I seriously think maybe we should start a co-op

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I was reading today's thread of what's for dinner and BuckyTom asked what to do with all their arugula. I'm thinking, gad, please, send it my way.

Same as I have so many tomatoes/basil/rosemary/shallots/garlic...oh can we talk here?

Conversely though, I can't get my hands on wild mushrooms unless I pay tons of money at the market and I bet some people in here have easy access to fields of morels or any other kind of great mushrooms.

How stupid is this idea or has it been thought of before? It's okay, go ahead. If so, is it maybe not the safest thing to do exchanging our addresses as we never know who's on the other end? I've sent stuff out to people before, like a favorite orange jam I can get easily here in Southern California. It's not marmalade and contains no orange rind and makes the flavors of things, ie. chicken, orange roughy, dream cake, etc. have a new twist. There weren't problems sending or receiving. Also I got wonderful bay leaves from Greece I think it was and so appreciated them. I'll have them stored in my frig forever. Use them often and love the story behind them, getting them sent to me by someone here. What a concept.

Okay, thoughts on the subject, it's okay whatever they are, I've had my coffee today....:huh: :ROFLMAO:

Non perishables for us UKers would be ok, I get the feeling that if I sent some nice home grown radishes to the USA for instance, they would be quarantined as a biohazard by the time they got there :)

so you`de have to be pretty selective in what you sent/asked for.

other than that, it seems perfectly workable to me.

i wish i could send you some, lefse. i'm turning green, and slightly bitter from eating so much of it. :rolleyes:

i agree with yt, that persishables would be difficult. but i might be able to can some stuff, like tomatoes, and send that on.

i'm currently awaiting the pepper seeds that yt sent me. i'm gonna try to grow them this year. if i'm successful, i'll post a pic of me eating one.
i'm not sure if that's a good idea, from what he's told me. :huh:

hey, a seed swap might work, too. i've never collected seeds, but have read much about it.

I think it's a great idea! Could there be a section set up devoted to swaps? People could post what they have or what they are searching for. It seems like for local things, it might be cheaper than ordering online (like I'd probly kill for some good northwest coffee beans and I've looked everywhere, to no avail, for some quality heirloom tomato seeds for next year).

Well I'm liken the ideas here.​

I think the seed thing is a valuable idea indeed.​

I got my heirloom seeds from Totally Tomatoes two or three years ago.
You know what? Some of them don't product a thing, never even pop into little seedlings. I have 15 varieties on my kitchen table now, in baby pots, that I've had growing there in miracle grow sinch March. I bet 1/3 of them never gave me anything. I have them in El Pollo Loco plastic containers that you package up your salsa in. DH is there a lot when I'm working and not home for days. The Green Zebras [or green somethings] a no go, the Black Beauties or Dalia's or whatever they're called, a no go. A couple of peppers, nope. Now I know they're guaranteed but who the heck is going to go to the bother of sending little tiny packages of seeds back? I didn't. So, they got their money and they're laughing, while I'm sitting on the fence after having spent a lot of time in their cataloge trying to figure out which ones to buy due to taste, color, sweetness, size, shape etc. Hum, I'm annoyed.:boxing:

I've tried planting seeds from my own jalepeno's or habanero's and nothing at all. I've heard that the secret with peppers is to dig the hole, place a match:idea: in there and put the seed on top of that. Some kind of reaction that pepper seed has to the contents of a match. << Never has worked for me though.​

I agree about the radishes. Unless they were sent like next day overnight or something, they'd be a bust. But something like morel mushrooms, they'd be fine and even if they weren't at their best when and if they arrived, I could dry them out in my dehydrater and use them forever after removing their moisture.​

A lady I've never met but known for about 15 years, sent me day lillies from her yard. I didn't have any and she lived on the East Coast so I didn't even know they could grow on the West Coast. I, to this day, have her beautiful day lillies every year which makes me smile and think fondly of her. Wish at least I had a mental image of what her face looked like, it's make it easier.:blush:

Please continue with thoughts on this. I won't push this subject, I just thought of it while reading the "buckmeister's" dilemma with arugula.;)

Last edited:
Sparrowgrass, I LMAO at your post. I must be the only person in the whole world who can't grow a zucchini plant and I love them. Send 'em my way!

LEFSE, I love this idea and my only comment would be that we need to exchange our addresses via PM and not on the boards for obvious reasons. I think we should also use our best judgement in trusting the folks we send to. (Witness the Apron fiasco as a lesson to us all)

I can make this thread sticky for you if you like so folks can see what is being offered or make a request and then from there the PM's can fly with addresses etc, but otherwise I don't think DC will be involved in that transaction. Would you like me to do that for you?

And I am so in for the seed thing. I will even offer some Himalayan Blue Poppy seeds once my seed pods are ripe. I have a beauty. (OK, its not edible, but I'm really proud of it anyway. LOL)

sparrowgrass said:
... The neighbors are beginning to turn their lights off and lock the doors when they see me coming.

Sparrowgrass, we had the same problem until we realized that the people who weren't home, oddly enough, seemed to take more than the ones who were home. :angel:

Alix, I would love some of your blue poppy seeds ... Alberta and Wisconsin must have similar weather, right? If they would grow - I would love to see them!

The fresh produce idea might not be that far fetched ... I'll do a little research on how my dad's store gets fresh stuff. I know they use dry ice for everything but how they prevent freezing, that's what I want to find out. We are going to have zucchini out our behinds this year so anyone who wants them - let me know!

This is a great idea Lefselover - thank you for putting it out there!

Last edited:
Alix, I agree with posting the addresses via pm, my first thought was the apron. :( I have been exchanging things with friends on another board for several years. Seeds are VERY popular. Last year I had shiso and edamame seeds, so I kind of spread them around. I also send some a free cooking magazine from our Liquor board to a few. I can now send homemade jams, chutneys etc through Canada Post without customs getting upset, so do that also. Sooooo....I'm in.:)

:) I love the idea of non perishibles.I could send the Hatch Dried Red Chili pods or the ground red chili etc.(New Mexico Specialties).

Here is my blue poppy. Do you know if there is any prohibition about sending seeds in the mail? And yes, Alberta and Wisconsin have very similar growing seasons jmediger, send me your address via PM and when the seed pod is mature I'll mail you some seeds. A warning though, they are TOUGH to get started.

I don't think there is a problem with sending seeds in the mail. The problem is, you have to know for sure about what you are sending. Some plants are not legal in certain areas. Just think about the kudzu mess in the south if you're not sure why. :huh: Also some plant diseases. Most plants aren't a problem though. Whoever you are sending it to should check with the local agricultural department.

This reminds me of a woman I read about in the news several years ago. She traveled all over the world and for souvenirs she collected vials of dirt from different countries. It turned out she wasn't able to do that because of the bacteria in dirt. Same reason you can't drink the water in another country and the natives can--the bacteria they are used to is not the bacteria you are used to. :sick:

:) Barbara

I once lived in the land of no tomatoes--Ely Minnesota. An Indiana friend mailed me a big box of tomatoes.

The postmaster asked me, please, don't do that again. (They were more than a little juicy by the time they got to me.)

When Paul worked at the Post Office they had a lot of strange packages..shipments of baby chicks that broke open..crickets all over the floor, people coming in to pick a URN and ask " what is this" and Paul would say "don't you mean "who was this?" LOL
Marge

Hello Lefselover:)

U can send people your address and phone number, by private message, cant u?

Yeah, I know, what having so much of one thing, and then wishing I had more of something else, to go with it is like. But, I think swapping would only be practical, for those who live close to each other.

Mel

JMediger said:
. We are going to have zucchini out our behinds this year so anyone who wants them - let me know!

now, don't everyone jump at once!

umm, can i get one straight from the plant? :cool:

lol, j/k jmediger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alix:

One type of poppy provides the raw material for the morphine family of drugs. Hope they don't sniff out your seeds and send swat teams.

Andy M. said:
Alix:

One type of poppy provides the raw material for the morphine family of drugs. Hope they don't sniff out your seeds and send swat teams.

That's what I was thinking.

Actually, I believe ALL poppies produce opiates of varying strength. One common topic that comes up frequently in restaurants, is that poppyseeds (used in baking) will show up on a drug test. Heck, I just talked about that last night with a waitress.

My family and I have a small, informal co-op running. Although I've never been on the "giving" end, if I ever produce or acquire a large amount of food, I'll definitely share the wealth with my family.

buckytom said:
...umm, can i get one straight from the plant? :cool: ...

I don't know ... we had some behind one's last night and they were pretty tastey!

Who ever wants them, I will only pick the ones overflowing from the garden ... :angel: Send me your address ... Wisconsin to Jersey - 2 day shipping, should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom