I am SO excited!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ham Hock

Cook
The farmer just left from de house and he cut me a garden GOOD about 50 feet wide and 150 foot long. I got enough rows to feed da neighborhood!

I love lettin folks come pick fresh veggies almost as much as I like feedin them. Folks who dont garden are just wide eyed when they see them big ole maters just as red as can be still on the vine!
(sumtimes I thunk they just thunk they growed in the back of the grocery store on a rack!)

And most aint never seen a three foot long zucinni! hehehehe
(hey dont knock'em until you cut them up in a stew)

I got a PILE of different peppers and folks always love that too.

And I got giant pumpkins that Im gonna plant off to the side. Dey got great WOW appeal about september hehehehehe.

Not to mention how great home grown veggies taste compared to sto bought.

I IS IN UP TO MY ELBOWS!!!!!!!!!!!! :-p

Wow Ham!
That's so great to have a plot that size (and also someone to turn it over for you!) I cleaned up and turned over my small plots this past weekend. One for veggies 12' x 3' and one for herbs 6' x 3'. I just can't wait for the fresh vine ripe tomatoe, basil and mozzerella salad!

I have grown some big gardens before but not lately. The pic below does not do justice to this one. This is only the top end of it, a pic I took early on before the rest of it came to bare. I had 65 tomatoe plants among other things. carrots, taters, peanuts, just about anything I could put my hands on to plant. It was about 1.5 acres. People stopped on the hiway and asked if they could just walk through it. I gave them a paper bag and said have at it!

It gave me a good reason to call my friends and say "get over here and get some of this stuff NOW!!"

It was a lot of work but I enjoyed it tremendously.

It was so big that I planted it in cycles so the whole thing didnt bare at one time. I had some 200 pound pumpkins in this one that ended being exhibited at a habitat expo locally.

The Miss Delta is God's country for dirt. You just cut it up and plant it and pretty much forget it.
6452.jpg

Last edited:
HH..This looks like the gardens my DH's family always planted. His sister grew 15 pound cabbages. He offered one to a neighbor and he laughed and said " I'm still eating off of the one you gave me two weeks ago" They live in North Carolina and always grew their food but age has caught up with then the last few years and they just can't do it any more. DH is the baby of 8 children and he is 75.

I firmly believe that gardening is something that needs to come back into this society. It has so many benifits. It also beats the heck out of cutting the grass that would otherwise be on that dirt.

I have seen it in action - a garden builds community, because you can GIVE and dont have to measure your bank account to do it. In fact you have it in abundance.
Even kids are fascinated by a garden - at least compared to yard grass and ornamental bushes that take up our properties these days. There are those in many cultures who say that a garden will give you a more accurate understanding of time in it's essence.
And it also gives you an avenue to exercise that pays out a lot further than a stupid gym. Your effort pays out in more ways than one.

And if you can do something with what you grew in the garden in your kitchen, you have a winner.

It's just another example of how food is such a great part of our lives.

Even JohnL's 12 by 3 lot will thrill you with what it can do.

Cant find something fresh? Well, whose falut is THAT........

Last edited:
Wow Hammy, I am sooooo jealous!! I have never been blessed with any green thumb, but we saw so many home gardens while we were in Italian Alps last summer. A nice neighbour of the house we were staying in gave us tomatoes, zucchini, green onions and some salad greens and you are right, the store bought vegs just don't compare with those home grown fresh crop. One day if we manage to move into a independent house with garden, this will be definetely one of our outdoor projects!!

Last edited:
when it can go from the garden to the table in minutes not weeks, the flavor is incredible! I get my summer tomatoes and spring asparagus that way. Sometimes I get sprouts that way in the fall. Often get salad items and some cabbage right from the field.

happy planting!

Back
Top Bottom