Hurricane Dolly + DC Members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simplicity

Sous Chef
My prayers go out to you and your loved ones during this stressful time. Stay safe.

A note - One member, Dina, lives in Mission TX, an area that might be quite vulnerable. I don't know if there are others or not.

Thank you dear. We are a bit nervous but hopeful that all will be okay down here in south Texas. DH and I are going to put all of our patio furniture and hanging planters in just as soon as he gets home from picking up sandbags. We've seen people placing masking take on the windows but I always thought it should be placed in the inside of the windows in case they shatter, the glass doesn't fall in the house. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I will keep everyone posted on what happens with this hurricane.

Will be praying all goes well for you and your famly and all those in Texas..Stay safe

kadesma

Take care Dina!! My prayers for a safe time for you and your families!!
I remember being down at Rockport/Fulton and seeing the hurricane evacuation signs. Kinda made things real for me, don't know why. It was a strange feeling.
I'm in North Central, so, we MIGHT get a few drops or some wind from it, that's it.

Dina, I looked you up on a map, and wow - you are almost in Mexico! Sure do hope you guys are safe and sound there. Looks like you are in for some weather, though. Al Roker says you are needing some rain - hope you don't get WAY too much! Buena suerte, amiga.

Dina, I looked you up on a map, and wow - you are almost in Mexico! Sure do hope you guys are safe and sound there. Looks like you are in for some weather, though. Al Roker says you are needing some rain - hope you don't get WAY too much! Buena suerte, amiga.

What about you? How far are you going to be from it?

Thanks for asking, Stacy...we are way the other side of Mexico, on the Pacific side, near Puerto Vallarta. We get occasional tropical storms here, but only one hurricane in the last 50 years, Our Bay of Banderas protects us from the weather.

Dina, I hope all is well for you there. It's so weird - most of Texas has mixed feelings about this. It's hard not to be excited about some real rain coming our way. We're in a terrible drought. But a hurricane isn't what I had in mind. I have a place in Aransas Pass but it looks like it's on the edge of the projected path so I'm not too freaked out yet. Still, my next door neighbor down there is coming up here to San Antonio to stay with me til it's over. She wants to avoid the possibility of being without power for a day or so, if tornados spin off. We actually had a tornado hit our street down there a few months ago. It did nothing to our houses but 3 houses down, it uprooted a few huge trees and threw them in the road and on a car. So you have to be ready for anything.

Dina, I am always in a quandary about the tape thing, too, so I usually just tape both sides!

Thanks ladies. DH hasn't made it home yet. Geesh! I ended up putting everything in from our backyard ~ took me a couple of hours and a real sweat. Ick! It's all done now except for tighing our patio tables and chairs to the porch pillars. argh... We might just bring them inside if worse comes to worst. I should go fill up the SUV in case we need to leave town.

Thanks for asking, Stacy...we are way the other side of Mexico, on the Pacific side, near Puerto Vallarta. We get occasional tropical storms here, but only one hurricane in the last 50 years, Our Bay of Banderas protects us from the weather.
I had to look you up on the map, Karen. I'm so glad you're safe and protected because when storms hit Mexico, the relief services sometimes aren't fully equipped to deal with it. BTW, I'm enchanted with the name "Bay of Banderas"! It just sounds magical!

Glad you are safe FM I thought of you this morning.
Dina be safe!

That is so cool that you live near Puerto Vallarta Karen. I'd love to visit there one day.

Thanks Suzi. No rain or wind here yet. We are as prepared as can be.

Always better safe than sorry! Where is the storm right now Dina?

A little under a month ago we had our tornado sirens blaring for over two hrs until about 1am. I brought my sleeping daughter downstairs just in case and had flash lights all around me with my cell phone.(remember I just moved here from Cali, I had no idea what to do!) All we ended up getting was non stop lightning and thunder....lots of it!

Praying for your safety...
I had to laugh at my husband Paul when we were in Jacksonville N.C. (Camp Lejeune) One of the first things in brought into our small home (Base Housing) was his 12' wooden boat. His excuse was " then we can fill it up with food ( C- Rations ) and water" We couldn't have floated out the door if we tried. We always had Hurricanes come up the N.C. coast.

From what I can see on the weather.com page, Dolly must be over Dina's home just about now, and I would be surprised if she has electricity. Very scary.

Fisher's Mom said:
'm enchanted with the name "Bay of Banderas"! It just sounds magical!

"Bahia de Banderas" means "Bay of Flags" and it is one of the largest bays in the world. Full of manta rays, dolphins, turtles and in winter, whales . No sharks - apparently, the dolphins keep them away. It is a magical place indeed, and we feel very lucky to live here.

Karen,
We're still pretty safe here. The hurricane has turned into a category 2 now and has hit South Padre Island. We're 75 miles west of it. I will keep you all posted through my laptop as I will have to shut down my desktop soon.

Back
Top Bottom