I have been putting this off.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bolas De Fraile

Executive Chef
My Mum is still very healthy at 96 yrs old, she asked me on Sunday to open a trunk full of her personal things to get a bundle of letters from my Dad to her when they were courting.I not keen to open the trunk because I new the contents would upset me. I found lots of old pics some made me smile. These two did, my kid brother and me and my Mums Staffordshire Bull Terrier called Puck. Have you any old pics of yourself?
img025.jpg

img031.jpg

What a handsome pair. Photos become so much more important when we pass a certain stage in life. It's not a particular age, but a realization of what is most important.

Thanks for sharing.

How great! What a handsome pair! I love old photographs, and because of that I wound up with all of them for two families, mine and my husband's. We decided not to have kids, so I took all of mine and sent them back to my family for my siblings to have for their kids. But there really isn't another generation to send my husband's to, which is sad. Yes, I have old pictures of myself, but honestly don't know how to scan and post any more! Maybe when computer guy comes by.

oooooooooooh, I'm in Claire's shoes. (long story...) I've 'become' the family custodian - pix from my great aunt, grandparents, parents, in-laws and our own. slides and photos and home movies. I've been scanning them - about 6,200 to-date and that's just slides and photo albums - haven't gotten to the shoe boxes, of which there is a scary quantity....

scanning them to digital is one effort - identifying people/places/dates and putting captions on them is another huge undertaking!

Attachments

• T_072s.jpg
    T_072s.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 160
I too have many old family photographs, and will soon be getting more:wacko:

can't stop at just one:)

my first grade school photo

a young version of my father

and my fathers' mother

Attachments

• 218 BZFirstGrade (2).jpg
    218 BZFirstGrade (2).jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 828 youngSuitedRWZ.jpg
    828 youngSuitedRWZ.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 217  abby (2).jpg
    217 abby (2).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 109
Neither my sister nor I have any kids. I'm trying to make my old photos available to cousins, etc. Almost all are in Europe, so it pretty much has to be via the web.

One of me at age three | Farmor (my dad's mum) on the left, well into her '80s | Farfar (dad's dad in Swedish, but actually just Farmor's husband, and a real granddad to me and my sister).

Bohrnerud%20Family%20Pictures%20-%20Lis%2C%20Linda%20and%20Anita%20Bohrnerud%20-%202.jpg
Bohrnerud%20Family%20Pictures%20-%20Anna%20Gustavson%2C%20Friend%2C%20and%20fish%20-%202.jpg
Bohrnerud%20Family%20Pictures%20-%20Maybe%20Gustav%20Gustavson.jpg

Thank you for contributing some great pics and for the kind comments
Tax that's a good sized Pike and Sabre.
My Mum's dad is on the horse I never met him but I was told that I share a lot of his attributes. Here are some more I scanned.
padeswood 048.jpg

img033.jpg

padeswood 085.jpg

padeswood 049.jpg

img042.jpg

Thank you for contributing some great pics and for the kind comments
Tax that's a good sized Pike and Sabre.
My Mum's dad is on the horse I never met him but I was told that I share a lot of his attributes. Here are some more I scanned.
View attachment 10978

View attachment 10979

View attachment 10980

View attachment 10981

View attachment 10982

I seem to have a number of photos that look a lot like that second one - similar clothes and hairdos.

I think our parents got dressed up a lot more often than we do.

I think our parents got dressed up a lot more often than we do.

Oh I know they did. I'm in my early 50s and remember my Dad getting a new suit every year (and he did NOT work in an office and we weren't rich, just comfortable) up until I was into my teens when things started getting a little more casual in the 70s. If you went to somebody's house to visit, you got dressed up, shopping - you got dressed up. Jeans were for the farm fields or construction workers at work.

Oh I know they did. I'm in my early 50s and remember my Dad getting a new suit every year (and he did NOT work in an office and we weren't rich, just comfortable) up until I was into my teens when things started getting a little more casual in the 70s. If you went to somebody's house to visit, you got dressed up, shopping - you got dressed up. Jeans were for the farm fields or construction workers at work.

Jeans were also for camping :)

Most of those times you mention, they wouldn't even have considered that getting dressed up. When they went out, they really got dressed up. We weren't rich, but my dad had his own tux!

I had to laugh at the comments about dress standards when we were young vs nowadays! I grew up on military installations and women were not allowed in the Commissaries or Exchanges in pants of any kind (slacks, pedal pushers, shorts or jeans), or curlers (remember, before common use of electrical hair care appliances!). mom had to dress in a dress or skirt and hose, do her hair and makeup ... to go buy groceries. By the time I was in high school it was all different. I spent my entire military career in North Dakota, and rather doubt they were a stringent as other places when it was 30 below.

I grew up not too many miles from where I live now. Perhaps 40, one way or the other, the way the crow flies. Our area was very rural and most of the families farmed. Corn, soy beans, cattle, hogs, tobacco, wheat.... And so it goes.

Having said that, our schools were simple, but pretty good. Good enough that I was able to be accepted at George Washington University in Washington, DC.

As a simple country girl, I worked my butt off to make the grade at GWU. I was out of my element, in that I was in the "big" city and had to deal with that. I guess I did okay, as I made it. But, my daddy was a country boy and was the first in his family to graduate college and told me to do my best. I did and made by. I still have no idea how I did it.

At any rate, here's the "green" girl who left home to go to the BIG city:

Attachments

• Katie - April 1968.jpg
    Katie - April 1968.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 147
Tax the photo with the lady holding the Pike (fish) intrigues me.Years ago my Dad showed me some pics of his family in Poland that they sent to the UK before the Holocaust. I asked him why one lady was photographed holding a fish, he told me they could not write much and that the fish meant whilst they had fish they would not go hungry.
I have scanned a load more, the one of my Mum as a teen looks very trendy.img026.jpg

img035.jpg

img037.jpg

img040.jpg

img039.jpg

My farmor was holding that fish because she caught it. She was on vacation. She lived in the city.

At some point after my farfar retired, they decided they were too old to go camping and canoeing any more, so they sold their canoe. They had to rent one the next summer, because they couldn't stay away.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom