I Need Help Dealing with a Cooking Side Effect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Hello, my name is Andy M. and I'm a slob.

When I cook, everything gets dirty. Counters, floors, stove, walls, ceilings, windows and clothing. It's the clothing that's the issue.

I manage to get all kinds of stains on my clothing. Mostly oil/fat based stains on cotton shirts. SO is about ready to get violent with me. She often has to wash an item several times to get the stains off and she asked for help. She even bought me a NE Patriots apron but It doesn't seem to work unless I wear it.

She uses Tide detergent and has tried pre-soaking, Spray and Wash, Shout, those Tide stain packets and Oxi-Clean. None of these works well.

Can anyone out there help me out?

I have excellent success with both the new OxiClean gel goo that you smear on with the bumpy end of the stick, and with the dual action spray stuff for most organic stains.

I have specific stain removal tips as well. Anything other than the oily ones giving you grief?

I have excellent success with both the new OxiClean gel goo that you smear on with the bumpy end of the stick, and with the dual action spray stuff for most organic stains.

I have specific stain removal tips as well. Anything other than the oily ones giving you grief?

I think it's mostly oil based stuff, Alix. Thanks for the tips. I'll pass them along.

Welcome Andy M... :)

Here are some suggestions:

1. Wear the apron
  2. Cook nude - no laundry issues
  3. Change your light bulbs out for lower watt bulbs (try 20 watts)
  4. Immerse all your clothing in fry oil and wash once. New spots will not display on fully 'spotted' clothing.
  5. Man up and do your own laundry or..
  6. Explain that some diners leave tips for great food - others just do the laundry and basque in the feeling of being part of a great culinary adventure
  7. Get take out - every night until household standards are lowered
  8. and finally - SLOW DOWN!

My DH has this very same issue - he trashes his clothing and the floors when cooking. All could be avoided if he were just a little slower.... there is no need to splatter every surface. Really!
:chef:

Hello, my name is Andy M. and I'm a slob.

When I cook, everything gets dirty. Counters, floors, stove, walls, ceilings, windows and clothing. It's the clothing that's the issue.

I manage to get all kinds of stains on my clothing. Mostly oil/fat based stains on cotton shirts. SO is about ready to get violent with me. She often has to wash an item several times to get the stains off and she asked for help. She even bought me a NE Patriots apron but It doesn't seem to work unless I wear it.

She uses Tide detergent and has tried pre-soaking, Spray and Wash, Shout, those Tide stain packets and Oxi-Clean. None of these works well.

Shut the blinds and cook naked. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

:)Barbara
LOL @ Janet, you beat me to it!

Last edited:
I wear an apron. Not one of those frou-frou ones.... I wear the kind they sell in restaurant supply places that really cover your clothing up.

My mom started me out in one of her aprons when I was a toddler, so I grew up used to the big ones. My aunt used to make me "cute" ones, but now that she's gone, the restaurant supply aprons work just fine, and I have very little damage to my clothes. :LOL:

OK, just gotta say this...you folks who recommend cooking nude have clearly never tried it. With Andy's particular "issue" let me just say OUCH!!!! Without giving TMI, I have occasionally had to dash into the kitchen sans clothing to rescue something and have a rather lovely scar on my belly to show for it.

Andy, the OxiClean stuff is quite the miracle stuff. I found a blouse that had gone through washer and dryer with oily stains on it, used the goo (x2) and all gone.

Last edited:
She even bought me a NE Patriots apron but It doesn't seem to work unless I wear it.

I have a Loony Tunes one that works the same way (or is that doen't work the same way).

I find that if I treat the stain as soon as possible it helps get it out easier and be sure to check to see if it is gone before it gets put into the dryer or hung on the line. If you can't treat the stain a good 15 minutes before it goes in the washer to let thing work.

We use Tide as a pretreat and an old tooth brush to lightly brush the stain. Sometimes Spray and Wash goes on top of that as well. Some stains should be blotted not brushed (like tomato sauce).

For grease stains, have you tried Dawn dish soap?

BTW - Happy Friday everyone! Looks like quiet a gang here this afternoon.

Last edited:
I have a related issue actually. Mine is bleach and my memory. For some reason, when I use bleach I seem to get some of it on my clothes. The problem is, I don't think to put on something old. I seem to always be wearing a new shirt or pants (or not new, but with no stains, etc.).

:ohmy:Barbara

Tell her there are people out there who do not have their eyesight and she should be happy she can see your stains and should appreciate them.

Oh wait, you like her and want to keep her around so disregard my advice.

Borax...yes the 20 mule team variety! Soak clothing in hot water and 1/2 cup of borax BEFORE washing it!!!! Then I add borax to the wash, too. I, too, have a tough time remembering to wear one of my many aprons. And I usually cook in my PJ's.

Aprons are for girls :innocent:

Get a set of cooking clothes that you only wear when you cook. Then you can stain them all you want and not care.

I have a related issue actually. Mine is bleach and my memory. For some reason, when I use bleach I seem to get some of it on my clothes. The problem is, I don't think to put on something old. I seem to always be wearing a new shirt or pants (or not new, but with no stains, etc.).

:ohmy:Barbara

I always manage to get bleach spots on my black t-shirts, the ones with the funny sayings:ROFLMAO:...Rub a dub laundry markers!!!

Borax...yes the 20 mule team variety! Soak clothing in hot water and 1/2 cup of borax BEFORE washing it!!!! Then I add borax to the wash, too.

I completely forgot about Borax. Mom used to use that all the time. Funny how we forget about the TNT methods. I may just have to give some a try myself.

BTW - Happy Friday everyone! Looks like quiet a gang here this afternoon.

Happy Friday...it's the first Friday I've had off from work in years. I'll try to liven things up, if I get a second cup of coffee!!!

Shrek is off to buy another guitar...like he needs one more guitar.

I completely forgot about Borax. Mom used to use that all the time. Funny how we forget about the TNT methods. I may just have to give some a try myself.

Shrek was a baker for many years and his white uniforms always had oily stains that would actually burn in the dryer. I tried everything before I remembered borax and presoaking in a dishpan of hot water.

I always manage to get bleach spots on my black t-shirts, the ones with the funny sayings:ROFLMAO:...Rub a dub laundry markers!!!
I had a pair of light blue maternity pants (obviously 30 years ago!) that had a little bleached out spot. I happened to have a light blue crayon lying around that was the exact same color, so whenever I wore them, I just colored that little spot in and no one ever knew.

:)Barbara
P.S. Andy--also try a degreasing dishsoap, such as Dawn. The tips you have gotten so far (borax, etc.) are pretty good ones. :cool:

Yeah, you guys are a lot of help. :mad:

Let's see, I should cook naked so the sizzling hot grease that hits my shirt can now land directly on my naked flesh. Really good idea. :ohmy::ohmy:

If I don't think to, or take the time to put on an apron, what makes you think I'd put on cooking clothes? :glare:

BTW, "man up and do your own laundry'... really? First of all, I'm not allowed to touch the laundry except for the load if kitchen towels and dish cloths I do for myself. Second, If I'm asking for help for the family laundry expert, what chance do I have of getting things clean??:mellow::mellow:

Although, the "immerse your clothing oil" idea may nave some merit. :LOL::LOL:

All kidding aside, I'll pass along the Oxi clean and borax ideas along with the combo pre soaks etc.

Thanks guys for the tips and the laughs.

PS: If I cooked any slower, we'd be eating Sunday dinners on Tuesdays.

Back
Top Bottom