I have been scarce lately...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MexicoKaren

Head Chef
I miss you all, but my laptop's hard drive died last week and it is in the hospital getting fixed. They had to send all the way to Guadalajara for parts, so this is taking awhile. I can sneak some time on DH's computer, but it is not the same as having access to my own...later in the week, I should be back full time. Happy St. Paddy's day, everyone! Oh, and guess what? Mexicans also celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Here's why:

This is a part of U.S. history that doesn't get much coverage in the average American classroom. It was the focus of a Tom Berenger film called "One Man's Hero".

The San Patricios were an army battalion in the Mexican Army during the Mexican-American war of 1846-48. The Irish potato famine of 1845 prompted hundreds of Irish immigrants to join the U.S. Army as a path to citizenship. The U.S. shipped many of these young Irish soldiers West to be field soldiers and defend "U.S. soil" after the annexation of Texas. Many of these Irish soldiers would face their Mexican "enemies" all week long. On Sunday, however, they would put down their guns and cross the border into Mexico to go to church and play soccer with their fellow Catholics, the very same Mexicans with whom they were at war.

Eventually, many of the Irish deserted and joined forces with Mexico. Those who did so before the war broke out were considered deserters. Those who fought for Mexico after the war broke out were defectors. When the war ended, each San Patricio was arrested and given a court martial trial. The deserters were branded on their faces with a "D." The defectors were hung in what some say is the largest mass execution in U.S. military history. To honor these brave men, whom Mexico calls heroes and the U.S. calls traitors, there are two celebrations held in parts of Mexico: Sept. 12, the anniversary of their execution, and March 17, St. Patrick's Day.

Thanks for letting us know Karen - hope you are fully operational again soon!
And Happy St Pats Day - I would gladly celebrate it if I were in Mexico too!

Glad you are ok..thanks for letting us know.Looking forward to having you back full time.
kades

Back
Top Bottom