How will you serve your community this season?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
There are many ways to help others in need. How will you serve your community this season? Any little bit helps and I'm curious to hear your contribution plans.We are donating canned goods to church and helping serve their Thanksgiving meal. For Christmas, we are donating lots of toys and leftover sweaters and jackets to Goodwill and Salvation Army.Happy Holidays!

We just got an email from the owner of my daughters pre-school that one of the kids there lost their house in a fire yesterday. they lost everything they owned except for the cloths on their backs. My wife and I are donating gift cards so they can buy food, but we are also going through our house and gathering up any clothing and toys and anything else we can think of to give them to help get them through.

I am not sure what else we will be doing yet.

:) Oh! and i also donate money to places like:

Our local youth crisis facilty
Boys Home of Omaha
Sesame Street
Humaine Society of America
Childhood Cancer
Paralized Veterans of America
Indian School

Well, I am cooking as always. Every weekend we feed between 20 and 50 people. I usually cook all the major stuff, leaving salads and side dishes to helpers. This season is not different.

We'll be giving to a few local food drives...and I give a donation to a charity in my dads and stepmom's name every year as their gift. Not sure where it will be sent this year.

Our new church had a contest with the kids club to come up with canned goods. If they could get enough to weigh more than the leader (175lbs), they got an ice cream party. My sons group was at 29lbs so we brought in 11 flats of canned veggies, fruit cocktail, canned sweet potatoes, etc to help them catch up. They ended up with 209lbs, LOL. My daughters group we brought in another 3 flats so they finished above 175lbs.
So, the church has met its goal of canned goods for their Thanksgiving baskets but are behind on stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce. The wife and I have spent the week buy stuff from ALDI to help out. Each day we buy a flat of each and bring it to the church.
We also give toys, clothes, etc to local charities like the Catholic Charities, Goodwill, and Salvation Army.

When Christmas shopping, we always make a point to buy a toy, or toys, and toss them into the collection boxes at Wal-Mart, etc. Toys for tots is also a favorite. And I'm a sucker for the Salvation army bell-ringers. If they are willing to volunteer their time, and considering most people avoid them like the plague, it seems the least I can do is toss a couple of bucks their way when I see them.

This is the time of year that I am reminded of how good I have it and how fortunate I've been :)

Back
Top Bottom