I Need Help Dealing with a Cooking Side Effect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad we could almost, but not quite, be of help:LOL: I bet we could offer the same quality of help if it came to drywalling:ROFLMAO:

So just what do you do to make the mess?

Perhaps if you take a little time to analyze WHY AND HOW you are so sloppy,
you might find a solution that way!

Not said to be mean or petty or condescending, etc etc......
I used to be pretty messy when it came to simmering stuff...
So I thought about it, turned the heat down a bit, used a bigger pot, and got
a splatter screen.. and reduced THAT mess by a good 80 percent.
Then another 10 percent when I realized that I could stir slower and put the spoon on a spoon rest.
The last 10 percent I'm still working on, LOLOL!

So just what do you do to make the mess?

Perhaps if you take a little time to analyze WHY AND HOW you are so sloppy,
you might find a solution that way!

Not said to be mean or petty or condescending, etc etc......
I used to be pretty messy when it came to simmering stuff...
So I thought about it, turned the heat down a bit, used a bigger pot, and got
a splatter screen.. and reduced THAT mess by a good 80 percent.
Then another 10 percent when I realized that I could stir slower and put the spoon on a spoon rest.
The last 10 percent I'm still working on, LOLOL!

These are actually good points. Your suggestions are good ones and I've done them with some success.

However, it's what happens when the grease escapes the 'prison' of the pan and is recaptured by my shirt. Remember, I started this thread with the admission that I'm a slob.

I've had great success with Oxi-Clean Carpet & Stain Remover.

Between a dog, a cat, and friends who leave a trail of food or coffee (and wine) across my beige carpet, I had to find SOMETHING that worked! OCC&SR hasn't found anything that can resist it. I imagine it would work on clothes as well.

I, too, am a very, very messy cook. I love too cook, and hate to clean, but also do all the laundry (hubby does the clean up after I cook -- an agreement from when we first started dating almost 30 years ago. It is like a commandment in our house, one of two. This is "S/he who cooks shall not clean." But I DO do the laundry. and yes, I totally forget to put on my many aprons most of the time. The main thing to me is catching the spots before you wash them. Then the various pre-wash treatments stand a chance. If you wait until it comes out of the dryer before you notice it, you are, as we said in the military, in Deep Kimchee. The dryer sets that stain in and you have a much harder problem. When you're finished cooking, take it of (take it all off! haha!), squirt or spray it, then put in the hamper.

The bleach thing cracked me up. It never fails. I'll come home with a solid color, brand new t-shirt or tunic, and decide to do something involving bleach. It is ALWAYS something new. Ouch! You'd think at the old age of 55 I'd know better. Do not touch the bleach.

One solution I used for years was buying wildly printed scrubs tops. They were especially great when I lived in Florida and the years on the road. A spot of bleach or sprinkling of grease would just disappear in the print. I'd buy the holiday prints and had them for every holiday. I have a tendency to severely perspire (OK, I sweat! Like a stevedore!) and they were perfect for those hot kitchens, but looked cute enough when family and friends were there and we sat for dinner. So invest in some wild printed aloha type shirts and give up on the shirts that are going to show every spatter!

Could always try passing it off as a topical patch. As in, trying to quit caffiene, sauce, etc.

As a suggestion you might want to try this full body oven mitt. G U A R A N T E E D to keep spills off what other garments you may or may not be wearing.

Sell_Bomb_Disposal_Suit_BD.jpg

;)

one thing I haven't seen mentioned is Krud Kutter. I get it at my Home Depot store. It's a grease cutter and works fabulously. My son had to clean the grill vents at his restaurant and came over to get help getting the black grease out of his white chef coat. Sprayed the stuff on washed the coat and no grease left not even a tell tale sign of where is had been.

one more tip: avoid popcorn ceilings in your kitchen.

they're a p.i.t.a. to try to clean up splatters, especially nice red tomato sauces. it's actually easier just to repaint, lol.

Did you know that if you pour white wine
on a red wine stain it will disappear instantly?
My daughter gave me a plush velour robe for
Christmas one year. I spilled red wine on it the
very same day (no i'm not a sloppy drunk lol...i
was just trying to open a bottle and it slipped).
I had just read about the wine stain remedy so
I tried it and it worked!! Don't ask me why.

haha, .40...very effective solution

buckytom...you get tomato sauce on
your ceiling?? Your wife must be a saint :LOL:

andyM...instead of cleaning you remodel
your kitchen?? *shaking head*...men. :ROFLMAO:

Preachin' to the choir. I wear a certain kind of shirt around the house and to sleep in, and they have major stains on the lower arms, and forget about getting my aprons clean anymore.

Are you pants ruined too ?

Preachin' to the choir. I wear a certain kind of shirt around the house and to sleep in, and they have major stains on the lower arms, and forget about getting my aprons clean anymore.

Are you pants ruined too ?

Pants are OK.

Couldn't care less about stains on an apron.

One question ... who's doing all the clean up after the kitchen is all a mess with grease and splatters?

I'm always telling my DH and sons, that if they had to clean up after themselves, they would never be as messy as they are.

We share kitchen duties, but didn't always do so. Dh used to ask if it was time to get the ice after I'd done everything else, then I'd clean up the mess also. After we retired, I do the cooking (he can only cook eggs) and he does the cleanup afterward. I do try to keep his cleanup to a minimum since he still doesn't do it as thoroughly as I do.

One question ... who's doing all the clean up after the kitchen is all a mess with grease and splatters?

I'm always telling my DH and sons, that if they had to clean up after themselves, they would never be as messy as they are.

I'm totally responsible for the kitchen. I shop, prep, cook, clean, everything. When SO wants to bake, I let her use my kitchen and I clean up after her too. I also wash and dry my own kitchen towels and dish cloths.

I don't think I'd be more messy if SO did the clean up.

Andy, you have inspired me. I went on ebay and for a $2 or $3 limit, started searching for aprons; I am going to buy a few so I can bleach them, all together, in one load.

I have excellent success with both the new OxiClean gel goo that you smear on with the bumpy end of the stick, and with the dual action spray stuff for most organic stains.

I have specific stain removal tips as well. Anything other than the oily ones giving you grief?

Alix, I owe you big time! We bought the Oxi stuff and SO tried it on my T-Shirt and it worked great. Thanks for letting us know about the stuff.

I actually made a list of all the recommendations and I'll use them as needed.

Thank you all for taking the time to offer help.

Alix, I owe you big time! We bought the Oxi stuff and SO tried it on my T-Shirt and it worked great. Thanks for letting us know about the stuff.

I actually made a list of all the recommendations and I'll use them as needed.

Thank you all for taking the time to offer help.
Glad to know it helped! We're a messy family so I am always looking for new stain removers.

Back
Top Bottom