"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-31-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ring of fire. So. Calif.
Posts: 3,287
"If you purchased a 5-ounce can of StarKist chunk light tuna or solid white tuna..."

"...between 2009 and 2014...you could be owed a refund, and you get to choose between $25 in cash or $50 in tuna".

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sorry-...033043887.html

It's about time we got a refund from companies who shrink the product to squeeze out more profit. Being shortchanged, even a little bit, adds up to million$ in profit due to the sheer volume.

__________________

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:53 AM   #2
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 8,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
"...between 2009 and 2014...you could be owed a refund, and you get to choose between $25 in cash or $50 in tuna".
You just know that, if you choose the tuna, the Gorton Fisherman is going to show up at your door with a whole fish over his shoulder, right?
__________________

__________________
I Luv Sandy Eggo!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:50 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ring of fire. So. Calif.
Posts: 3,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
You just know that, if you choose the tuna, the Gorton Fisherman is going to show up at your door with a whole fish over his shoulder, right?
Don't know about that... I submitted my claim. I opted for $50 of tuna instead of $25.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Don't know about that... I submitted my claim. I opted for $50 of tuna instead of $25.
I opted for the check. I am not really nor ever have been a big fan of tuna. Spike checks the website every month. He opted for the tuna. They are still in litigation.

Too late for me. I should have opted for the tuna. Kept a few cans for myself and donated the rest to the church food bank. From the latest news, the checks will only amount to a miniscule amount instead of the $25. It seems more folks wanted money back than the tuna. To honor all cash claims at $25 each would bankrupt the company. So now the court is trying to find a suitable cash amount for each cash settlement without sending the company into bankruptcy.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:01 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
rodentraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 1,421
Addie, the cutoff for filing a claim was November 20th, 2015. So are you still able to get a claim?

I don't really like SK tuna anyway. I always get my tuna from Trader Joe's. It tastes better and it seems like there's more in the can.
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:35 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Addie, the cutoff for filing a claim was November 20th, 2015. So are you still able to get a claim?

I don't really like SK tuna anyway. I always get my tuna from Trader Joe's. It tastes better and it seems like there's more in the can.
No. For those of us who did file a claim, all we can do is wait, and wait, and wait. Spike has been following the court proceedings about once a month. SK is just dragging their heels. At the rate the courts move, I may have to put a codicil on my will and leave the paltry amount to my kids.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:16 AM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ring of fire. So. Calif.
Posts: 3,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I opted for the check. I am not really nor ever have been a big fan of tuna. Spike checks the website every month. He opted for the tuna. They are still in litigation.

Too late for me. I should have opted for the tuna. Kept a few cans for myself and donated the rest to the church food bank.
I was gonna take the cash too, but opted for the tuna. I figure by the time this all gets settled, the cost of tuna will have risen.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I figure by the time this all gets settled, the cost of tuna will have risen.
....and the law firm handling the case makes 10 million dollars...
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:19 AM   #9
Head Chef
 
rodentraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
No. For those of us who did file a claim, all we can do is wait, and wait, and wait. Spike has been following the court proceedings about once a month. SK is just dragging their heels. At the rate the courts move, I may have to put a codicil on my will and leave the paltry amount to my kids.
I wouldn't. They'll get taxed for it.
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:33 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I wouldn't. They'll get taxed for it.
Not likely. Addie doesn't have enough assets to trigger the federal estate tax and immediate family members are usually exempt from inheritance tax.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Not likely. Addie doesn't have enough assets to trigger the federal estate tax and immediate family members are usually exempt from inheritance tax.
You are so right!!!

I figure when Starkist finally does settle, my check and everyone else's will be for less than a dollar. The codicil remark was made in jest. But then I could have the codicil state that the monies are to go into a trust fund. I am open to all suggestions. What should I do with my paltry settlement? Will those who opted for the cans of tuna have to add the market value to their taxes as income?

Oh dear! This settlement (if it ever comes) is opening a whole can of worms for everyone!!!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #12
Head Chef
 
rodentraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 1,421
I should have added a smilie. My remark was made in jest as well.
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:25 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Latest Update!

A decision was finally made the Judge. Then another appeal was filed. Just the news we all wanted to hear. I am beginning to think this is all a hoax.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:06 AM   #14
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,333
In the classroom and 1st pool session, scuba students are taught the first rule when it comes to breathing with compressed air/gas, "Don't hold your breath!"
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:26 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
In the classroom and 1st pool session, scuba students are taught the first rule when it comes to breathing with compressed air/gas, "Don't hold your breath!"
Every time I read about a person on death row, the next sentence states that due to appeals, they have been there for 20 years or more. Can I hold on until I am in my 90's?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:20 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Spike pulled this up for me.

https://www.tunalawsuit.com/home.aspx

The latest and greatest news on the subject as of March 2017.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tuna

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×