink (back when I could drink them)... and I date back before 1966. :cool:

It could have been a retro limited release or such to commemorate a Dr. Pepper anniversary. I don't think anyone was suggesting that that was the shape of all Dr. Pepper bottles then. ;o)

VeraBlue said:

Trust me, you don't want to know. One of my hobbies is using a metal detector, and I have one that's completely waterproof. You name, I've found it, on the lake bottom, IN SWIMMING AREAS. I refuse to go into the water barefoot. You should see the piece of cardboard I have that I've glued all sorts of sharp, jagged, objects to.

Years ago, people would toss many trash items out into a lake, like bottles, cans, etc. I've even heard of some bottle hunters that are certified divers going into lakes, near old docks, looking for old bottles.

If they've been on the lake bottom, they might not have been exposed to enough sunlight to turn them purple.

Something to look for with old bottles, is the seam where the halves of the mold would have met. If you can't find one, this the bottle was blown, probably by hand. Look for a "pontil", a crimp-like marking where the glass was attached to the wand that the artist blew into.

Cool, Allen, very cool!

I'm not a fan of lake swimming. I love the ocean, but I have trouble with lakes because the water is confined. I get creeped out knowing there are living things in a confined space with me:ohmy:. Knowing about your cardboard doesn't help, either.

We have power lakes here that were formed in the 60's. It is unlikely that a bottle older than that would be at the bottom of the lake. Just as my clue about whether it is turning purple due to manganese content of glass prior to about 1923.
There are just a lot of man-made lakes in this country.

I guess I am just used to the lakes around here being much much older than that for the most part.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom