I Quit!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went cold turkey on coffee January 1, 2008. Man did I have a headache for three weeks. Now, I laugh at my DH who can't get going without his morning cup of tea or a friend who comes to stay with me every now and again (she has to bring her coffee maker--got rid of mine) and her own coffee. She drags around until she gets her caffeine hit. I discovered I didn't even like the taste of coffee--hence, the reason I quit. I do use coffee in recipes, but don't drink it (well, I drink it about 2-3 times a year after dinner at a friend's).

I'm real addicted to coffee. I do think it's more of a mental thing. I give you props for quitting. I would be that guy who has the headaches. I am down to one cup a day.

I'll give uo everything else, I refuse to give up my coffee...the doctor knows better than to even mention it.

I gave in and bought egg-beaters today...we'll see. Also swapped out some items we were buying for those with less sodium. I think the salt thing is going to be tougher than the fat.

good job, your highness. i quit salting food thirty years ago. i buy anything that is lightly salted or no salt that i can. now the coffee questions. dr. told me it raises your blood pressure. told him that "if i give up everything you say, might as well get busy digging my grave." i have given up, sex, spirits and for the most part sugar. refuse to do more. i know that everyone dies from something. no one goes out from good health. lol

good job, your highness. i quit salting food thirty years ago. i buy anything that is lightly salted or no salt that i can. now the coffee questions. dr. told me it raises your blood pressure. told him that "if i give up everything you say, might as well get busy digging my grave." i have given up, sex, spirits and for the most part sugar. refuse to do more. i know that everyone dies from something. no one goes out from good health. lol

The salt thing is crazy, I barely salt anything as it is and use only fresh ingredients. The chili verde I'm making tonight needed about 1/2 tsp of salt for a 2 quart pot, once I had it cooked.

I told my dr. the same thing...after giving up almost everything else, I have to keep my coffee. I'll still use regular sugar, too.

babetoo said:

This is a great article on the health affects of coffee. It explains why the opinion on whether coffee is good or bad keeps flip flopping (coffee is good for some things, bad for others, and of course like anything, isn't good for everyone), and how a lot of previous studies didn't take other diet and exercise factors into account. It also explains that someone who is not used to caffeine will see a more dramatic raise in blood pressure from drinking coffee, but after just one week the effect will be less substantial. There are quite a few other interesting facts, but I thought I'd throw a few out there for the people who don't feel like reading the whole article ;)

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/questions/coffee/

Every once in awhile an acquaintance will say something about this or that bad habit, and I joke, "You do know what the mortality rate is in this country is, don't you?" You'd be surprised at how almost everyone has to stop and think for a minute!

It cracks me up when someone dies (be it a celebrity or an acquaintance) and someone says, well he died of .... (whatever), he shouldn't have (take your pick, eaten that fatty breakfasts, drink so much, smoked). Well, OK if the person was young, but when the person was over 90 ...

When I was younger, old people just died of old age. Heart disease, cancer, etc. just wasn't mentioned. Heck, look at Jack LaLanne! Didn't he have another decade in him?!

I have no desire to stress myself out quitting something I enjoy.

The mere thought of giving up coffee...:ohmy::ermm::mad:

Well, simply put...I am NO LONGER at risk for a heart attack...three weeks ago, the day after I quit smoking, I had a heart attack.

I do not wish to repeat it. Even though I walked out of the hospital 8 hours later, with a stent in my heart and I feel better than I have for a while...I still don't want it to happen, again.

So, I'm pretty set on trying to limit my sodium intake and my fat intake. I don't see my self ever picking up cigarettes, again...that was a decision I made before the heart attack. However, I will not give up my coffee.

OMG.......did I really read that right PF????????

You had a heart attack several days ago and this is the first you've mentioned it??? Holy bat guano!!
I'm shocked and so glad you're ok. Geeeze, girl!!

The salt thing is crazy, I barely salt anything as it is and use only fresh ingredients. The chili verde I'm making tonight needed about 1/2 tsp of salt for a 2 quart pot, once I had it cooked.

I told my dr. the same thing...after giving up almost everything else, I have to keep my coffee. I'll still use regular sugar, too.

Okay, here is a tip I learned at school. For anything you are simmering - sauce, soup, broth, even stew meat, etc. DON'T add ANY salt while it is cooking even if the recipe states it. What happens is the liquid evaporates and the salt content doesn't. I now add salt at the end and I use so much less and get great flavour. I never have to salt at the table (though I am known to be "salt challenged" when it comes to my cooking :LOL:).

I am having to go "cold turkey" on sugar. Not easy for a cake baker/decorator (though I have no outstanding orders at the moment on purpose). So far not doing too well when it comes to chocolate, but am really starting to be turned off by things that are "too sweet".

Anyway, keep up the good work. I am so proud of you!

Last edited:
After having to get rid of a beautiful split pea soup I learned to add any salt at the very end of cooking.

I seasoned the split peas when I still had about 20 minutes of cooking. It went from wonderful to unpleasantly salty that quickly.

I've even gotten to the point that I just salt the bowlful instead of the whole pot.

Oh, Fiona! I hope you're doing OK, and that this was just a wake-up call. I know you were trying to quit anyway, and have no idea of your age. But all of the gal friends I have had die prematurely of heart disease were heavy smokers. So know that we are with you, we don't want to lose you!

Last edited:
OMG.......did I really read that right PF????????

You had a heart attack several days ago and this is the first you've mentioned it??? Holy bat guano!!
I'm shocked and so glad you're ok. Geeeze, girl!!

Yes, It happened on the 9th...scared the heck out of Shrek and made me rethink a few things. I let the Admins and Mods know in case I disappeared for a bit. But, I didn't have to do that and I truly am doing great!

Kinda wanted to wait until it wasn't freaking me out before I talked about it at large. I've amazed many people with my quick recovery...I just hate being sick:LOL: Thanks, Kayelle!

Okay, here is a tip I learned at school. For anything you are simmering - sauce, soup, broth, even stew meat, etc. DON'T add ANY salt while it is cooking even if the recipe states it. What happens is the liquid evaporates and the salt content doesn't. I now add salt at the end and I use so much less and get great flavour. I never have to salt at the table (though I am known to be "salt challenged" when it comes to my cooking :LOL:).

I am having to go "cold turkey" on sugar. Not easy for a cake baker/decorator (though I have no outstanding orders at the moment on purpose). So far not doing too well when it comes to chocolate, but am really starting to be turned off by things that are "too sweet".

Anyway, keep up the good work. I am so proud of you!

That's what makes me laugh, I barely use salt to begin with...I actually have a problem with the Penzey's season salt, they are much too salty. I'm going to end up giving those away.

Thank you, Laurie...your opinion means a lot to me!:)

Oh, Fiona! I hope you're doing OK, and that this was just a wake-up call. I know you were trying to quit anyway, and have no idea of your age. But all of the gal friends I have had die prematurely of heart disease were heavy smokers. So know that we are with you, we don't want to lose you!

Thanks Claire...I am 50 years old and had smoked for 39 years. I have had problems with High blood pressure for a couple of years, but never anything going on with my heart.

By the time I knew what what going on, I made it to the ER just in time. Had a small one that was controlled with nitro and then the big one hit, last thing I heard was a very nice voice telling someone to, "Give her the drugs"...I woke up later with the stent. 6 hours later we stopped and went grocery shopping on the way home from the hospital. Actually I was more worried about Shrek, he was a mess.

But, like I said, I'm doing great and yesterday I walked 10 miles...I think that is a good number to stick with. I'm going to be trying out some slow jogging after I have my cardiology follow-up appointment on Thursday. See if I can start adding some strength training.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Thanks Claire...I am 50 years old and had smoked for 39 years. I have had problems with High blood pressure for a couple of years, but never anything going on with my heart.

By the time I knew what what going on, I made it to the ER just in time. Had a small one that was controlled with nitro and then the big one hit, last thing I heard was a very nice voice telling someone to, "Give her the drugs"...I woke up later with the stent. 6 hours later we stopped and went grocery shopping on the way home from the hospital. Actually I was more worried about Shrek, he was a mess.

But, like I said, I'm doing great and yesterday I walked 10 miles...I think that is a good number to stick with. I'm going to be trying out some slow jogging after I have my cardiology follow-up appointment on Thursday. See if I can start adding some strength training.

Wow, that is amazing. I don't think I've ever walked ten mikes in my life! Well, I guess that's not completely true- one time last summer I disc golfed 63 holes in one day, and that is probably about ten miles, all up and down hills, but it was spaced out throughout the day, and you stand around quite a bit while other people are throwing, and you're having so much fun you don't even notice til your legs are sore the next day. Anyway, I am a big supporter of finding things to do where you get exercise, but it's also fun so you stick with it. Indoor rock climbing is great strength training, and it is very fun and challenging, and if you enjoy walking, you should try changing it up now and then and going for a hike in the woods (maybe drag shrek along?). I would bet money there is a mall walker community at the mall you go to, too. Exercising with a group can help you stay motivated. After the initial shock of the heart attack wears off, and you start feeling good, and normal you can start to slip back to your old ways, so it doesn't hurt to think about that beforehand and take steps to make sure your future self doesn't sabotage your current efforts ;) Glad you are doing so well!

Katie

Wow, that is amazing. I don't think I've ever walked ten mikes in my life! Well, I guess that's not completely true- one time last summer I disc golfed 63 holes in one day, and that is probably about ten miles, all up and down hills, but it was spaced out throughout the day, and you stand around quite a bit while other people are throwing, and you're having so much fun you don't even notice til your legs are sore the next day. Anyway, I am a big supporter of finding things to do where you get exercise, but it's also fun so you stick with it. Indoor rock climbing is great strength training, and it is very fun and challenging, and if you enjoy walking, you should try changing it up now and then and going for a hike in the woods (maybe drag shrek along?). I would bet money there is a mall walker community at the mall you go to, too. Exercising with a group can help you stay motivated. After the initial shock of the heart attack wears off, and you start feeling good, and normal you can start to slip back to your old ways, so it doesn't hurt to think about that beforehand and take steps to make sure your future self doesn't sabotage your current efforts ;) Glad you are doing so well!

Katie

I do hike, in the summer. I don't lead a sedentary lifestyle...but I still had a heart attack. I also ride my bike in the summer. Right now, my problem is reining my activities back until cleared by the doctors to resume my prior activity levels. And I still had a heart attack!

i am so glad you are ok. salt is easy for me, sugar harder, and coffee impossible. i am 72 and my long walks are long over. the bike was bought to build muscles in my legs. anything else is just gravy. i have been smoking for almost 54 years. i can't even imagine trying to quit. i have cut it way down this past year. my salt restriction is so i don't retain fluid. to much and or might have congestive heart failure again. we can only do the best we can just please don't overdue the exercise. what does Dr. said about exercise or have you asked.?

i am so glad you are ok. salt is easy for me, sugar harder, and coffee impossible. i am 72 and my long walks are long over. the bike was bought to build muscles in my legs. anything else is just gravy. i have been smoking for almost 54 years. i can't even imagine trying to quit. i have cut it way down this past year. my salt restriction is so i don't retain fluid. to much and or might have congestive heart failure again. we can only do the best we can just please don't overdue the exercise. what does Dr. said about exercise or have you asked.?

Last spring, I found my ankles were swollen by evening or earlier every day.

I found a household hint that Witch Hazel works to repair varicose veins. I bought some as I have patches of broken veins around my ankles, and I just moistened a cotton ball with straight WH and painted the varicose veins on my ankles and around the edge of my feet where veins show.

5 days later, no more swollen ankles. I did it every day for a couple of months, but have since changed to a couple of times a week. That was about 9 months or more ago, and I haven't had swollen ankles since. Not even once.

BTW, I bought socks, which restrict circulation, so I cut the tops off leaving about an inch of the cuff, so I don't get the swelling from that any more either.

Last edited:

I go to my first appointment with the Cardiologist tomorrow. He wrote an order for me to get 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week on my discharge orders 3 weeks ago. I have been walking faithfully every day, Monday I extended it to a couple of hours of walking and shopping, with an actual walking time of 1.5 hours.

I spoke with a pharcmacy consultant today about my various supplements and the medications I am taking and got good information on what to get rid of in the supplements and good ideas on the other meds to reduce side effects.

I'll be discussing the salt issue tomorrow...I really do not use that much salt on a regular basis. My pharmacy consult sees what I eat on a daily basis (she works at my facility) and has had my soups and stews. She agrees that I don't use much salt and my fat intake is negligible. Kinda nice to have my own barometer for my diet hanging around...and she likes my cooking:LOL:

Upshot, tomorrow I find out what I will be allowed to do, I'm getting kinda antsy and want more activity.

Back
Top Bottom