Hydroponics - which one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm interested in learning about this, especially if it is a system with a small footprint.

I have been looking at grow light stuff at Lee Valley Tools. I assume I would need some grow lights to go with hydroponics.

Eagerly awaiting replies by some of our members who are familiar with this stuff.

I was also looking at some grow lights on line but am checking out $$tore first. Bought a grow bulb there a couple of years ago and it worked just fine.

taxy, double check Lee against other sources. I often buy stuff from them but they are not always the cheapest.

I bought this lettuce last week and it is still beautiful. That is 3 small plants in what looks like a 'plug' of some sort.
I don't go thru enuf lettuce to buy big expensive ones to just throw out the waste.I've just left it in the bag and break off as I need. Still fresh! 20220328_134231.jpg20220328_134312.jpg

I was also looking at some grow lights on line but am checking out $$tore first. Bought a grow bulb there a couple of years ago and it worked just fine.

taxy, double check Lee against other sources. I often buy stuff from them but they are not always the cheapest.

Oh, I know they might not be the cheapest, but they are Canadian and fairly local, so if the difference isn't high, I would rather support them than Amazon.

I have a number of hydroponic gardens. Some smaller, and some larger. All of mine are AeroGarden units: https://www.aerogarden.com/ -- no affiliation, just a happy customer.

Most of them, I purchased new from the manufacturer. Although I do keep my eye on CraigsList and OfferUp and have found some real steals that way too.

For me, I like the convenience of the units. I like their guarantees too. Mostly, I buy my own seeds (+ sponges, pods, etc). Right now, I have two flower gardens going in my kitchen. I love flowers in the kitchen! I have one herb garden still growing, although I just ended a lot of them. Life is a bit of a distraction right now. I also ended 2 huge Jalapeno plants, but I have two small Pot-O-Penos beginning to give fruit. I have 2 Golden Harvest Cherry tomato plants going. They are a less acidic kind of tomato that DH can handle. I just ended my lettuce garden too, but I have 4 huge bags of lettuce in the fridge. I plan to start a new lettuce garden soon (takes 3-4 weeks to start producing a good deal of lettuce for me.) And I'll plant a new selection of herbs too. Nothing like having all the fresh herbs just a few steps from the kitchen.

So, it depends upon what you want to grow and how much work you are willing to put into it. From many friends, I know that the DIY/homemade gardens don't save any money and can be tricky to get set up and going.

If anyone wants to know more about the gardens I have, just ask.

Tomatoes
IMG_6309.jpg
Pot-o-Peno
IMG_6285.jpg
Herbs
IMG_6184.jpg
Lettuce
IMG_6169 (2).jpg

I'm curious what you feed hydroponic grown plants.

If you are asking me...I like to use a Ph buffered liquid plant food. There are quite a few options for hydroponics. Each with their own pros & cons. I like to keep it simple and easy.

That said, I do add other things, like Cal Mag for peppers and tomatoes. I add a Bloom food for those that need that extra stuff. And, I add a hydro guard product too.

There are other, much more involved products. Products for life stage, etc. But, I'm just doing this for fun and ease of produce for my table, so I use the easy ones. Aerogarden makes one, but so do others. Aerogarden sends a bottle with their seed kits, so I use that when I get seed kits from them.

Back
Top Bottom