I need a little computer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
My desktop computer locked up today. I couldn't get it to do anything. I rebooted, and got an error message saying "No Operating System Found".

I'm thinking the HDD on the desktop has fried. Now, I'm a complete dummy when it comes to a systerm recovery, as I've never done that before. Do I press F8 while it's "tries" to boot up to get to the Safe Mode, or do I need to do something else? I don't have a Windows XP CD-ROM to boot with, as the O/S is supposedly on a secure partition of the HDD.

At least I was able to get all my data off that computer and onto my laptop. Of course, PeppA's and my MIL's geneological data will be lost if we can't recover it.

If the HDD is dead, I'd be looking at replacing the HDD and getting another copy of XP, but for that kind of money, I might as well buy a new tower. I know of one that's about twice as powerful as the desktop was for $325.

Allen, by any chance do you have a Sony VAIO? I know a couple of people who have/had those and both of them experienced the same problem you did with their hard drive crashing. The only other thing that I can think of is that somehow your hard drive got re-formatted, which in that case it's still fine, but you would need to re-install an OS.

I have to agree with Andy. This does not sound like something you can deal with yourself. I would take it to a reputable shop.

For curiosity's sake, what brand/make/model is your system? And did you buy it new or used? Any manufacturer that fails to provide a valid OEM backup CD and certificate is a company to be avoided like the plague IMO.

~ Raven ~

Sheesh, must have been something in the air (or power lines) this weekend!

Allen, definitely sounds like a HD issue - the PC seems to know a drive is there, but it doesn't believe it to be a bootable device. Do you have an XP disc? You should be able to boot into safe mode from the CD, and then look if there is anything on the C: drive.

My PC took a dump on me last night as well! The leading suspect? The Hard Drive.

It had been working fine, I shut it down - everything worked fine.
I went to boot it up later in the day, all the hardware checked out, and when it got to the part well it should have started Windows, it just stops. No error messages, nothing.

I've got a spare hard drive that has XP on it that I'm going to fire in there, and see what's happening. If it's the HD, I'm going to be ticked off. It was a Christmas present, and didn't even get installed till January! :mad:

John

you might try hard booting, power the system off and then back on. you could also try smacking the hard disk, take you hand and just bump it. I have a friend who says you can take the hard drive out of the system and put it in a freezer for a couple of minutes. I have never tried this but if your hard drive has mechnical problems you probably wouldn't hurt it anymore anyway, and again you might have just lost the operating system. if you can locate a recovery cd or a copy of the os make sure if you reinstall it you don't reformatt the drive.

later

if u wanna pm me your addy...i will gladly send you all the o/s cd's u could ever want.

It's a HP that I bought online about 5 years ago. It was a factory refurbished discounted pc. This is the first major problem I've had with it. The manual that came with it had a whole thing in it about why it didn't have a XP CD in it. I might have one in the box that my laptop came with. I'll have to look.

I was planning on taking it in to Best Buy and seeing what they can do. They've helped me before with computer problems.

I'm just thankful that I got the laptop when I did, and transferred files over.

I'm not a big fan of Best Buy for computer assistance. The couple times I tried I got taken to the cleaners.

Speaking of computer problems, the cooling fan for my tower hasn't worked for some time. Likely to lead to malfunction I guess, right? the fan for the cpu still works fine, but the tower gets fire hot back where the power source is.

I've never tried the Geek Squad, but I've heard nothing but good stuff from them. I've seen them based out of Best Buy, but I don't know if they "took over" Best Buy's computer work.

Geek Squad was an independent busienss purchased by Best Buy. I don't know how long ago that happened. My neighbor and I have both had positive experiences with a home service call.

You hard drive is fried. HDDs are made to last 2-4 years. Anything after that and you are living on borrowed time. Buy another hard drive. Get a 80 Gig for $60 bucks at www.newegg.com
Dont waste money on geek squad. You can install a hard drive very easily along with your operating system. Please try and do it yourself and save some money. R.I.P. you hard drive.
36.gif

And actually your computer is OLD. I would get a new cheapie. E-Machines (thats the brand) are the least expensive. ($400 or so) Just know that upgrading them is really not an option. But it doesnt look like you want a super machine. PM me if ya have any questions. IM A GEEK!!! :)

Last edited:
DS, I think that's the brand I saw. Can't upgrade them? As in, switch out the CD-RW drive should it fail (I have bad luck with them), or add more RAM? You're right, however, as I don't want a top-of-the-line computer. I have no need for that kind of power.

Back
Top Bottom