I "Think It's Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I know we are not political, or religious i this forum. I don't. however see this Do as your heart tells you to do.
I share a few links with you, and ask you to share the liks, and your ideas about them with the President, and national, and state leaders.as a political issue. Rather, I see it as a quality of life issue, for our children, and grandchildren.

Think of the goodwill we would show to the world as leaders in combating climate change, and increasing prosperity in the world, more food, more water, for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDgDWbQtlKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTHi7O66pI&t=1186s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSPkcpGmflE There are a host of such videos, each showing cost effective ways to restore the land, and increase prosperity for all. W spend billions as a nation on our military. We spend millions on research to create the perfect batteries. The land, when it becomes desert releases far more carbon dioxide, and methane into the atmosphere than we humans contribute. But the land can capture the greenhouse gasses far better than our technology can.

Maybe this post will be deleted, and seen as political. However, I post it not to promote a personal political objective, but rather to help others become aware of real solutions to our most profound world issue, climate change. LetI hope all of my friends here on D.C. will contact their leaders, and friends about this important issue. I have personally sent the same internet links, with a letter to our current U.S. President. Maybe if we all raise our voices, we can be part of the solution to climate change, and the degradation of our planet,

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm going to bookmark this thread and look at some of those videos at my leisure. I've got supper in the oven and don't want to have to stop in the middle of a video to deal with supper.

Thanks for those. I just binge watched the first three. I enjoyed those, but I don't think I'll bother with the other ones.

And yes, we really need to learn how to be good stewards of the land.

Don't be afraid of electrification of our transportation system. It's a massive step forward.
How the power is generated will be the question but it'll get solved. It may take longer than they are predicting but we'll get there.

If anything it'll get us in the direction sustainable fuels. Off our thirsty oil diet.
I just fueled my truck for about $100.
If it were electric it'd been free from my solar roof. $20 at a recharging station on the road.
I'd have more power, more range and more money in my account is just a bonus.

Also to mention a much more reliable and longer lasting truck.

I had an electric RAV4 for 5 years.
Solar charged at work and at home.
I never plugged it into the grid.
It's only drawback was it's short range and long charging time.
That is all just about solved too.

Recycling solar panels and batteries is pretty much solved as well and coming up to speed.

It's going to be OK kids. We'll all be fine.

Last edited:
Don't be afraid of electrification of our transportation system. It's a massive step forward.
How the power is generated will be the question but it'll get solved. It may take longer than they are predicting but we'll get there.

If anything it'll get us in the direction sustainable fuels. Off our thirsty oil diet.
I just fueled my truck for about $100.
If it were electric it'd been free from my solar roof. $20 at a recharging station on the road.
I'd have more power, more range and more money in my account is just a bonus.

Also to mention a much more reliable and longer lasting truck.

I had an electric RAV4 for 5 years.
Solar charged at work and at home.
I never plugged it into the grid.
It's only drawback was it's short range and long charging time.
That is all just about solved too.

Recycling solar panels and batteries is pretty much solved as well and coming up to speed.

It's going to be OK kids. We'll all be fine.
I doubt we will motivate enough people and politicians to overcome the greed of many corporations. This is not the time to sit back and say it'll be okay. It might. We are making some strides. But, we can't slack off in our efforts to save the eco-sphere.

I doubt we will motivate enough people and politicians to overcome the greed of many corporations. This is not the time to sit back and say it'll be okay. It might. We are making some strides. But, we can't slack off in our efforts to save the eco-sphere.

I think you missed the premise of my post.
Like I said, It'll be ok.

Last edited:
Good thread. I am not a "tree-hugger," but I do love trees. Lots of trees -- I live on a prairie, so trees are a nice thing.

I do what I can to be green, within my budget. Almost all of my light bulbs are LED, when I had to replace my Air Conditioning systems, I went with high efficiency systems, and my daily driver is a MINI CooperS -- a fun car that gets 30MPG around Dallas.

I can't afford a Tesla, although I'd love to have one -- those suckers are FAST. I'd love to go solar, but I don't have enough South facing rooftop -- and would need a lot of federal assistance to buy it.

Texas is oil country, but also has the most wind turbines in the USA -- in spite of all the roadblocks the Texas government puts in the way. It is hard to succeed when the governing bodies want you to fail.

Here is the thing, if everyone does one thing to cut their carbon footprint by ten percent, the cumulative effect would be huge. Twenty percent, even bigger. We don't need to go back to living in caves, riding bicycles 50 miles in the rain to go to work, or any other Draconian measures. 330-million Americans making reasonable adjustments will do a lot.

CD

Last edited:
Hey, Casey, good to see you stopping by! Don't be a stranger, but it's OK if you're strange. ;)
...Here is the thing, if everyone does one thing to cut their carbon footprint by ten percent, the cumulative effect would be huge. Twenty percent, even bigger...
Plant a tree. Most anyone anywhere can plant a tree. Baby steps help, no matter how big a problem might seem.

They haven't gotten a lot of attention, at least not where I live, but many car companies are already working on converting new models to electric-only, along with companies planning on building charging stations. The European Union is already more advanced at this than we are. More and more places are approving solar power, too.
https://mashable.com/article/traditional-carmakers-going-all-electric-vehicles/

My son has an e-car. I drove it for the first time yesterday. Interesting and absolutely great for short distances. They take it to work everyday, charge it every night. DIL didn't quite make it home from work once when they forgot to plug it in night before. Always a first time!

So, although there are charging stations at most Service Centres along the highways, it takes time to recharge. Driving the e-car from east of Toronto to Montreal is not an option at the moment.

Tidbit I heard, biggest complaint was, without the noise of the engine, people were complaining about the sound of the tires. So now they are making tires filled with foam beads (or something like that) to lessen the noise. An option with a price tag! LOL

OMG, I can't believe that about the tires :ROFLMAO: I had a Ford Hybrid for about 10 years and I don't ever remember being bothered by the tires. The lack of engine noise did mean that I had to be especially careful driving in parking lots, though, because people walking couldn't hear me coming and occasionally started to walk in front of me when they weren't watching where they were going.

Good thread. I am not a "tree-hugger," but I do love trees. Lots of trees -- I live on a prairie, so trees are a nice thing.

I do what I can to be green, within my budget. Almost all of my light bulbs are LED, when I had to replace my Air Conditioning systems, I went with high efficiency systems, and my daily driver is a MINI CooperS -- a fun car that gets 30MPG around Dallas.

I can't afford a Tesla, although I'd love to have one -- those suckers are FAST. I'd love to go solar, but I don't have enough South facing rooftop -- and would need a lot of federal assistance to buy it.

Texas is oil country, but also has the most wind turbines in the USA -- in spite of all the roadblocks the Texas government puts in the way. It is hard to succeed when the governing bodies want you to fail.

Here is the thing, if everyone does one thing to cut their carbon footprint by ten percent, the cumulative effect would be huge. Twenty percent, even bigger. We don't need to go back to living in caves, riding bicycles 50 miles in the rain to go to work, or any other Draconian measures. 330-million Americans making reasonable adjustments will do a lot.

CD[/QUOT

With a few days worth of hard work, you can have free air-conditioning, if you locate where all underground pipes, phone, and electric lines run through your land (with the help of Miss Dig), you can use the natural cooling effect of your land, that is, use the ground as a heat sink to cool air.. Dig a four foot deep, by 2 foot wide trench, zig-zagging across your yard. At 4 foot deep, the ground temp. is around 45' F.

Lay 4 inch diameter PVS pipe sections that have been glued together together, into the trench, Bring one open end into your home through an airtight opening, at floor level. Bring the other end strait up, with a u elbow that will cause the opening to face the ground. Refill the trenches, and re-sod, or plant whatever in the soil

Cover both pipe ends with tight weave window screen, and even a heppa filter. Install a wind turbine driven whole house fan on your roof top to remove stale air from the home, By keeping windows and doors closed, fresh, clean, and cool air will be drawn through the PVC pipe, where it will be cooled before entering the home. Just think, no energy consumption, and nothing to break down, I hope this is useful to anyone who can use it,

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

For hot water, and home heating, when building, or improving a home, this - Solar Water Heater | Evacuated Tube Solar Water Heating Collectors & Systems, and this - https://www.sunmaxxsolar.com/product-info/evacuated-tube-solar-collectors/ are just two of many sellers of this proven technology that works in virtually any climate. Up front costs are gemera;;y paid back within a short time due to energy bill savings. You just have to verify that your area's code, and zoning allow the installation. It seems strange, but some places don't allow alternative energy use in homes. I think that it should be allowed everywhere, even encouraged. But that's just me.

OMG, I can't believe that about the tires :ROFLMAO: I had a Ford Hybrid for about 10 years and I don't ever remember being bothered by the tires. The lack of engine noise did mean that I had to be especially careful driving in parking lots, though, because people walking couldn't hear me coming and occasionally started to walk in front of me when they weren't watching where they were going.

With my RAV electric I wished it had an old school sounding bicycle bell behind the front facia. A polite way to warn others you're there.
In 5 years I never replaced the tires.

With the more powerful AWD models hitting the showroom floor that may change.

I bet you don't use snow tires. That's probably what people are complaining about. Winter tires are very useful, but on dry pavement, they can be loud.

Has anyone planted a tree yet? A fruit tree will enrich your table fare, and beautify your yard. In MI, at my home, I planted three sugar maples, 2 cherry trees, two apple trees, a bountiful globe, purple lilac bush, and a couple of spruce trees. I'm not there now. I did this over a ten year period. I also have a bunch of wild strawberries, and raspberries on my side yard, along with 5 lowbush blueberry plants.

Back
Top Bottom