Ice Cream w/wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
they had a taste testing type of affair over the weekend. Alcoholic ice cream is what everyone was raving about. Cost $2.50 for one scoop. Has someone mentioned something about this before that I had not noticed? It was only ice cream where they checked your id to see if you were 21. One flavor Red RAspberry Chardonnay, when it melts in your mouth you can taste the liquor. Sounds so good! Would you pay $2.50 for one scoop?

they had a taste testing type of affair over the weekend. Alcoholic ice cream is what everyone was raving about. Cost $2.50 for one scoop. Has someone mentioned something about this before that I had not noticed? It was only ice cream where they checked your id to see if you were 21. One flavor Red RAspberry Chardonnay, when it melts in your mouth you can taste the liquor. Sounds so good! Would you pay $2.50 for one scoop?

i sure would. how did they freeze the ice cream when it had liquor in it. i have always though it would not freeze. enlighten me please

babe

Of course I would pay $2.50 for one scoop. They charge almost $4 a scoop for regular ice cream at some ice cream places I have been to. Lol.

I wonder how it would freeze as well with alcohol in it.

i sure would. how did they freeze the ice cream when it had liquor in it. i have always though it would not freeze. enlighten me please

babe
Only had writeup about what was featured at the affair. The cost of going to the fair cost $35 and to me that was quite a lot not knowing what they would serve. Evidently this ice cream drew the biggest crowd. The guy has been selling this for less than year. I am sure that he won't give out his secret. Sorry. Just never knew they could have ice cream with liquor or wine.

Anyone with an ice cream machine want to try this out with some cheap wine???

If they were actually checking IDs then he didn't reduce the alcohol- alcohol cooks out of liquid before water does.

As for freezing it while it still contained alcohol (if he actually did this, and didn't use substitutes) he would have used some sort of gelling agent. Gelatin, agar, or maybe even alginate ( though I think this last one is unlikely).

As for the taste- well, I don't don't know that I would very much enjoy wine-flavored ice cream; certain whites might be ok... fruity and sweet ones, but any subtle wines would probably be overpowered by the cream, and I don't really think that reds would do well at all. Crossing cream with red wine (containing alcohol) and freezing it sounds a lot like crossing water and olive oil and pouring it over ice for a cocktail. Can't say for sure until you've tried it though!

There is a company that sells flash frozen ice cream, it turns into tiny balls. It's delicious.. I bet it would work for alcoholic ice cream too.

If they were actually checking IDs then he didn't reduce the alcohol- alcohol cooks out of liquid before water does.

As for freezing it while it still contained alcohol (if he actually did this, and didn't use substitutes) he would have used some sort of gelling agent. Gelatin, agar, or maybe even alginate ( though I think this last one is unlikely).

As for the taste- well, I don't don't know that I would very much enjoy wine-flavored ice cream; certain whites might be ok... fruity and sweet ones, but any subtle wines would probably be overpowered by the cream, and I don't really think that reds would do well at all. Crossing cream with red wine (containing alcohol) and freezing it sounds a lot like crossing water and olive oil and pouring it over ice for a cocktail. Can't say for sure until you've tried it though!

Flavors offered were Red Raspberry Chardonnay, Peach White Zinfandel and Royal Riesling. The name of the place offering the sample is called Frost on the Vine, sounds like appropriate name. Also stated pint of the wine ice cream is equal in alcohol content to a glass of wine. Does that sound right? The article sure made me wish I had been there. Produce made by company based in upstate New York called Mercer's. Sure must have done something right to get so many positive comments. The weather wasn't even warm to want ice cream. People just were mostly at the ice cream booth. Cold, creamy--5% alcohol content. Just enough. Nice! 'Melts in your mouth and you can taste the liquor.

I have seen many places that use booze in their alcohol. I had a guinness ice cream not too long ago.

I am pretty sure that with the ones with more alcohol they just freeze at a lower temp. Alcohol will freeze, it just needs to get cold enough.

Back
Top Bottom