"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2020, 08:11 AM   #1
Senior Cook

How to actually unclog kitchen sink??

First of all, I am not always a careful person, but most of the time I filter
large uneaten food first before draining. However, now my kitchen sink
is still badly clogged.

I have just tried to unclog it with baking soda and white vinegar, together with hot boiling water and I
followed the steps exactly suggested on the youtube or other sites but it just didn't work. Yes there was some chemical reaction which sounded good but at the end of the day, it
just did not work...

I am so frustrated. Is it uninstalling the pipes and cleaning out the stuck rubbish the only real way to unclog the kitchen sink? I have no experience
on this and I only want to take this measure in the last minute...

Any advice????

kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:16 AM   #2
Executive Chef

We, monthly, use a commercial drain cleaner in kitchen and bathroom sinks.

Ross
Old 08-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Your vinegar and hot water are good for monthly maintenance but when it is badly clogged - in my experience - only a really good commercial product will do.

Most bottles recommend using half the bottle for really bad drains, wait some time, pour hot water. I'm cheap, I use 1/4 to 1/3 and hope it works. If not, I bite the bullet and use more.

I try to remember monthly maintenance but ....

good luck.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I've never had to use a drain cleaner in a kitchen sink.

As we are both blessed with ample hair in one form or another, Drano periodically is a must for the bathroom drains.

Drano has worked well for us and works through standing water.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #5
Master Chef

None of which is going to fix the poster's current problem, but it great advice to prevent future problems. The Draino commercial used to say "Once in every week, Draino in every drain."

First try a plunger. Get a really good one, not a cheap flimsy one, and work it as hard as you can: Pump, pump, YANK! pump, pump, YANK! Rinse and repeat.

If that doesn't work, try a drain snake. You can borrow one from a neighbor or buy one at the home improvement or hardware store.

If that still doesn't work, drag you garden hose into the kitchen, stick it into the drain as far as it will go, pack it with rags to prevent blow back, and let 'er rip full blast! I've used this method hundreds of times for everything from kitchen sinks to basement storm drains and it has actually cleaned the plumbing all the way to the street!
Old 08-28-2020, 05:55 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
None of which is going to fix the poster's current problem, but it great advice to prevent future problems. The Draino commercial used to say "Once in every week, Draino in every drain."

First try a plunger. Get a really good one, not a cheap flimsy one, and work it as hard as you can: Pump, pump, YANK! pump, pump, YANK! Rinse and repeat.

If that doesn't work, try a drain snake. You can borrow one from a neighbor or buy one at the home improvement or hardware store.

If that still doesn't work, drag you garden hose into the kitchen, stick it into the drain as far as it will go, pack it with rags to prevent blow back, and let 'er rip full blast! I've used this method hundreds of times for everything from kitchen sinks to basement storm drains and it has actually cleaned the plumbing all the way to the street!

How to know if a plunger is a really good one rather than a cheap flimsy one?? I really like my plunger on my toilet but it doesn't work on the sink
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:31 AM   #7
Executive Chef

the rubber on the plunger has to be flexible without being wimpy. You must be able to create a seal so that the air/water you are forcing down does not leak out around the edges.

Are you draining into a septic tank or are you part of a city sewage system?

It is possible the slowness is not in your immediate pipe but further along outside the house/apartment?
Old 08-28-2020, 08:19 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Run a thin snake
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:42 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
How to know if a plunger is a really good one rather than a cheap flimsy one?? I really like my plunger on my toilet but it doesn't work on the sink

Cheap plunger

Really good plunger

If you have a double sink you will need to block off the drain on one side or you won't be able to plunge properly.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:51 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Open cabinet door and see under the sink.
See P-Trap on drain piece. Looks more like an "S" to me.
Remove P-Trap.
Look into P-Trap and see whats clogging up the sink.
Clean out P-trap.
Replace P-Trap.
Run water to check for leak.

This is easy for most anyone. In most cases no tools are required. P-Traps are installed to keep some water in the drain to prevent sewer gases from coming up through the drain pipe. Unfortunately they also keep some things from going down as well.
Drain cleaning chemicals are not suited for bad clogs and only work if you use them before the clog happens.

Also if you do not understand my post or have reservations. Go to Youtube and use the search term "unclog P-Trap under sink.
Easy peasy and anyone can do it.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #11
Senior Cook

A shop vac works as well. Either after you disconnect the p trap, or before. Get a good seal and turn it on.

Short bursts are better once it starts pulling stuff out. No need to suck the poo goo out of the tank. Or the vapors from a sewer system.

Its amazing what will come out of a drain. As in grossly amazing to a 5 year old.
Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
how to, kitchen