I remember...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for starting this Lefse, it's making me think of ..no FEEL things I've forgotten and that's a very good thing.

I remember my boyfriend sitting at the bar in our kitchen in Malibu.
He sat on the bar stool watching me make an entire leg of lamb meal, all the trimmings.
We were 9th grade and he'd never had lamb let alone leg of lamb.
When the meal was done and prepared, we sat and ate it.
He was amazed at the mint jelly you were to add to each bite of the lamb.
He loved it and was surprised at how good 'lamb' could taste.
I remember thinking "he's so cute" and he's in 'my' kitchen.
He still is and he still is;)

Wow----a partner from 9th grade still in your kitchen and your Mom hasn't sent him home yet?????.........jest kidding........that's so romantic, Lefselover..........leg of lamb with mint jelly....no wonder he's hung around for so long........:):):)

Wow----a partner from 9th grade still in your kitchen and your Mom hasn't sent him home yet?????.........jest kidding........that's so romantic, Lefselover..........leg of lamb with mint jelly....no wonder he's hung around for so long........:):):)
yea, he 's a smart man.
my parents always loved him so that's why he's still welcome;)

I remember why I started this thread. It was in the hope of getting you all to tell us how something made you feel or made you think or made you who you are or made you a better person or was a changing moment [for you] in your life.

I remember thinking we'd understand each other better if we'd pull something from the past and share.

I remember most everything in my life. My memory is that of an elephant, I forget almost nothing.

I remember talking to a DC'er not long ago on the phone and her telling me about her never ending memory. We laughed and realized it's yet one more reason why we really should be next door neighbors. I also remember thinking how grateful I am for her in my life. I simply could not love her more, yet we've never met. GIG;)

I had known of my wife for a long time as we both worked at the same hotel and I knew who she was then after many years I was promoted to Ex.Chef at the hotel and I was grinding meat in the butcher shop and had my back to the world she came up to talk to me and touched me on the back. With out thinking I rared back with my elbow an caught her right in the mouth. I was mortified, I apologised many times. the next day I sent her a dozen rose's and a card. Three years later we were married
I had her love and devotion for twenty five wonderful years. She passed in November 94. I still miss her

My long term memory is great----the short term is a different matter (different locations in the brain, I believe---one is home and the other is out to lunch)

as far as people who inspired me I would have to say my German-born grandmother (my dad didn't speak English until he attended school).........I think that I was her favorite.....she worked hard and never had much money but she and my grandfather owned their home and land around it......she lived frugally.....the chenille bedspread eventually became curtains.......old dresses became aprons.......she kept a pot by the sink and all kitchen scraps including egg shells went in it and that was fed to "Pal"..........my 2 sisters and brother were welcomed every summer to stay with them........bread for the week was made early Mon. morning before it became hot........bacon grease was saved for everything but the most wonderful treat was popcorn which she popped every afternoon while our cousins joined us and made fresh lemonade.......but the most wonderful thing that I inherited from her was her love of nature and flowers........she loved her garden and I learned so much from her...roses were her favorite and she had a beautiful old green glass pitcher that she would arrange her yellow roses in........you know, they tell you to go to a "safe place" when you feel stressed in your mind and mine is her backyard with the roses, petunias, hollyhocks, bachelor's buttons, etc., and her gorgeous butterfly bush "tree"-----and her .............

I had known of my wife for a long time as we both worked at the same hotel and I knew who she was then after many years I was promoted to Ex.Chef at the hotel and I was grinding meat in the butcher shop and had my back to the world she came up to talk to me and touched me on the back. With out thinking I rared back with my elbow an caught her right in the mouth. I was mortified, I apologised many times. the next day I sent her a dozen rose's and a card. Three years later we were married
I had her love and devotion for twenty five wonderful years. She passed in November 94. I still miss her
Your story is beautiful Dave. how much you loved her is priceless, did she ever recover from that thump? *winking......
My long term memory is great----the short term is a different matter (different locations in the brain, I believe---one is home and the other is out to lunch)...as far as people who inspired me I would have to say my German-born grandmother (my dad didn't speak English until he attended school).........I think that I was her favorite.....she worked hard and never had much money but she and my grandfather owned their home and land around it......she lived frugally.....the chenille bedspread eventually became curtains.......old dresses became aprons.......she kept a pot by the sink and all kitchen scraps including egg shells went in it and that was fed to "Pal"..........my 2 sisters and brother were welcomed every summer to stay with them........bread for the week was made early Mon. morning before it became hot........bacon grease was saved for everything but the most wonderful treat was popcorn which she popped every afternoon while our cousins joined us and made fresh lemonade.......but the most wonderful thing that I inherited from her was her love of nature and flowers........she loved her garden and I learned so much from her...roses were her favorite and she had a beautiful old green glass pitcher that she would arrange her yellow roses in........you know, they tell you to go to a "safe place" when you feel stressed in your mind and mine is her backyard with the roses, petunias, hollyhocks, bachelor's buttons, etc., and her gorgeous butterfly bush "tree"-----and her .............
I simply adore this story expatgirl. I can 'see' what you spoke of in my minds eye. Very nice thank you for sharing, see, we all feel better from reading that, at least I know I do.......

