I May Have Killed My Mac!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
The dreaded happened this morning. I bumped a nearly full mug of coffee and it spilled right onto my keyboard and mouse pad. I immediately turned it off. It's off to the Apple Store first thing.

Murderer.;)

Some keyboards are sealed. When I bought this probook laptop, I'm pretty sure one of it's selling points was that it was sealed. I haven't tested it, mind you.

My stainless steel thermal water glass that goes everywhere with me never gets near my keyboard. I KNOW that I'm a klutz, and given the chance it would end up dumped wherever it would do the most damage.

I hope there's no damage to your Mac, Andy.

The closest I came to any possible water damage was just last week - I had my laptop on the dining room table and accidently overwatered a plant that was on the table. I left the room for a few and came back to find some water had inched it's way under my laptop a bit. I panicked, shut it off, and put it on the floor over umpteen layers of paper towels. :ermm:

Did the Genius Bar guys fix it, Andy?

Or should we take up a collection for...

Standing%20Sprays%20-%20Weaths_200x200.jpg

You didn't think I was suggesting a new Mac, were you? ;)

The dreaded happened this morning. I bumped a nearly full mug of coffee and it spilled right onto my keyboard and mouse pad. I immediately turned it off. It's off to the Apple Store first thing.

You will be okay. I run my business on Macs, and I've done just about everything you can do to them. Dry the keyboard out overnight, and it will probably be fine.

CD

Is it a wireless bluetooth keyboard, or a USB wired keyboard? I may have something in my pile-o-Mac parts you can have, if your keyboard is ruined. I really don't think it is, but keep me posted. I do have a spare USB keyboard and mouse in the pile. Actually, I have a whole spare 24-inch iMac collecting dust. LOL

I was able to start it up and do a backup this morning but the cursor/mouse pad is not acting normally. I have a 10:45 appointment this morning.

The news isn't encouraging. Apple Store says my Mac is too old for them to look at it. I have to go to a non Apple repair shop. They have a list of approved vendors. I've used one before. Also said this type of repair is usually expensive in the $750 range and probably not worth it for such an old machine.

You know, most likely, you can get a mouse and plug it into your USB port or another port. Just buy it to fit whatever port you might have open. So while this is not optimum, it's a work around. Most computers are like that. Your screen goes, hook up another screen, your keyboard goes, hook up another one, your mouse goes, hook up another one.

Why don't you try the cell phone trick for water...

Cover it in rice and leave it over-night.... sucks out the moisture.

If you have a big enough supply of rice you could probably even bury the keyboard.

I am posting right now with my MacBook pro, with an Apple "Mighty Mouse" bluetooth mouse. I hate using track-pads. I don't know if your 8-year-old Mac will work with one, or not.

You are probably getting to a point where your Mac can't run the newest operating systems, and you definitely should't invest much money fixing it.

CD

I was able to update to El Capitan a while ago. Can't move up to Sierra. It's too old for that.

I'll call the repair facility Monday AM to get an estimate. I've been checking out new and refurbished MacBooks.

Have to post this...

Just watched a Youtube episode of Rowan (Mr.Bean) interviewing Elton John. It was pretty amusing... to the point where I spurted wine out onto the board of my laptop.

Anybody out there that can do long distance CPR? Think I just gave myself a heart attack, with this thread topmost on my mind!

:w00t::w00t::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2:

and this laptop is not even two months old!
Please, everyone, pray!

It's possible your Apple repair service can transfer info from your hard drive to a new computer, if you go that route. My local repair shop charges about $100 to do. Don't know if that's a good price, I like their other work they do.

Edit. Never mind. I didn't see you were able to do a back up. Give yourself a cigar and a hundred bucks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom