I just lost my little doggie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Claire... so sorry about your Keiki. I haven't been around here in a looong while, and your post totally called out to me - the first thing I really "saw" on the discussion list...

They really know how to work their way into our hearts, don't they? You have my sympathy... love and light, Sara (pot clanger)

Because we had to put my little Keiki down just before we left for a trip, I haven't responded to this line in awhile. I have a friend who is having a hard time making that decisiion. Perhaps I'm cold; both times I had to make it, there was no indecision. I wish that some one would be so kind to me. Because we had to leave right after we put Keiki down, I am now getting condolences, many of them. She only lived for 16 years, but I must have received 20 condolence messages, and that isn't counting those of you who have done so on this site. I spent a couple of weeks being very grateful for the fact that my mother is still alive, after much awful horrid cancer treatments. I've gone through terrible guilt about it. But my entire family rallied round about the loss of my little doggie.

The house seems empty when we come in after ... well, anything.

I didn't mean to insinuate that cats are less lovable than dogs; but they are less dependent. I wouldn't think twice about leaving a cat alone overnight with her (clean) box and food, and, in fact, I don't think my kitties even missed me. My cats were perfectly happy with a visit from friends a few times a day. My dogs, on the other hand, needed to have people around all the time. AND it had to be people they knew. Yeah, they were spoiled rotten.

The other day a few friends asked me if we held Keiki in her last hours. Of course we did. One friend asked me how I did it. Huh? When you take a pet it is an agreement between you, the animal, and, dare I say it, God. You are taking on a lifetime of the animal, and yes, that means standing there to the very end. So both she and her mother went to meet their maker with their heads on my hand, and both of us petting her. My husband actually grew up pet-less, so these two deaths really hit him hard. But, I will say that he agreed with me when it came to be the time. Our vet asked if we wanted "heroic efforts" to keep her alive. Ijust responded that I didn't want heroic efforts to keep ME alive when the time comes, we just want it as pleasant as it can possibly be.

My friends also want to know how I knew it was time. Maybe it is just my little Jack Russell mutts, but there was no doubt. At all. White Fang was given a few months to live, but lived for 18 months after that, a happy life. When she was going, there was no doubt at all. My husband had a hard time with it at first, he's never had to "play god", and she was his very first pet. But when it was obvious that she only had days of true pain and misery ahead of her, he agreed with me. So when her daughter, Keiki, was ready to meet her Mommie, husband knew it immediately, and we touched and petted her to the very end.

I have several friends who have told me they couldn't do what we did. They can put their animals down, but they can't sit with them. I would never want my pets to die alone.

I have on occaision given my cats to others who wanted them and asked me for them (you have to realize that Hawaii is a different universe). So I've never had to put a cat down; I always had a home for the few kitties I've had the pleasure of sharing a home with.

Back
Top Bottom