I remember all the times I had and have that very long drive home from work. Wee hours of the night, not slept in days and didnt' think I could make it. When I'm really tired, I drive really slowly. I'd look at the speed I was driving wondering when I'd arrive home and think, at this rate going 37 miles an hour on the freeway, I'll never get home. So tired.
I remember the very thing that gets me through those long arduous drives. My own story telling to me. I'd think of a favorite story of mine, turn off the radio, retell my story to me, and then I'd be done with the story and I'd be home. Home sweet home and safe too and into the loving arms of my adoration...

I remember, how it feels to step out of the shadows,leaving behind the moving wall, the thing that was trying to smother me, the horrors that wanted to get me, looking up and seeing my little girl sleeping in a chair beside my hospital bed...I guess my breathing which had been heavy and was now quiet, woke her..She look back at me and tears ran down her face..You see she had been in that chair without leaving for 2 days..
I remember how much I loved her then
I remember how good it felt to be moved to a quiet room of my own
I remember the joy of having my whole family surround me
I remember some wonderful cards from my DC friends
I remember to be grateful each and every day
kadesma

I remember wantiing grandma to fight back.
I remember her saying it's not worth it.
I remember her look that said just forget it, sit down, let him win, it's easier.
I remember thinking I'd never understand.
and then... sadly... I understood.

I remember the first time I complained about my dang kidneys giving me more grief than I knew how to bare. Then I remember someone, honestly it could have been any one of you, sent me a PM about Kades. Put everything into perspective and now I claim victory over my kidneys and continue to pray for Kades...

I remember the first PM I got on DC and I realized that there were real people, good people on the other side of this silly computer.

I remember wrapping my sick little Bailey in a pink blanket and taking her to the vet to have "it" done-and crying and crying and crying over it-and it hurts as much right this second as it did then.

I remember posting about it, with tears streaming down my face, and the outpouring of love and understanding from so many here at DC. I found out that day how many friends I have that I will likely never meet-many of whom will forever hold a very special place in my heart.

I remember seeing my sister off to the airport last week and reminiscing about the relationship we used to have-and how I won't let anything come between us ever again. Life is simply too short.

I remember that my Mom's mulled wine was better than this one,
I wish she remembered what recipe she used.
I WANT to remember to write down all my favorites and keep them somewhere my kids can find them one day.... or help me find.
:)

I remember, how it feels to step out of the shadows,leaving behind the moving wall, the thing that was trying to smother me, the horrors that wanted to get me, looking up and seeing my little girl sleeping in a chair beside my hospital bed...I guess my breathing which had been heavy and was now quiet, woke her..She look back at me and tears ran down her face..You see she had been in that chair without leaving for 2 days..
I remember how much I loved her then
I remember how good it felt to be moved to a quiet room of my own
I remember the joy of having my whole family surround me
I remember some wonderful cards from my DC friends
I remember to be grateful each and every day
kadesma

oh, that makes tears well up------you're a great writer of your thoughts and feelings.........you know we're all here for you...........hugs, debs

I remember wantiing grandma to fight back.
I remember her saying it's not worth it.
I remember her look that said just forget it, sit down, let him win, it's easier.
I remember thinking I'd never understand.
and then... sadly... I understood.

Wow....

I remember when penny candy actually cost a penny!!

I remember when mom would send me to the store on my bike, at night, and she knew I would be OK

I remember when your neighbors really were "neighborly" and looked out for one another-actually making eye contact on purpose!!

I remember not once ever needing for anything ever as a child, and I remember finally realizing at about 19 yrs of age that we were the poor people in our neighborhood-and my Mom (may she rest in peace) never once let on

I remember hitting a whopper of a home run in little league and walking on sunshine for weeks afterwards.

Thanks LEFSE for starting this thread-I could go on forever......:)

I remember things in my life that shattered this youngster.
I remember things in my life that made me strong.
I remember many times, thinking if you dare say anything to one of my family members that you shouldn't, no matter my size or age, I'll take your head off.
I remember life was much more calming than it is now.

I remember those cold mornings and my dad whistling that song they played on the bugle for the Army,so we would get up.
I remember the smell of coffee and knowing that hot chocolate was waiting too.
I remember that sweet smell of my first baby,he smells just as good now
I remember watching all those ballgames football,basketball,tennis and also being the mom who drove
I remember being called to the high school, worried my girls had done something wrong..My oldest was going to be crowned Homecoming Queen:)
I remember the next year same thing only it was my baby girl
I remember Cade being born and his dad putting him in my arms...Heaven
I remember, I have much to be grateful for, all of you and my babies
kadesma

I remember why I wanted to make this sight home! Because it is filled with REAL and genuine people.
Thank you for sharing a bit of yourselves, helps you to remember you are not alone in this big, often ugly world!:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom