I guess I'm awful...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can see right away that you are much like me. I often forget that I don't have to kill myself and present the perfect meal during special occasions. Sometimes, it's not about making the perfect meal. In fact, sometimes, the perfect meal is as much for your own ego as it is for the people you love (not you personally).

Show your "son" how much you enjoy having him with you. Let him see the smile and effervecent joy that makes you figety with excitement just to have him back. Show him the forgiveness that is within your heart. These will mean so much more to him than the perfect home-made desert. There will be other times for making something grand. For this occasion, make it about building and healing relationships.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

P.S. your cookbook should arrive by Saturday.

You are all so kind. Seeing our boy like this, after all the times we saw him eaten up with meth and pills, truly is a Christmas miracle.
He's off the street now, staying with his married cousin, but because of all we went through with him, he had been afraid to come see us. My blessed daughter finally convinced him that we loved and missed him.

The meal tonight will be a rib-eye roast, stuffed with garlic cloves, peppered, and packed in rock salt, then baked until medium rare. We'll have au juice gravy (from a packet), mashed potatoes, fresh broccoli and dinner rolls (Pillsbury's frozen). Then, of course, the chocolate truffle cake for dessert.
This story reminds me so much of the Prodigal Son from the Bible. He, too, was ashamed to return home and ashamed of his behavior. But like you, his father was overjoyed and prepared a feast in his honor. Your menu sounds like such a feast, Connie.

Even though it hurt you to be estranged, perhaps his shame at seeing you means he truly understands how his choices have hurt everyone. Addictions are so tough but I would say that's a huge step toward staying clean permanently! Thanks so much for sharing his joyous homecoming with all of us. I know it made me smile!

This story reminds me so much of the Prodigal Son from the Bible. He, too, was ashamed to return home and ashamed of his behavior. But like you, his father was overjoyed and prepared a feast in his honor. Your menu sounds like such a feast, Connie.

That has always been one of my favorite stories. In fact, when I was a paid church soloist, one of my favorite solos was this scripture set to music.

By the way, the chocolate truffle cake was outstanding, and sinfully rich.

By the way, Kim's (our) daughter and family are coming down to do their Christmas with us tomorrow. My daughter and here family will be here, too.

Kim's daughter is bringing her cheese ball, and Kim is going to bake a bone-in ham (Emge). We have an assortment of breads and cheeses, and instead of a big meal, we're going to have ham sandwiches, plus various accoutrements. The big cheesecake I bought, with four varieties, all including chocolate will be our dessert. That reminds me...I need to get it out of the freezer!

I'm having Christmas dinner here, too...I know we'll have ham, some kind of potatoes, oyster dressing, green vegetable, rolls, and, hopefully, apple crisp.

Ooooh, sounds like some wonderful meals in store for ya'll. And the leftovers will be even better. (I adore oyster dressing but have never made it.) How wonderful to have your house full! Merry Christmas to you, Connie.

Back
Top Bottom