I caved!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I was minding my own business after comming home from an emergency call into work. My wife asked me to make her a grilled cheese sandwich, with Velveeta. I said ok. I made the sandwich for her and it was done perfectly, golden-brown on both sides, with a light amount of cheese melted in between the grilled bread slices.

Now the last thing I wanted to do on a Friday night was to stuff my own face with something as yummy and unhealthy as a grilled cheese sandwich. But I took one look at that beauty that sat before me as I took it to my wife, and I caved. Guess what I'm eating right now. Only mine has pleeeenty of melted cheese oozing from between the grilled bread slices.:mrgreen:

I really don't need these extra calories, even if they are on whole wheat bread.:ROFLMAO: I'm feeling a bit like a :pig: right now. But I'm a happy one.:ROFLMAO:

Oh how can I be so weak?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

You're not weak because of giving into a food wish, you're weak because you are still in love with your wife...and there's nothing wrong with that. As a matter of fact, there's everything RIGHT about that. Have another Velveeta grilled cheese on Buck and me. We're right behind you.

You're not weak because of giving into a food wish, you're weak because you are still in love with your wife...and there's nothing wrong with that. As a matter of fact, there's everything RIGHT about that. Have another Velveeta grilled cheese on Buck and me. We're right behind you.

Loving my wife has nothing to do with this. I made the sandwich for her because I absolutely love her. And yes, that's a very good thing.

I made the sandwich for me because I love a good grilled cheese sandwich. And if I hadn't aready had supper, and wasn't really hungry... Well, you get the idea.
You really aren't helping my waistline any.:dry: You know that don't you?:ROFLMAO: But thanks for the kind words. You lift my spirit, and that's a good thing.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
Oh how can I be so weak?
oh you're not weak, you're just similar TO THE ENTIRE REST OF US.

I, like you, too, caved this week.
Well, I told my husband I was hungry.
He got up off the couch and asked what I wanted.
I said, "just a grilled cheese sandwich, honey."
He brought me his version of a masterpiece.
He opted for sliced ham inside and thin little slices of onion, just how he likes his, only sans meat, add tomatoes.
I took a bite, and realized he's sneaked extra stuff in there but not wanting to delete his pride and manliness, I took a bite with pure pride.
It was wonderful. Ooey, gooey, yummy, melting molten yellow stuff. Oh, and mine was on 6 fiber a slice bread so I figured it really doesn't count, right?

Glad you enjoyed yours GWOFN;)

oh you're not weak, you're just similar TO THE ENTIRE REST OF US.

I, like you, too, caved this week.
Well, I told my husband I was hungry.
He got up off the couch and asked what I wanted.
I said, "just a grilled cheese sandwich, honey."
He brought me his version of a masterpiece.
He opted for sliced ham inside and thin little slices of onion, just how he likes his, only sans meat, add tomatoes.
I took a bite, and realized he's sneaked extra stuff in there but not wanting to delete his pride and manliness, I took a bite with pure pride.
It was wonderful. Ooey, gooey, yummy, melting molten yellow stuff. Oh, and mine was on 6 fiber a slice bread so I figured it really doesn't count, right?

Glad you enjoyed yours GWOFN;)

I guess it's what happens when you are passionate abut enjoying life.:)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Darn it, I have been repressing an urge for Velveeta.

A toasted sandwich with Velveeta, maybe with bacon and tomato slices, on a cold Sunday night - golly that is comfort food.

Being the muddler I am, I would probably add a tad of Worchestershire sauce and maybe a slice of red onion.

Have had it.

I like Velveeta, and I am proud.

You really aren't helping my waistline any.:dry:

Could be worse, Goodweed. I have to work aound good, tasty, and decidedly "unhealthy" foods 5 days a week. Sauting in clarified butter, lots of cream sauces, etc.

Is it any wonder that the laundry service delivery driver says that he rarely gets requests for "smaller" uniforms?

I'm glad to see you caved to a simple pleasure like that.

You should see me caving to the simple pleasure of smoked venison.

Yumm, make mine with extra sharp cheddar!! With chile con carne - HEAVEN!! Hey it's not caving... you are eating healthy...dairy - high fiber - vegies - ... :>)

Good thing I have absolutely no Velvetta in the house right now!!!! You guys tempt me too much.

Great. Now that I have read this thread on the morning of my trip to the market I think a Velvetta purchase will be in my cart.

Wow! I better not start talking about things like shrimp or something. The stores will be having a run on it and the prices will go up.:LOL:

I'm glad to see I'm in such good company.

I don't think I've ever had Velveeta cheese. I've heard of it and seen it of course in the grocery store, but I've always used American cheese for my grilled cheese sandwiches. You guys have peaked my interest. I may have to pick some up next time I'm in town.

I will admit, because it's a healing thing:huh: to loving Velveeta. What is it exactly though? We know it isn't cheese, so what is it other than probably the main ingredient in Stouffer mac and cheese?

From the Kraft site:

VELVEETA - CHEESE - REGULAR

Ingredients: MILK, WATER, MILKFAT, WHEY, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, ALGINATE, SODIUM CITRATE, APOCAROTENAL (COLOR), ANNATTO (COLOR), ENZYMES, CHEESE CULTURE.
Size: 16 OZ

NOw this is a bit misleading as it doesn't say cheese anywhere. But it has to have at least 51% cheese in it. The milk is turned into cheese by adding the cheese culture.

Actually, if you look at this properly, the milk is made into cheese which is then combined with the whey (a by-product of the cheese making process), and other ingredients. Velveeta is an amalgamation of different cheeses, salt, milk, water, and the other ingredients, blended together to form a smooth mleting, and very creamy cheese product. Just for grins, I made some home-made cheese product by combining medium cheddar, swiss, or was it mozarella, and cottage cheese with milk and salt. The result was very close in both flavor and texture to velveeta. The ingredient list used to say what cheeses were used and I simply used the same. There are now weird chemicals in it. The milk protien is probably sodium caseinate, used in powdered coffee creamers and a host of ready-made diet shakes (Slim-Fast type drinks, or Carnation Instant Breadfast). Anatto coloring is a natural coloring derived from annato, a spice.

Sooooo, the only real downside to Velveeta is the fat content, as with all cheeses (except the cheeses where the fat was reduced or elliminated). American cheese is basically the same cheese, but with less salt and flavor (a different mixture of cheeses maybe).

I will admit, because it's a healing thing:huh: to loving Velveeta. What is it exactly though? We know it isn't cheese, so what is it other than probably the main ingredient in Stouffer mac and cheese?

Velveeta. The Spam of the cheese world. :LOL:

:)I love Velveeta grilled sandwiches.After reading all the post I cant get it out of my head and I happen to have some in the fridge.Its all you guy's fault;)

*oerks* velveta...
my teacher at my education told me what it is made of... now I very rarely eat it.. but it fits perfect for Toast Hawaii...
on a sandwich I prefer real cheese....
and I'm hungry now....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom