I am eating durian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qmax

Sous Chef
Found some at the local Asian market and decided I had to try.

I am eating some as I type this.

I am astounded. Not sure why this fruit has the reputation it does.

It is creamy, almost pudding like in texture, mild in flavor, slightly fruity, slightly onion flavor.

Not unpleasant in the least.

Anyone else tried it?

I have always wanted to try. Did you get fresh or frozen?

This was the hulled lobes, frozen. Came in a package of 2 lobes. I have just about eaten both of them. They are somewhat rich, though.

I bought it yesterday and let it thaw in the fridge. I am eating it at refrigerator temperature. Maybe it gets funkier at room temp.

I've never tried it, but would probably give it a whirl. Anthony Bourdain likens it to a rich ripe "stinky" French cheese.

Isn't it the bloom that stinks?

There is a plant in indonesia that has the largest flower " the corpse flower" that stinks like a , you guessed it, corpse. Maybe thats what you were thinking about. But the durian itslef, smells. I remember i tried a durian candy once, and it kinda tasted like natural gas, if thats possible.

Titan arum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the Bizarre Eats show Andrew Zimmerman could not eat it.

He said it was like Rotten mushy Onions.

When I was in Thailand there were this large red triangular signs at the front of the hotels with a Durian, a circle around the durian, and a line crossed through it: No Durians Allowed.

There are lots of different types of durian and it sounds like you got a mild version. I've had both -- and both are good; -- but when it smells, it really gives you reason to pause before you put it in your mouth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom