Hummingbird feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I want to share with you, something I just recently found out.
A guy that my dh knows, who works with birds, I don't remember what he is called, told us to change our feeder out with clear food. He said that adding the red coloring actually makes the birds sick. The color is only used to attract. If you get a feeder, it should have red coloring somewhere on the feeder and that is enough to attract them.
He said to boil 4 parts water with one part sugar { starting with 1 cup water and add 1/4 cupsugar} let it cool and refill the feeder. This needs to be changed weekly as the sugarwater will sour in the sun. We did this after only having 2-3 hummers come around. Now we have numerous hummers feeding off of the feeders. They are such beautiful and graceful looking birds.

I love my hummers too, Texas! Actually, here's what I've done: I do add coloring to the feeder, but then once the birds know where the feeder is, no coloring is necessary. I actually give them a much stronger dose of the good stuff - I give them a 2:1 ratio of water and sugar. Here's the easiest way I've found:
I put 2 cups of water and 2 cups of granulated sugar in a microwaveable clear glass bowl (I like the big one from pampered chef, since it has measurements in the glass). Then, I microwave till it's boiled. You know you've cooked it enough, when, after stirring, you've got a perfectly clear mixture. Then, I add enough ice cubes to make the measurement 2 cups more. By the time I've stirred the ice into the hot water, the hummer food is ready to go into the feeders.
Very often, I'll make about 16 cups at a time, and keep the mix in the fridge. It's very handy when you have little birds asking where their breakfast is!
This year I've only got about 15-20 hummies, but last year, I had 4 feeders up and always had close to 40. I love to see the color differences! My favorites are the super-tiny ones that are really a pretty copper color.

Here's one of my little hummies
img_161910_0_bd3d7645f48e014cd932d5d87784bc96.jpg

Oh how sweet!!
I'm getting a new digital for Christmas that will have more zoom on it. The one I have doesn't do very well. I'll have to research and find what I'm looking for. Do you use a digital?

Yes - this camera is a Kodak 10x zoom with 5.0 megapixels. It's called "EasyShare Z740" and it's the easiest camera I've ever used. The program that comes with it is also super easy. And, you can even take little videos with it.

(You should see how close I got to the Statue of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower when I was in Vegas!)

PM me if you need any more info :)

Oh how beautiful!! You just made my day. My sis and I love hummers. we always share things about them..like when we see one, pictures, ceramic birds etc. Thank you for shareing. That picture is worth printing.

I would like to have a digital like yours..IF it is easy to use. convince me and maybe I'll talk to Santa...
Marge

I thought everyone knew about the food dye attracting the birds, but being bad for them. Better to have a red-colored feeder. But every year I buy fuscia-colored wave petunias for my porch hooks, and the hummingbirds just love them. In late summer, when they're looking a little worn and tired (about a week ago), I give them a crew cut. Already they are sprouting gorgeous blossoms that are bringing in a new group of hummingbirds. All my feeders did was attract ants (because they've all leaked). The petunias really, really work well, and are beautiful to boot. Probably won't work in some climates, but I buy two or three gorgeous hanging plants in the late spring, then give them a hair cut in August, and they last past the first freezes, and the hummingbirds love them.

We haven't used coloring in our mixture for years. We have lots of hummingbirds here except in the extreme heat. They come back when the weather cools down. I love to watch their little dogfights. They are so territorial and especially if a different species tries to get to "their" feeder. The picture is wonderful.

We have several families of hummers here, one set has a dark green chest the other is bright red they go after each other over who gets the feeder in the morning, all the clicking and chattering, I just love them...We have a large bottle brush tree in our yard that the hummers just love, that is usually their first stop then the feeder...I don't color my sugar water, but I do change it every saturday...I don't use a lot of sugar and the birds flock to the feeder more often...My father told me that hummers hibernate at night so will feed just about sunset to hold them til morning..Has anyone ever seen one of the hummer nests? They are so tiny..They are my favorite things after my doxie, and several days ago, the green one who seems to be the boss, came up to the hose I was using to water my hanging baskets, he clicked at me then went to drinking, all the while his little wings moving so fast they were a blur...The birds always did that with my dad and I was amazed at how brave they are..But, the day this happened to me, it was as if my dad was there beside me and the bird knew it.Kind of made my day:)
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom