I'm back!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
Hello All!

I am now well and truley settled in Milan, it tooka long time to get the internet installe and we have had a few of the normal new house issues but my internet WAS installed this morning, and now I can resume my DC visits - you have all been sorely missed!

The drive over to Italy was.....interesting! I have a small car and was travelling with my two very vocal siamese cats. They are both used to car journeys of a few hours, but one decided to sing good bye to Britain, and kept her song going for most of France. By unhappy coincidence there were very heavy rain storms in France and northern Italy, forcing me to drive the 14 hundred miles or so at about thirty miles an hour. We had hoped to do it straight through, but were often forced by lack of visibilty to just sit at the side of the road.

We drove through UK to the Channel Tunnel in the evening and got a midnight crossing. The weeather was so choppy that the motorway to the tunnel was closed and used as a car park for HGVs waiting for ferries, so we had fun driving through some little villages, and the first leg of France was very very good. The French roads are so excellent. So our first stop was in the Champagne area, where we bought, unsurprisingly, a couple of bottles for Christmas and New year. In Reins we refuelled and found some beautiful rose biscuits...like langues des chats or English trifle sponge biscuits. These are meant to be eaten with Champagne, and they were lovely. In Dijon we bought, well, guess! The mistake was to buy a mustard with cassis in it though....pink mustard might look pretty but the sterong flavoyur of cassis and mustard has to be served very carefully! Then we continued south to Bresse. Excitingly we stopped at a motorway service station I had seen on Heston Blumenthal's tv programme, where he raved about the famouse Bresse chicken at this humble truck stop, so we had chicken and baguette, just as he had done, and the cats had a big meal of chicken too. Crossing the Mont Blanc was terrifying. The visibility had been minimal through the day, but now I could see literally a few metres in front of me and nothing else. There are also roads works ongoing, so nothing dividing the oncoming traffic.....I was regretting eating I was so scared! In the actual tunnel everything was lit and there was some reprieve from the weather, but the other side was Italy!

Italian driving is famously...excitable...the rain had got, if anything, heavier and the motorway was covered in quite deep water. Despite this most of the other drivers were speeding along, merrily flying off the roads and into each other....the cats and I wailed as we pottered along slowly. The only thing I could see rising out of the rain and the darkness (despite driving through two nights and a day, the whole journey was dark because of the rain!!) were amazingly illuminated castles on hillsides either side of the road. At any one time several of these many castles were visable. Arriving at our new home asolutley shattered we had a picnic of our French spoils and slept through and entire wekend, the cats, my DH and I all in a heap. DH flew back to Uk to share the driving, but I am very precious about my car and in the end refused to relinquish the wheel. We spent ages looking for insurance that would allow him to drive it, and I have not yet let him, lol!

This is a long post, huh? I guess you can tell I have misssed DC!:LOL:

welcome back lulu!!!

your trip sounds fantastic. i tried to close my eyes so i could picture being there with you, but then i couldn't read on...lol.

just kidding, :)

great to have to you back safely.

Welcome back indeed! Wondered when you were going to re-surface. Your voice was missed.

Get your strength back. We're expecting a play-by-play as you discover the food of Italy!

Arton, my dear, my stomach is expanding because of the huge amount of on the ground research I am doing for you all! Most of its good, some of it is not to my taste. Worst food ever at the office Christmas party for example! But interestingly enough people keep putting in requests for Entlish food, on the Monday after I arrived I had to get up really early to make 6 dozen scones for DH's boss, and mince pies were absolutely fallen on, I simply could not supply enough to keep up with demand....but now that we are in the new year I am sticking to Italian food for a while.

BTW, I know my typos are getting worse since I was last here but my keyboard has more missing keys than keys there now!

It's wonderful to have you back with us Lulu. Will be looking to hear more of your adventues..
kadesma:)

Welcome back, lulu!! So good to see you aga....wait, I don't know you. Hey, welcome back anyway!

wxtornado said:
Welcome back, lulu!! So good to see you aga....wait, I don't know you. Hey, welcome back anyway!

Well, you do now! How do you do and thanks for the welcome back, lol.

Hello Gobo. I thought of you the other day when a restaurant had the shape of pasta I wanted and the sauce, but would not put them together, rofl!

It's great to have you back, lulu! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. It sounds like you're having a wonderful time so far!

Poor kitties! Poor YOU! Glad you are settled in and back with us. I have missed your cheery posts. Don't leave again for a while OK?

I feel so welcome! I'm going to try and stay here for a while, Alix!

lulu said:
Well, you do now! How do you do and thanks for the welcome back, lol.

Hello Gobo. I thought of you the other day when a restaurant had the shape of pasta I wanted and the sauce, but would not put them together, rofl!

Hehe. Good to know you're not forgetting about me.
Have you continued looking into country music like you had mentioned in my classical music thread?

Yes, I got a few good blue grass links here and I am compiling a list of cd possibilities for my birthday in spring.

Very nice. It's good you keep an open mind.
I don't like country. It's mainly because I hate singing. If any music comes on I can easily ignore the vocals. Being a musician I have to be able to ignore certain parts of the orchestra to keep my part in time. So I can listen to the instruments alone.

Well, (the vocalist shifts uneasily in her chair!) I agree as a musician its important to be able to isolate sound I also think its important to be able to understand the music as a whole. DH plays mainly jazz, and one of the things we "discuss" is the important of ORIGINAL vocals (not ones added later necessarily). I feel they are important to the intepretation of the music, particularly to the audience...a non music literate audience relates to lyrics first....I feel part of being a well rounded musician is appreciating the whole too. (Although I struggle with long bass or drum solos)

Back
Top Bottom