I need healthy snacks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NAchef

Sous Chef
I need to loose a few pounds so I am looking fo rhealthy snacks to eat at work.

I will generally take a small bag of chips to work and eat the whole bag during the work day. ( well, maybe its a large bag)

Anyway, I need something to munch on at work that will curb my appitite yet not carry so many calories!

Any ides would be SO helpful!!!!

Thanks

popcorn is great to much on. get some Molly McButter in either the 5 calorie butter flavor or the 5 calorie cheese flavor. You can get an air popcorn popper for around $25 and sprinkle the Molly McButter on your popcorn. It will only be about 36 calories per cup, it's very low in saturated fat, has no cholesterol, very low in sodium, very low in sugar, and high in fiber.

You can do popcorn in a brown paper bag in the microwave without butter. Add your low fat condiments after cooking. I use a bit of icing sugar over mine, no butter. I also used to keep some unshelled lychees by my computer and eat them. Used to slow me down a bit with the unshelling but they were sweet and moist and if it is a bit of boredom making you want to snack, taking the shells off is a distraction. Would never have more than a small handful in a bag and I seldom ate more than four or five during a day. Vegemite on puffed rice cakes were also at my side for a more substantial snack but I doubt you'd like that!! I would also drink more rather than eat.

If it is bordom and/or habit driving your snacking, try doing something else at that time if at all possible. Maybe you are more suited to having small intakes of food a few times during the day rather than eating lunch in one hit. If so, why not make/buy lunch and have it in smaller portions, so you can have a little bit mid-am, have a piece of fruit at lunch (during your designated break) and then finish your lunch mid-pm? You might find it more satisfying overall.

Look at what you are eating for breakfast and lunch. Are they satisfying you? Is the snacking compensating diet choices that don't suit your needs?

Another suggestion, stop taking a snack with you. If it is at your side, you will more likely eat it, irrespective of whether you truly want it. Leave the snacks at home and if you want something go out and buy it. Sure it will cost you more but you might also discover that some of your snacking is habit rather than need, and therefore you will save money in the long run by not supplying snacks every day.

Best advice I can give really, is to look at WHY you snack before you find a new snack.

Try having some oatmeal with fresh fruit for breakfast. Or a bowl of muesli with fruit, both are filling. Breakfast is very important, especially in losing weight!

For some great tasting snacks:

Apples, pears, grapes, bananas... have them with some almonds (but measure the almonds before leaving the house, they are calorie dense but good for you in small quantities)

My favorite snacks are dried fruit with seeds or nuts. Very filling.

Hummus is easy to make and you can measure it out into small containers. Bring fresh chopped veggies for dipping...red bell peppers, cucumbers, carrots, celery. I also hard boil 2 eggs, remove the yolk and put a spoonful of hummus in each half. Great tasty snack with lots of protein!

Luna bars are tasty, not too high in sugar and have a decent amount of protein.

If you like cheese, low-fat mozzarella cheese sticks with some grapes or other piece of fruit is good.

Also make sure to drink at least 64oz of water during the day. I sometimes drink decaf herbal teas if I feel hungry but know I don't need food.

Anything high in fiber would be good to snack on because its going to fill you up.
Like others have said popcorn woud be good. Redkitty mentioned hummus, that is a great snack with some chopped veggies. I like it with a little chopped cucumber and a sprinkle of feta, maybe a whole wheat pita cut into triangles.

Other good snacks would include:
bowl of strawberries or blueberries (any fruit would work)
low fat cheese
boiled eggs
smoothie w/ fat free yogurt and fruit
Nuts, especially almonds or walnuts (only about 1/4 C.)
whole wheat tortilla smeared with low fat refried beans and cheese, microwave it and slice it up.

I bring an orange, peeled and segmented in a container almost every day. Bananas are great for you, and easy to eat at your desk.

Another vote for the veggies! Not just carrot and celery, but radish, cucumber, bell peppers. You can make small wraps using Boston lettuce for the wrap instead of a tortilla. Granola bars. Kellogs has some good tips on the back of their boxes.

The DW and I just need to shed 5-10 pounds, but it's been nagging the crap out of us. We both love to cook AND eat. Not junk food, good food...but maybe not the healthiest. i.e pastas, breaded foods, BBQ. We're trying Alli now to see if it helps. We also started eating larger salads with dinner (from my salad threads) You can get pretty creative with salads and they are very filling. Just pay attention to the amount of dressing and the calories of it. Creamy dressings are higher in fat. We ABSOLUTELY LOVE Ellie Krieger's show on FN. Not only is it a good show, she has some pretty good ideas for substitutes and tips. Some eye-poping facts too, like how chiken wings have more fat than a 1/2 stick of butter.

Good luck. It's hard making the change at first, but the longer you stick with it, the easier and more fun it will be.

Wow! Thanks for the great ideas!

I think I will hit up the store on the way home tonight and see what I can find.

Is there anyway to dry out fruits without buying a dehydrator?

almonds, dry roasted, lite salt, limit portion to 2 oz.

V8 juice by the can (12 oz) 70 calories 2 servings of veg, go for low sodium

hard boiled egg ... protein, 90 calories

If you like nuts, you can pick up some of those "trail mix" bags of mixed nuts and dried fruits. Most corner convienient stors have them for like a dollar a bag.

Ants on a log!!
the PB isn't very light but it will fill you up well.
Hummus on rye crackers.
Veggies veggies veggies

I will generally take a small bag of chips to work and eat the whole bag during the work day. (well, maybe its a large bag)
There have been some really good ideas on this thread, but I think it all comes down to portion control, self awareness and honesty. KNOW how many calories you need and how many you're eating. I track my consumption on The Daily Plate Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, Food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate. It's free, and they have a huge data base that allows you to set and track caloric goals as well as what you are eating. I think there are probably other, similar sites, but I find this one particularly useful and helpful... by keeping track and being honest I have lost about 25 pounds and am at my target weight... but I still feel like I need to track what I eat to keep myself in check.

Only take to work what you plan to eat. Eat what you want but be mindful of portion. If you can't stay out of the chips, weigh 1 oz and put them in a ziploc baggie. Then you'll know how many calories you ate.

I use a calorie counting website too Z, it's how I've lost weight as well. Really helped me understand just how many calories are in the foods we eat! And weighing out small quantities has helped me, especially with nuts, seeds and dried fruits.

I am still in denial about how many calories are in alcoholic beverages though!

Thanks for the link, I will try that. I think it will help to actually see what I am having in a day.

I just looked at the bag of chips, it's a 9-3/4 oz. bag and a total of 1600 calories! eek

Thanks for all the help, I need to do something - not feeling very good about how I look.

Thanks for the link, I will try that. I think it will help to actually see what I am having in a day.

I just looked at the bag of chips, it's a 9-3/4 oz. bag and a total of 1600 calories! eek

Good luck. And keep in mind that items are submitted by users, so it may not always be 100% accurate. I believe it can be really helpful in terms of your personal accountability. Make it your goal to be as precise with your estimates as possible. Even if you can't find the exact item or you do not know what it should be exactly... try to find something that you believe would be close. At least account for something similar. (I probably OVER account more often than UNDER account, just in case). Of course, it is easier if everything you eat has a nutritional label, but that is not always practical.

My GF and I frequently go out dancing with another couple. The female swears up and down that she can only eat about 1,000 calories a day or she'll gain weight. My GF and I look at each other and raise one eyebrow (in skepticism) as we have seen her eat that much in one sitting. She THINKS she knows what she's doing, but she obviously doesn't. While not obese, she is very clearly over weight and could really use some help, but we try not to be pushy.

Back
Top Bottom